GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-19, 01:19 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

To summarize and repeat all the other regular vs premium threads on the GX and LX forums (there are quite a lot):
GX guys are split, with most tending to go with premium.
LX guys are split, with most tending to go with regular.
Go figure.
Though these days it seems the GX guys are also now trending regular, probably a result of the car getting older/cheaper.

It's pretty settled that both GX and LX will not knock with any 87 octane product or better. I have not come across anyone on the internet or in person who has had knock running regular in a GX or LX (or Tundra or land cruiser for that matter). You may be able to find someone who has or thinks they have, but it seems there are countless owners reporting that they run regular with no issues.

On the other hand, you can find plenty of people with modern fuel injected cars that do knock when lower than recommended octane is used. E.g. for the Acura MDX this is a common issue, and I know first hand that my wife's MDX in particular will knock if you put less than premium in the tank.

For the GX, the only real arguments open for debate running regular are a perceived lack of performance/fuel economy, or a theoretical gradual wear issue and possible future repair bill. There are compelling arguments on both sides, but to-date there have been no reported incidents from running regular, and the 2nd gen GX has been running around for a decade now. Also FWIW nobody has put this to the test on the dyno either. So again, performance and wear are up for debate but nebulous at best.

Originally Posted by nebrou
because it is same engine used in Tundra 4.6L and 87 octane is what is recommended for the Tundra. Not many people are convinced on using 91+ octane for the Gx
Originally Posted by cb1111
Manufacturers tend to "recommend" 91 octane for their luxury or sporty lines because that is what the customers expect and it differentiates the vehicle from the "lesser" versions. A prime example is the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX. The LC requires 87 while the LX recommends 91. The LX makes a whopping 2 or 3 extra hp from the 91 octane
That's the thing. On both the GX and LX, Lexus requires premium, but for the exact same motors in their Toyota counterparts, the recommendation is 87 regular unleaded. LX supposedly makes about 3 horsepower extra. GX actually makes less power on premium than the Tundra does on regular.

Originally Posted by GX4TATI
No offense, but it doesn’t make sense to me. You bought/leased a $60K vehicle and don’t want to spend extra 6 bucks to fill up with premium?!!! Bet you spend more every day at Starbucks...
This is a pretty common theme in the GX premium crowd.

For what it's worth, where I am, at Costco, the difference is about $7-$8 per tank.

At most other places in town, the difference is easily $15 or $20 per tank.

Even six bucks a tank adds up though, which is hundreds of dollars per year.

And also, we're at the point now where I'd say most 2nd gen GX owners have bought their vehicles used, for a price that's some fraction of $60k, even new. I paid $30k for mine, and now I'd be lucky to get $20k for it today. One of the many factors in my GX vs 4runner decision was knowing (from research) that the GX could also run regular.
The following 4 users liked this post by Craigyyy:
ChrisInSD (02-13-23), maduro (05-13-20), SteveInCal (12-09-19), william489 (03-25-21)
Old 12-02-19, 01:20 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by duke5150
New 2019 GX 460 owner. Been using 87 octane and noticed GX is kinda sluggish. Don't really want to pay 30 cents more per gallon but asking if it makes any difference to run 91? The owners manual and filler cap says to use Premium but haven't. Why does it say that? Please advise if using 87 makes any difference?
If you feel like your GX is noticeably sluggish and it's only a 30 cent/gal difference, IMO worth the spend for a few tanks to see if premium does the trick.
Old 12-02-19, 01:21 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
Perhaps with all the 10% ethanol blends out there it's ok to use 87??
Awesome ... let's get a thread going on "Which Combination of These Three Variables is Best?" ... Conventional vs Synthetic Oil, Octane Rating and Percent Ethanol ... ... and we can add Oil Change Interval for even more fun

Seriously ... automakers assume E10 (10% Ethanol) for gas mileage purposes given it is pretty much standard nationwide and has 96.7% the energy value of 100% pure gasoline, so per the EPA ... gas mileage will be reduced by approximately three percent when compared to pure gasoline. Whatever octane rating is posted on the pump IS the octane level being pumped whether E10, E15 or pure gasoline. Here is a great resource to find pure gas in your area ...

