GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 10:39 AM
oksir83
Driver

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99
Maybe the aftermarket tinting helps enhance IR protection (thus what you noticed)...but from UV standpoint, Lexus glass is already top notch.

From link above:

How much protection does the UV glass provide?

UV-A is the component of sunlight that causes a tan.
UV-B is the component of sunlight that causes a sunburn.
IR is the component of sunlight that transmits heat.

Ulta-Violet (UV) Blocking
The glass of our vehicles greatly reduce UV-A and almost completely blocks UV-B. Up to 92% of UV is blocked. UV blocking both helps protect occupants and helps delay aging of the interior upholstery.

Infra-Red (IR) Blocking
The glass of our vehicles reduces IR by up to 73%.
IR blocking helps reduce interior temperatures, so the occupants will be more comfortable, the AC system will have to work less hare, and as a result, the car will get better gas mileage.
92% UV blocking is not really top notch in regards to what is available aftermarket. It is good but there is better out there if you're prone to skin cancer.
Old 10-03-19, 11:39 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tint front doors

I just purchased my new to me GX 460 and I don't like how the back doors are all tinted except the driver and passenger window doors (and of course windshield). I am looking for people's opinion on what they did for front windows or whether they left it as it is
Old 10-03-19, 11:52 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Window tint darkness in Virginia …..The percent of visible light allowed through your car windows is called VLT: Visible Light Transmission. The percentage of light allowed through your film and glass in Virginia is very specific and different for sedan cars and SUV cars or vans.

Tint darkness for SUV and vans: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Source: https://www.tinting-laws.com/virginia/
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com
Old 10-03-19, 12:26 PM
Smokeyyank
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nebrou
I just purchased my new to me GX 460 and I don't like how the back doors are all tinted except the driver and passenger window doors (and of course windshield). I am looking for people's opinion on what they did for front windows or whether they left it as it is
Ill be adding tint to the fronts. In CO 20% is fine. I've ran limo tint on almost everything else I've owned but not ideal for the family cruiser.
Old 10-03-19, 02:29 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Your luck really depends on what area you are in and how bad the cop wants to enforce the rules that day.

I have:
15% ceramic on the front sides,
80% Llumar or Formula 1 ( same company) Air blue 80 on my front windshield (nearly invisible, definitely worth it for the front windshield)
15% on the back sides (on top of the factory darkened windows)
30% on the rear hatch.

Some tint places will help you cut out a spot for the inspection sticker... I think Virginia has the stickers in the middle of the windshield? Just be aware, your front tints will probably be destroyed when they go to remove the expired sticker. Unless you have private inspection facilities that allow you to remove the sticker and install it yourself.

Just be aware, you'll most likely be breaking the law and can be pulled over with a ticket for tints. Usually the rear glass on the SUV's aren't tinted with heat rejection, instead it's just a dye/pigment. At least that's what a few tint shops told me.

15-18% film should match with the rear windows.

Get the ceramic for maximum heat rejection... This will bump up your total price for the tints.
Old 10-03-19, 03:14 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Do you guys see double or even triple reflections or distortion from the back windows after tinting due to the defrost lines?
My wife's Camry defrost lines are a bit thick and the tint film doesn't sit tightly against it causing bad triple reflections. It's pretty bad.
Old 10-03-19, 03:41 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl
Your luck really depends on what area you are in and how bad the cop wants to enforce the rules that day.

I have:
80% Llumar or Formula 1 ( same company) Air blue 80 on my front windshield (nearly invisible, definitely worth it for the front windshield)
30% on the rear hatch.

Some tint places will help you cut out a spot for the inspection sticker... I think Virginia has the stickers in the middle of the windshield? Just be aware, your front tints will probably be destroyed when they go to remove the expired sticker. Unless you have private inspection facilities that allow you to remove the sticker and install it yourself.

Just be aware, you'll most likely be breaking the law and can be pulled over with a ticket for tints. Usually the rear glass on the SUV's aren't tinted with heat rejection, instead it's just a dye/pigment. At least that's what a few tint shops told me.

Get the ceramic for maximum heat rejection... This will bump up your total price for the tints.
My question was not about concerns being pulled over. I don't why poster above you is talking about tint laws where I know that clearly.

There is one point you mentioned regarding rear windows are not tinted. Then why are they way darker than the front windows?
Old 10-03-19, 04:47 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ObsidianBl

I have:
30% on the rear hatch.

My question was not about concerns being pulled over. I don't why poster above you is talking about tint laws where I know that clearly.

