GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 07:12 AM
downshift1
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Just use a brand name 91+ premium and you'll be fine.
Old 11-20-19, 07:32 AM
SlickTRD
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

So you telling me none of these brands are near you? 76, ARCO, Aloha, Amoco, BP, Beacon, Break Time, Breakaway, CITGO, Cenex, Chevron, Conoco, Costco Wholesale, CountryMark, CountryMark PLUS, Diamond Shamrock, Express Mart, - Wisconsin Exxon, Fast Fuel, HFN - Hawaii Fueling Network, Harmons Fuel Stop, Hele, Holiday, Irving Oil, Kirkland Signature Gasoline, Kwik Star, Kwik Trip, MFA Oil, Marathon, Metro Petro, Mobil, Ohana Fuels, Phillips 66, QT, QuikTrip, Ranger, Ranger Fuel, Ranger Mustang, Ranger Stallion, Ranger Thoroughbred, Reeders, Road Ranger, Shamrock, Shell, Simonson Station Stores, Sinclair, Sunoco, Texaco, Tobacco Outlet Plus Grocery, Valero, Value America, WOW and Win Win.

If that's the case, then prior to each oil change run through a full tank of gas with a 20oz bottle of Cheveron Techron Concentrate Plus .
Old 11-21-19, 02:38 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

I can add that where I live, there's some gas stations that don't carry the higher octane blends. Each pump has only one choice, three pumps, all the same.
Old 11-23-19, 10:49 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I run regular 87, mostly from costco. FWIW.

Occasional shell or misc.

If you are concerned re top tier, just buy some techron additive and add to tank from time to time.
Amazon Amazon

Old 11-24-19, 11:54 AM
CanadaGX
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Used 87 octane for 2 years. No issues.
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (11-25-19)
Old 11-27-19, 03:40 AM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I used 93 for first few months, probably 2-3 thousand miles. Changed to 87, using it for last 4-1/2 yrs plus without any issue. I have 94k on the SUV now, no issues whatsoever.
Craigyyy (11-29-19)
Old 12-01-19, 07:43 AM
duke5150
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New 2019 GX 460 owner. Been using 87 octane and noticed GX is kinda sluggish. Don't really want to pay 30 cents more per gallon but asking if it makes any difference to run 91? The owners manual and filler cap says to use Premium but haven't. Why does it say that? Please advise if using 87 makes any difference?
Old 12-01-19, 07:36 PM
GX4TATI
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

No offense, but it doesn’t make sense to me. You bought/leased a $60K vehicle and don’t want to spend extra 6 bucks to fill up with premium?!!! Bet you spend more every day at Starbucks...
Old 12-02-19, 05:46 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GX4TATI
No offense, but it doesn’t make sense to me. You bought/leased a $60K vehicle and don’t want to spend extra 6 bucks to fill up with premium?!!! Bet you spend more every day at Starbucks...
because it is same engine used in Tundra 4.6L and 87 octane is what is recommended for the Tundra. Not many people are convinced on using 91+ octane for the Gx
Craigyyy (12-02-19)
Old 12-02-19, 07:25 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

The debate for what octane is best, etc. will always have two camps. Those that use lower octane and claim they never had any problems and those that recognize Lexus specifies a minimum octane. The ECU is the "brains" of the power delivery system. Regardless of the engine, it is the ECU that controls the timing (airflow/fuel ratios for detonation). There are sensors all over to input "data" that effects detonation (Mass airflow sensors for example). The "program" will also sense when detonation is not within specified limits (this could be due to air flow, fuel quality, octane, etc.). Using a lower octane rated fuel can effect detonation and thus the ECU will pull timing to prevent damage to the cylinders. Those that claim "no problems" I doubt have actually had their engine dismantled and measured for potential effects. It may be impossible to tell with a "butt dyne" if performance has been sacrificed and it is doubtful those using lower octane fuel would spend the money to take the required measurements (how many of you have dynode your car?). Lexus has likely spent money on measuring performance and optimizing the ECU program for certain parameters including octane rating. So long story short, if you want the car to perform reliably as intended from the factory, use the recommended octane rating.
The following 2 users liked this post by Statman:
ASE (12-02-19), MarkVII (12-02-19)
Old 12-02-19, 08:07 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Statman
The debate for what octane is best, etc. will always have two camps. Those that use lower octane and claim they never had any problems and those that recognize Lexus specifies a minimum octane. The ECU is the "brains" of the power delivery system. Regardless of the engine, it is the ECU that controls the timing (airflow/fuel ratios for detonation). There are sensors all over to input "data" that effects detonation (Mass airflow sensors for example). The "program" will also sense when detonation is not within specified limits (this could be due to air flow, fuel quality, octane, etc.). Using a lower octane rated fuel can effect detonation and thus the ECU will pull timing to prevent damage to the cylinders. Those that claim "no problems" I doubt have actually had their engine dismantled and measured for potential effects. It may be impossible to tell with a "butt dyne" if performance has been sacrificed and it is doubtful those using lower octane fuel would spend the money to take the required measurements (how many of you have dynode your car?). Lexus has likely spent money on measuring performance and optimizing the ECU program for certain parameters including octane rating. So long story short, if you want the car to perform reliably as intended from the factory, use the recommended octane rating.
Words of wisdom here ... pay attention ... if anything, use mid-grade octane and be happy ... otherwise, if you want maximum performance in terms of power output, follow the recommendations. Yes, you can be a cheap a$$ and go minimum grade, but the engine will be retarded in terms of power output ... your choice. Mid-grade is probably the best choice for those who want to save money on fillups.

