GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

3rd row seat removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-22, 10:55 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Great thread, and very helpful. I just finished mine. My use case is a little different, in that I don't care about overlanding, drawer storage or sleeping inside, but I do want as much storage behind the second row as I can get. The Goose Gear platform would have worked OK, but it seems really overpriced, and still wastes a little space around the "wing" areas, and in what would be the footwell of the 3rd row.

The first step after removing the 3rd row (documented by others earlier in this thread) was sound deadening. Noico 80mil sound deadening mat went down first. (
Amazon.com: Noico 80 mil (2 mm) 36 sqft (3.4 sqm) car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening : Automotive Amazon.com: Noico 80 mil (2 mm) 36 sqft (3.4 sqm) car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening : Automotive
) This stuff has gotten stupid expensive, but I had a box left over from doing a similar job on my Excursion in 2019.

After that was down, I covered it with 1/4" Vibro closed cell foam (
Amazon.com: Vibro 228 mil -1/4" Sound Dampening Insulator-100% Waterproof Closed Cell Foam –Car Sound Deadening Material - Automotive Sound Deadener 9 Large Sheets-Buy & Support Made in USA- Not Russia or China : Automotive Amazon.com: Vibro 228 mil -1/4" Sound Dampening Insulator-100% Waterproof Closed Cell Foam –Car Sound Deadening Material - Automotive Sound Deadener 9 Large Sheets-Buy & Support Made in USA- Not Russia or China : Automotive
) Again, I had some left over from my Excursion project.

I used 3/4" oak plywood from HD, but if I had it to do over again I'd just use 1/2". I had some roughly 1.5"x4" hard foam blocks that came as packing material for something, and I cut them 1.125" thick to use as support for the plywood. That was as thin as I could go and keep the wood up off the smart key module and plastic trim mounts that are attached to the rear floor. If you didn't sound deaden, you'd need something closer to 1.5" thick. I was going to emulate what Youtuber Embark with Mark did on his 4Runner and build vertical pieces to support the stock plastic side wings, but decided I could make the floor flat back there just as easily. The main piece is bolted in back to the two outboard stock seat mount locations. The front of the board stops at the forward edge of the 3rd row mounting location, and is bolted to the outboard 3rd row mounts with some metal brackets I made. Goose Gear does something similar, but they continue their floor piece all the way to the second row to accommodate drawers. I didn't want that.

After that it was just a matter of covering it with carpet (TrafficMaster Dayside - Color Ebony 6 ft. Indoor/Outdoor Texture Black Carpet MK22W180072S - The Home Depot), and cutting carpet pieces to make the sides look OK.

It turns out the OEM rear mat, the one that covers the 3rd row when it's down, fits perfectly. Had I thought about it, I'd have mounted the OEM rear tie downs in a location that would have let me use the OEM mat turned around backwards, with its cutouts open to the rear tie-downs. As it is, I'll have to cut the rear mat to use mine.

I specifically wanted Captain's chairs, but the knock against them is they let stuff in the cargo area roll forward. To fix that, I cut a couple of identical pieces from the HD carpet, glued them together, then cut the resulting piece 11.5" up from the bottom. Some Velcro loop-side pieces hold them to the back seat, and let me use either piece individually, or both together.

This project added 3-4" to the depth of the cargo area where the 3rd row was, plus the area in the footwell. From a purely volume perspective, that's probably an additional 6cf. Considering that's the difference between the cargo area in the RX we had before and a stock GX, I've essentially doubled the difference between the two vehicles, and cargo space was the primary driver in the swap. The tale will be told when I actually pack the thing, but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out, so far.