There is one point you mentioned regarding rear windows are not tinted. Then why are they way darker than the front windows?
The tint shops were mostly wrong and were just trying to sell you tint. All of the articles talking about factory tint not having any heat rejection are from tint companies, but the glass manufacturers have a different view

Factory glass (including the windshield) has significant UV rejection from the factory. Don't believe it? Put a pair of transition glasses (those eyeglasses that turn dark in the sun) on the dash inside your garage. Drive out into the sun and let the nice sun hit those glasses. They won't turn dark, no matter how long you leave them these.

Then, roll down your window and hold the glasses outside. A few minutes later they'll be nice and dark.

Aftermarket tint, may add additional heat/UV rejection, but it doesn't need to be dark. A nice 80% ceramic tint will provide the same heat/UV rejection over limo tint (5%)

Dark tint is ONLY for cosmetics.

Factory tint is actually tinted glass. If laminated, then the tint is most likely in the laminated center. So the glass is tinted bt it isn't an add-on tint like aftermarket but an integral part of the glass.The VLT of the tint is dependent on the country the car is sold in. In the US, it is limited to the most restrictive state requirements. Go to places in the middle east where dark tint is frowned upon and you'll see the Prado's with 70 or 80% factory tint all around.
The following users liked this post:
ObsidianBl (10-04-19)
Old 10-03-19, 04:51 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

You might want to check your attitude at the door.
Old 10-03-19, 05:15 PM
nebrou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cb1111
You might want to check your attitude at the door.
My attitude? What is wrong with my attitude? I asked a question and one of the posters started talking about laws and obeying them. Is this really someone's business if I obey what tint laws are or not? I am an adult and know what is right and wrong.
Old 10-04-19, 10:27 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

this is suntek carbon 55 for the fronts. I believe that’s second to the lightest available. I almost went with carbon 85 but it was practically clear tint. I did not tint the rest of the vehicle. I’m happy with this choice.

The following 2 users liked this post by ltsr:
bbqsoup (10-04-19), Razel0821 (02-23-22)
Old 10-04-19, 11:11 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ltsr

this is suntek carbon 55 for the fronts. I believe that’s second to the lightest available. I almost went with carbon 85 but it was practically clear tint. I did not tint the rest of the vehicle. I’m happy with this choice.

Thanks for the pictures. I still see some difference between the front and back windows. Is 55 the percentage or just name? Is this ceramic?
Old 10-04-19, 11:15 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the pictures. I still see some difference between the front and back windows. Is 55 the percentage or just name? Is this ceramic?
I didn't care to match the back windows. It's not legal to tint front windows in CA. I really wanted to tint the front windows to tone down the brightness during the day - it's sunny in CA most of the time and this helped cut it down a lot to where the cabin is much more comfortable to me. The tint is light enough where I can still see easily and others can see me. It is not ceramic tint. This is the lower end tint but i'm super happy how it came out. I believe 55 is the level of tint darkness (I could be wrong, not a tint expert). The higher the number the lighter the shade.
Old 10-04-19, 11:48 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts

WTH is up with the “Tint Police” lately? Couple of you are almost taking it to the point of harassment. This is a thread about tint....if you don’t have anything positive to say how about not hijacking the thread, good grief.

To to get back on topic, my Lexus dealer matched the rear windows and installed the tint on the front. I believe it’s 30%.

The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (05-04-22)
Old 10-04-19, 12:19 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Hey there,
The information regarding it being only darker and not tinted with heat rejecting ability was told to me by multiple window tinters. As @cb1111 pointed out, this information could have been incorrectly conveyed to me by the tinting companies. I was searching "privacy glass" on google to get some more information, and for what it's worth a wiki page popped up... I didn't write the wiki page, I promise... but some of the snippets of info on there match up to what the tinters told me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_tint Again, as cb1111 pointed out, this could be the marketing work of their industry.

15-18% will get you closest to matching the rear windows (at least it was for both of my SUVs). I highly recommend ceramic.I can feel the difference when the sun is out. I have Llumar ceramic all around on the GX and got the basic Suntek film for my beater car. They always say to find a great installer first and then choose the tint brand and levels.

As for the "Tint Police" I just wanted people to be aware that some departments or states have less tolerance for tints. Some people reading this thread might not be aware of the various laws each state has. If the comment could help someone else, that's great, and if it didn't it's okay too, since it only took a few seconds out of my day to write it up.
The following 2 users liked this post by ObsidianBl:
DaveGS4 (10-04-19), SteveInCal (10-06-19)

Quick Reply: Tint - Questions/Comments/Concerns