Last edited by ASE; 12-02-19 at 08:18 AM.
MarkVII (12-02-19)
Old 12-02-19, 09:22 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Words of wisdom here ... pay attention ... if anything, use mid-grade octane and be happy ... otherwise, if you want maximum performance in terms of power output, follow the recommendations. Yes, you can be a cheap a$$ and go minimum grade, but the engine will be retarded in terms of power output ... your choice. Mid-grade is probably the best choice for those who want to save money on fillups.
Not really. In most cases, mid grade is a waste of money.

What is important is the wording in the owner's manual - which should be the same as inside the fuel filler door. oes it say "91 recommended" or "91 required"? If "required", then the regular use of 87 isn't recommended and may show a marked decrease in power. If "recommended", then the use oh 87 is most like perfectly fine.

Manufacturers tend to "recommend" 91 octane for their luxury or sporty lines because that is what the customers expect and it differentiates the vehicle from the "lesser" versions. A prime example is the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX. The LC requires 87 while the LX recommends 91. The LX makes a whopping 2 or 3 extra hp from the 91 octane

Old 12-02-19, 10:37 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Your video is completely irrelevant as the car they tested does not have a higher octane recommendation. Now I will agree if the car manufacturer does NOT recommend premium fuel, you are getting very little to nothing for the higher octane fuel.

Like I said, two schools of thought. Lot's of opinions very little data. A test on one car (BTW, this car manufacturer does not recommend higher octane fuel)...no replication, no understanding of other factors that may effect the test system (measurement system error was not reported, ambient conditions not reported, no actual measures of octane, etc.). But you watch reports like this, not done scientifically, and believe it.

I know of no car manufacturers that require a specific octane...ALL are recommended. My other car is a 996TT Porsche and my tune is specific to my octane (this I have data for).

FYI, Here is the info from Porsche manual:

Last edited by Statman; 12-02-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-02-19, 10:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
Not really. In most cases, mid grade is a waste of money.

What is important is the wording in the owner's manual - which should be the same as inside the fuel filler door. oes it say "91 recommended" or "91 required"? If "required", then the regular use of 87 isn't recommended and may show a marked decrease in power. If "recommended", then the use oh 87 is most like perfectly fine.

Manufacturers tend to "recommend" 91 octane for their luxury or sporty lines because that is what the customers expect and it differentiates the vehicle from the "lesser" versions. A prime example is the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX. The LC requires 87 while the LX recommends 91. The LX makes a whopping 2 or 3 extra hp from the 91 octane Interesting video on regular vs premium
Two words ... Compression Ratio ... boom, done. Knock sensor will retard ignition timing to compensate for low(er) fuel octane resulting in reduced power output. Pick your poison ... any "will work".
Statman (12-02-19)
Old 12-02-19, 12:54 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

For what it's worth, owners manual for my 2011 says:

Page 112:
Fuel types Use premium unleaded gasoline. (Octane Rating 91 [Research Octane Number 96] or higher)
Page 758:
Fuel type Premium unleaded gasoline only
Octane rating 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher
Page 768:
You must only use unleaded gasoline in your vehicle. Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance. If 91 octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an octane rating as low as 87 (Research Octane Number 91). Use of unleaded gasoline with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline. At minimum, the gasoline you use should meet the specifications of ASTM D4814 in the U.S.A. and CGSB3.5-M93 in Canada.
Page 769:
If you use gasohol in your Lexus, be sure that it has an octane rating no lower than 87.
Perhaps with all the 10% ethanol blends out there it's ok to use 87??

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)