GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-18, 03:09 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
I would use a bosch purolator one filter, change the air filter every 10,000 miles. I'd start with Amsoil SS 0W-20 for the skyactiv engine.

I use like 90% Amsoil products but have been using the OEM Mazda oil that has high concentrations of Moly. I've thought about using this oil in my GX as well since it has the wear properties offered by moly.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/

Old 06-08-18, 04:45 PM
simer86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long answer is it won't run as smooth. Lexus wants that cushion feel....it's why there's so much rubber in their parts, etc. It's all in the name of comfort. Ever been inside the dealership where they have those posters showing how much more design they put into all their parts for comfort?

Look at your valves and pistons at 100,000 miles in a car run on regular grade fuel. They're gunked up and have deposits everywhere. Look at valves and pistons run on premium fuel from the big players, they don't look half as bad. Not amazing but not nearly as bad.

Here's where everyone is getting caught up. People will say, I put 93 in my tank or 87, etc, then say it ran great and I couldn't notice the difference. While those opinions are certainly fine, we can't quantify what comfortable is for you and what comfortable is for me nor can you quantify the long term ramifications in one fill up. When Lexus puts an engine on a bench cell for testing and the engineers come back and say, wow look at this reduction in vibration levels we just recorded using better fuel, these are all things that can be measured. These guys are spending their entire lives redesigning every component trying to ease out another decimal in NVH level reduction. If I remember properly, MB's V-12 can have a glass of wine at idle and it doesn't fall off the engine. The balance of the engine plays a huge role in comfort. An engine that is more efficient will be more balanced, and a whole lot more. To put in perspective, I once had an 80 minute conversation with engineers about how they wanted to change a race supplier in a bearing could reduce 0.09 decibels in the engine's noise output, not something any of us could ever notice inside the car. Tally up enough of these gains however and suddenly bam, you've brought down 10db, etc.

While Toyota and Lexus do not have the fuel dilution issue that some of the german brands suffer from, have you ever wondered why they're recommending throttle body cleanings and fuel injector treatments? Those fuel injector treatments and throttle body cleanings are also tacking the valve deposits.

When you start to get deposits in an engine, you can see huge measurement differences on dedicated equipment that shows vibration and noise emissions. At the end of the day, Lexus touts itself as more reliable, comfortable and luxurious than Toyota and all others. Using premium fuel helps achieve this goal.

2. Probably because the marketing department fired back that the competition isn't requiring premium. At the end of the day, you have to sell product and marketing departments usually get the final say. The RX is not in the same realm as the GX or LX. The marketing departments for the GX and LX are assuming people who own these cars won't have trouble spending an extra $10-20 per fill up since they're already getting 17mpg in a $70,000-$100,000 LUV.

I suggest to those that are worried or looking for a definitive answer here is what I would suggest......

Purchase an E85 kit or run E70 without the kit if you have E85 availability near by. You could alternatively use E30 if your station sells it. I'm still trying to boil down at what point the ECU says too much trim and throws the CEL but that plan has been put on hold for now.

1. Your engine will make more power and advance timing more than it could even with Premium. (E45 +)
2. You'll be supporting American made fuel vs supporting wars overseas and military budgets.
3. You will clean out all the deposits and gunk left behind by gasoline/gasohol in your engine on the pistons, valves and guides, etc.

If you don't want to purchase premium fuel, add a half bottle of VP Racing Fuel's system cleaner every 5,000 miles on regular grade fuel at a minimum. With good oil analysis you can determine how much you should really be using, but a half bottle is better than nothing.

If you don't mind paying for premium fuel, run the VP Racing Fuel's system cleaner every 5,000 miles anyways to really keep the engine tip top.
And would you also recommend me using this fuel system cleaner in a brand new one which has barely 2000 miles on it?
Old 06-09-18, 05:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

What is your take on use of a catch can?

I would use a bosch purolator one filter, change the air filter every 10,000 miles. I'd start with Amsoil SS 0W-20 for the skyactiv engine.

Blend E25 fuel. Remember to pump gasohol first and then flex fuel. Assuming 83% ethanol in the current season's flexfuel, in a 10 gallon tank, that'd be 2.05 gallons of E85/FlexFuel and 7.95 gallons of 87.