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Last edited by ASE; 12-02-19 at 05:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Craigyyy (12-03-19)
Old 12-02-19, 09:37 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Rather than getting into a virtual fistfight over gas, I'd offer the following:

On your daily commute, keep track of mileage/mpg/price etc for two tanks of gas using whatever you generally fill up with.

Fill your car with the other stuff, run that tank pretty much down

Run two more tanks of that stuff and track the same info as before. Post the results here for the group. That will enable the group to do a cost/benefit analysis.
Old 12-03-19, 06:11 AM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Though it's a little different, I have the GS460, and I, as well as the previous owner, have only ever used premium in it. The one time my friend borrowed the car and put 87 in, I could hear some very mild pinging when accelerating up the hill, but nothing too terrible. Definitely would only run premium if I were you, however. If you can't, like you mentioned, then just toss a bottle of Techron or Redline SL-1 through the tank every 4-6 months.
Old 12-03-19, 08:47 AM
nebrou
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
Though it's a little different, I have the GS460, and I, as well as the previous owner, have only ever used premium in it. The one time my friend borrowed the car and put 87 in, I could hear some very mild pinging when accelerating up the hill, but nothing too terrible. Definitely would only run premium if I were you, however. If you can't, like you mentioned, then just toss a bottle of Techron or Redline SL-1 through the tank every 4-6 months.
The GS460 has the direct injection unlike the GX460 which use port injection. I would run only premium if I have direct injection.
Old 12-03-19, 09:09 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

The bottom line ... the knock sensor will retard the ignition timing to prevent engine damage from pre-ignition when running low(er) octane fuel. So if you want maximum power, run high(er) octane for optimum ignition timing. If you don't care, run whatever you want ... the knock sensor will adjust engine timing to compensate. Yes, with low(er) octane there is the danger that knock sensor compensation is not instantaneous under various throttle and load conditions, but does this result in the engine experiencing a higher level of stress given the engine DOES experience detonation prior to the knock sensor responding ? ... this can be argued all day long.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
Craigyyy (12-03-19), darkoozy (09-27-21)
Old 12-03-19, 01:57 PM
Juiceboxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

but can we put diesel?
The following 3 users liked this post by Juiceboxx:
cb1111 (12-03-19), ChrisInSD (02-13-23), Craigyyy (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 03:36 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Juiceboxx
but can we put diesel?
Sure can. One time. Range is lousy - a couple of feet.

Last edited by cb1111; 12-03-19 at 03:48 PM.
Juiceboxx (12-03-19)
Old 12-03-19, 04:11 PM
Juiceboxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
Sure can. One time. Range is lousy - a couple of feet.
lol 😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆
cb1111 (12-03-19)
Old 04-16-20, 12:47 PM
rfcbuf
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Premium 93 octane Gas at $1.41 per gallon???

Just purchased 93 octane gas for new 2019 GX 460 at an Indian reservation and saved $15 ($1.41 per gallon) on tank fill up vs. 93 octane ($2.57per gallon) at local Buffalo, NY filling station. My question is how reliable are the octane ratings at Indian reservations with out our government certifying the quality and octane rating stated on the gas pump. I've never had problem with using reservation regular 87 octane on other vehicles. Was wondering if any GX 460 drivers have experienced problems with gas purchased at Indian reservations where the gas is not certified and taxed by federal and state authorities.
Old 09-15-20, 05:17 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

SO when I read the owners manual it says that during testing Lexus used 96 octane, but they recommend 91 at a minimum, does that mean we should try and find the highest octane rating possible or really anything over 91 will do the trick?
Old 09-15-20, 06:39 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Double post, sorry

Last edited by Statman; 09-15-20 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-15-20, 06:40 AM
Statman
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schwein
SO when I read the owners manual it says that during testing Lexus used 96 octane, but they recommend 91 at a minimum, does that mean we should try and find the highest octane rating possible or really anything over 91 will do the trick?
The manual says 91(Research Octane Number 96) or higher. Using gas with an octane rating above what the ECU is programmed for does not provide any added advantage TMK.
Old 09-16-20, 05:20 AM
schwein
Pit Crew

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks this makes sense, so 91 octane unless its not available then get 93... now I know what to tell my wife!

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)