Mark
The following 5 users liked this post by ScaldedDog:
ColdIron (12-16-23), IanG (11-29-22), pacnwatx (04-22-23), Peacebay (12-02-22), Rambo58 (12-15-23)
Old 12-02-22, 11:01 AM
meitzler
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That is one of the nicest conversions that I have seen. Do you know if there is a difference in the conversion between the captain chairs and a bench seat like is in the SEs.
Old 12-02-22, 02:16 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by meitzler
That is one of the nicest conversions that I have seen. Do you know if there is a difference in the conversion between the captain chairs and a bench seat like is in the SEs.
Thanks man!! Pardon my ignorance, but what's an SE?

That asked, I don't think having a bench would have made any difference to my project, other than not needing to cover the opening between the two chairs. As far as I know the bench mounts in the same location as the captain's chairs, and I didn't come near those mounting points.

Mark
Old 12-03-22, 05:43 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 197 Likes on 114 Posts

@ScaldedDog nice work! Are you planning to keep the 3rd row seatbelts in place? I finally moved them out of the way after leaving them in place following install of ironman 4x4 drawers a year ago and it looks a lot cleaner now. I didn't cut them out, just unbolted them from the bracket on the floor of the cargo area and tucked them behind the trim (where the shoulder harness emerges). That way I can always re-install if need be.
Old 12-03-22, 06:17 AM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by xychromo
@ScaldedDog nice work! Are you planning to keep the 3rd row seatbelts in place? I finally moved them out of the way after leaving them in place following install of ironman 4x4 drawers a year ago and it looks a lot cleaner now. I didn't cut them out, just unbolted them from the bracket on the floor of the cargo area and tucked them behind the trim (where the shoulder harness emerges). That way I can always re-install if need be.
I am, at least for the moment. I bought some black seat belt covers (
Amazon.com: 6PCS Car Seat Belt Covers, Soft Shoulder Strap Pad for a More Comfortable Drivinger,Soft Car Safety Seatbelt Strap for Adults -Black : Automotive Amazon.com: 6PCS Car Seat Belt Covers, Soft Shoulder Strap Pad for a More Comfortable Drivinger,Soft Car Safety Seatbelt Strap for Adults -Black : Automotive
) to keep them clean when the back is loaded. I like your idea, though, and may do that.

Mark
Old 04-22-23, 07:05 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

https://americanadventurelab.com/pro...rear-platform/

M.A.S.S. – Modular Adaptable Storage System

This is the main component of our GX460 overland product line. This is the base platform to our M.A.S.S. system. It is made out of 1/8″ 5052 aluminum and is laser cut for extreme precision. We hold a repeatable .005″ tolerance on all cuts for this platform.

Super Light, Super Strong, Super Practical.

Our GX460 Rear Platform replaces the factory 3rd row seat with a super usable level platform. Made of laser cut aluminum and steel, this platform is as light and as strong as possible. This platform utilizes factory holes so no cutting or drilling needed. Use this platform by itself or opt to add modules to create the perfect storage setup for your next expedition.”

Old 12-14-23, 06:34 AM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Has anyone tried the new Victory 3rd row delete kit? Looks pretty nice with the additional side covers. There is only one review, so not sure how great it is? https://www.victory4x4.com/product/OGFL-460.html
Old 12-15-23, 12:04 PM
Rambo58
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I might get "scalded" for replying to a year old thread but that was a great job. If someone would aftermarket covers to fit where the back bottom trim ends, it would look factory. I wish someone would come out with a truly factory looking kit, just for the extra capacity, maybe with hidden storage. I just got a new Lux, and the wife would literally kill me if I did something that she could look at and it not be "perfect".
Old 12-15-23, 12:55 PM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambo58
I might get "scalded" for replying to a year old thread but that was a great job. If someone would aftermarket covers to fit where the back bottom trim ends, it would look factory. I wish someone would come out with a truly factory looking kit, just for the extra capacity, maybe with hidden storage. I just got a new Lux, and the wife would literally kill me if I did something that she could look at and it not be "perfect".
100%. $600-700 for that american adventure lab kit and it leaves those sides wide open.