That'd also put you at right about 91 octane. If you're able to do this at least once or twice a month, this will greatly keep down the deposit formation. Also use a half bottle of the VP every 5K.
Old 06-12-18, 12:53 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Catch can is not very useful if you have a good oil that achieves good ring seal....

I would use in a brand new vehicle, start early while there are little deposits. Once deposits form ethanol is the only solution to clean short of massive treats of PEA.

Moly in oil doesn't really work and is just masking wear. Big industrial complexes throw in moly in massive gears because it is a soft spongy metal and will allow the gears to go longer without taking down production lines. An engine is different with different variables though so it ends up doing more harm than good and I would shy away.
Old 06-13-18, 09:00 AM
RedRacer
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. An engine running premium fuel will be a bit more efficient, reducing the amount of NVH levels in the cab.
Complete BS. The internet is loaded with misinformation but let's do our best not to spread more of it on this forum.
The following users liked this post:
Rygar470 (07-01-20)
Old 06-13-18, 09:10 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRacer
Complete BS. The internet is loaded with misinformation but let's do our best not to spread more of it on this forum.
Well not complete BS. I tried using 87 on my 2011 RX and the computer's estimated range was about 280 miles before fill up vs about 320 miles needing fill up on premium. And there certainly is a noticeable difference in power. However, if your car is rated to run on regular then there shouldnt be any affects.
Old 06-13-18, 01:45 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Well not complete BS. I tried using 87 on my 2011 RX and the computer's estimated range was about 280 miles before fill up vs about 320 miles needing fill up on premium. And there certainly is a noticeable difference in power. However, if your car is rated to run on regular then there shouldnt be any affects.
In toyotas and most others, estimated range is a moving target based on how you have been driving recently.
Old 11-07-18, 11:21 AM
Aleximus
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry Soap. I posted on the wrong thread. My phone’s web browser is having a hard time with this site’s coding.
ill try to delete the post.
Old 11-07-18, 01:22 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Does anyone remember when the gas prices were $4+ a gallon and people driving Tahoes, Suburbans and F350s were complaining how expensive gas was? Not sure why anyone would buy a $60k, 8 cylinder, 5 ton vehicle and expect it's fuel economy to be like a civic's. There are plenty of sedans available at the Lexus dealer.
Well, I specifically bought GX because it is a V8 with not so good MPG. With all those hybrid, electric and small turbo cars on the road, I want to express my love toward fossil fuel consumption . If not because I am single with no wife or kid, I would defiantly get LX instead.
Old 11-09-18, 08:18 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Does anyone remember when the gas prices were $4+ a gallon and people driving Tahoes, Suburbans and F350s were complaining how expensive gas was? Not sure why anyone would buy a $60k, 8 cylinder, 5 ton vehicle and expect it's fuel economy to be like a civic's. There are plenty of sedans available at the Lexus dealer.
Read post 1.
Old 11-09-18, 08:44 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

GX is a gas eater lol i average 13-14mpg in the city, and even on hwy it gets around 19mpg
Old 11-12-18, 09:25 AM
erom43
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2013 RX 350 has almost 80K miles. After five years observation using only regular gas, I have gotten anywhere from 14-18 MPG around town, and 21-25 MPG on the interstate (70-80 MPH). I believe those ranges are normal. If you do better than that, then you are fortunate. Note: only the interstate figure is reliable for comparison! There are much too many variables in local driving to get an accurate comparison. There are also many variations in gas formulation, driving habits, terrain and temperatures, that can affect milage.
Old 11-12-18, 12:20 PM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get 8-9 MPG i drive mixed city and highway i fill up about 60$ every 3 days or so. Also my range after fill up is 290 miles usually. When it was off the lot was 390 miles previously

Last edited by Zayn; 11-12-18 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-12-18, 01:26 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

4000 mile on my '18. averaging about 16 combine and 20-23 on freeway only. I don't care about the mileage anymore. lol
Old 11-12-18, 01:33 PM
krazykrnbo
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

2016 with 50,000 get around 16.9 mixed with the Liqui Moly Ceratec.
Was getting 15.2 mixed before.

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)