One thing I would like to see is a modular setup where I can remove one or both rear seats. Not just both. I do use a rear seat once in a while and being able to pop one back in would be nice.
The following users liked this post:
Rambo58 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 01:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Looking again at the additional room gained by 3rd row removal and frankly the non-use of the 3rd row in so long I am contemplating this mod on mine.

The following users liked this post:
Rambo58 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 02:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 870 Likes on 603 Posts

Hey Acrad,
I wrapped my 3rd row seats in heavy duty garbage bags and stored them in my basement. When I went to install them again I managed to crack one of the motors during storage.
Not my picture below but identical to what I had. You guys might want to cover this part better than me and the guy selling these seats on eBay.

The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
Acrad (12-15-23), ColdIron (12-16-23)
Old 12-15-23, 02:59 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Air Down Gear Up makes them, and they'll sell them separate from their systems if you ask.

Mark

Last edited by ScaldedDog; 12-15-23 at 03:02 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ScaldedDog:
Acrad (12-15-23), Rambo58 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 04:21 PM
gregGX
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

This is why I pinged this thread with the new Victory setup - it has the said side covers, and is around $550 - but I don't know of anyone that has done a proper review, would really like to know?
Old 12-15-23, 05:34 PM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 231 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by gregGX
This is why I pinged this thread with the new Victory setup - it has the said side covers, and is around $550 - but I don't know of anyone that has done a proper review, would really like to know?
Looks like a nice kit, but we are not ready to get rid of 3rd row yet, using it often.
Old 12-16-23, 09:35 AM
ColdIron
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Hey Acrad,
I wrapped my 3rd row seats in heavy duty garbage bags and stored them in my basement. When I went to install them again I managed to crack one of the motors during storage.
Not my picture below but identical to what I had. You guys might want to cover this part better than me and the guy selling these seats on eBay.

This is really great advice. 10 years ago I pulled the jump seats out of the Taco and built a platform for the dog and storage

The seats have been wrapped in contractor trash bags in the garage for 10 years and I finally decided to sell the Taco, it is getting detailed this weekend seeing if some of Mother Nature's pinstriping can be buffed out. I should be moving stuff around down in the garage to dig the seats out and am concerned the field mice may have found them. Instead I've been going through this thread all morning LOL.

Since I got my GX a couple of weeks ago been looking at every storage option out there for the GX460. My 3rd row seats are coming out and also the 60% 2nd row seat. My needs are likely a bit different than most on here, I need to be able to put a dog crate in the back and also store shotguns lengthways securely for border crossings into Canada in the Fall. Canada is very strict about long gun storage and transportation, I've looked at Gun Vaults for decades but never had a real need and they don't make one for the GX460, but I need one now even if I have to make my own. I also want a drawer under the dog crate to maximize storage.

Yesterday I managed to load up 4 boxes of stuff collected in the Access Cab over 10 years, I was a bit shocked to realize how much space I utilized. And equally shocked at how small the GX seems, for now. I'm sure I'll figure out a way to fill it over time....

Several times I have come close to thinking the Goose Gear with the 2nd row 60% seat delete would be a good starting point as a base. And tired of making things out of sheet goods and wood. But sometimes that is the only option to meet your needs. They make aluminum and plastic toppers for my Polaris Ranger Northstar but where I go with it would get shredded

So I made my own dog box topper out of 1/2" exterior glue baltic birch and it has held up well although needs a coat of paint each year

At this point I am willing to pay for something that looks OEM if it meets my needs. But the Goose Gear 2nd row base doesn't quite tick all the boxes. And the price, ouch. Many of the aftermarket platforms have a lot of holes in them for attachments and storage management. My first thought is they will collect dust, dirt and dog hair like crazy.

Glad this thread came back up although I did hit on it several times in my searches. Not able to really do anything until it warms up in a few months so I'm watching this thread for updates. And appreciate some of the ideas and work done in previous posts. There is some really great work done and thinking outside the box.