GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-22, 07:00 PM
BigSvensk
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Octane

Dunno if this will settle the argument, but interesting reading nonetheless.

Is Premium Gas Worth It? We Test High Octane on 4 Popular Vehicles

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...wtx5GXYVuF7K8U
The following users liked this post:
SEELEXUS (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 05:31 AM
SEELEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 114 Likes on 47 Posts

As a 2022 GX owner who intends on keeping the SUV for a good while, I will stick with premium fuel.

I recall what a fuels pipeline worker once told me; there is a real difference in how premium fuel is better managed (transported) across the pipeline, storage tanks to retail pump. He went on to talk about liquids interfacing/mixing (gas, diesel, kerosene, etc.) during the shipping and storage process. I’m not a fuels pipeline person, so I can’t explain the realities of the fuel liquids pipeline transportation process — but, his comments stuck in my mind.

Regardless, I paid a good penny for this SUV and want to keep it in tip top shape. Premium fuel is just one component, IMHO.

No shade thrown on those who choose to travel via a “regular” path - it’s your vehicle after all.

Old 07-09-22, 08:32 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

I keep using premium, planning to keep this GX for long term.

Not going to tell what to do, it is really up to each individual what they want to do, regular or premium
Old 07-09-22, 11:36 AM
Dazed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I generally use high octane race fuel. However when my schedule allows, I prefer to refine my own using single source crude, preferably from the North Sea, but Algerian-Sahara will do in a pinch. The self refining is nice since I get to chose my own additives, and as a useful byproduct of the refining process, I get a few quarts of the ever expensive 75w transfer case oil. Send me a PM if you'd like to know more about my process, patent pending.
Old 07-09-22, 06:23 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 107 Likes on 72 Posts

I try to maintain 91 octane in both my vehicles that require premium fuel. I fill up the tank with 93 octane and at the half way mark or slightly more, I top off with 89 octane. That brings the octane down to 91 with the mix. Next time at the half full mark I top off with 93. I print off the recite and write what octane I used. I use the recites to help me remember what octane to use for the next fill up. If I drive my vehicle where the fuel level drops below the half way mark before my next fill up I use 93 octane to remove any doubt that I will not have an octane lower than 91. This may sound a little complicated but it really is not as long as you keep your last recite handy.
Old 07-12-22, 01:05 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
I try to maintain 91 octane in both my vehicles that require premium fuel. I fill up the tank with 93 octane and at the half way mark or slightly more, I top off with 89 octane. That brings the octane down to 91 with the mix. Next time at the half full mark I top off with 93. I print off the recite and write what octane I used. I use the recites to help me remember what octane to use for the next fill up. If I drive my vehicle where the fuel level drops below the half way mark before my next fill up I use 93 octane to remove any doubt that I will not have an octane lower than 91. This may sound a little complicated but it really is not as long as you keep your last recite handy.
What was the savings compared to just keeping things simple and go for 93?
Old 07-12-22, 01:08 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SEELEXUS
As a 2022 GX owner who intends on keeping the SUV for a good while, I will stick with premium fuel.

I recall what a fuels pipeline worker once told me; there is a real difference in how premium fuel is better managed (transported) across the pipeline, storage tanks to retail pump. He went on to talk about liquids interfacing/mixing (gas, diesel, kerosene, etc.) during the shipping and storage process. I’m not a fuels pipeline person, so I can’t explain the realities of the fuel liquids pipeline transportation process — but, his comments stuck in my mind.

Regardless, I paid a good penny for this SUV and want to keep it in tip top shape. Premium fuel is just one component, IMHO.

No shade thrown on those who choose to travel via a “regular” path - it’s your vehicle after all.
Agree wholeheartedly. Why spend all this money on a luxury vehicle only to penny pinch on an extra 10 to 20 cents a gallon. If you are leasing and plan on returning it, then who cares. Go use 87 octane if you can find it.
Old 07-12-22, 01:42 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

The majority of posts are Either - Or ... why not go middle grade and move on with life ?
Old 07-12-22, 02:11 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by catdaddylo
wow.. ok!

I'd drive myself crazy if I tried this..

Premium and done!
The following 2 users liked this post by m5rahul:
ballistice (07-12-22), NewB2Lexus (07-12-22)
Old 07-30-22, 07:57 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

I experienced an interesting result from an unintended experiment.
I recently went on a short vacation towing my trailer 366 km at 100 kph trailer weight 4200 lbs loaded and weighed (full water tanks).
Gassed up with 91 octane (no ethanol) before we left and upon arrival at our destination refilled with 55.7 L a calculated fuel economy of 15.46 mpg
The trip home I emptied the holding tanks which resulted in a trailer weight of just under 3800 lbs, I filled up with 94 octane (it did indicate contained ethanol)
The trip home was 379 km at the same 100 kph and used 72.95 L, a calculated 12.22 mpg.
No wind either way, the elevation difference between the two locations is only 300m, the destination is lower than the start, that is about 1m (3') per km.
I am now interested if the brand of gas, or increasing the octane from 91 to 94 actually made the difference of 3.24 mpg?

Last edited by IanG; 07-30-22 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-30-22, 12:39 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IanG
I experienced an interesting result from an unintended experiment.
I recently went on a short vacation towing my trailer 366 km at 100 kph trailer weight 4200 lbs loaded and weighed (full water tanks).
Gassed up with 91 octane (no ethanol) before we left and upon arrival at our destination refilled with 55.7 L a calculated fuel economy of 15.46 mpg
The trip home I emptied the holding tanks which resulted in a trailer weight of just under 3800 lbs, I filled up with 94 octane (it did indicate contained ethanol)
The trip home was 379 km at the same 100 kph and used 72.95 L, a calculated 12.22 mpg.
No wind either way, the elevation difference between the two locations is only 300m, the destination is lower than the start, that is about 1m (3') per km.
I am now interested if the brand of gas, or increasing the octane from 91 to 94 actually made the difference of 3.24 mpg?
Apples and Oranges ... E-10 (Ethanol) laced fuel reduces MPG by approximately 3% according the the EPA ... real users report a 4-6% reduction ... your difference has absolutely nothing to do with octane rating ... while Ethanol does increase the octane rating, it does not have the same energy value as pure gas ... so does reduce the MPG when compared to pure gas.

Last edited by ASE; 07-30-22 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-30-22, 01:20 PM
IanG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
Apples and Oranges ... E-10 (Ethanol) laced fuel reduces MPG by approximately 3% according the the EPA ... real users report a 4-6% reduction ... your difference has absolutely nothing to do with octane rating ... while Ethanol does increase the octane rating, it does not have the same energy value as pure gas ... so does reduce the MPG when compared to pure gas.
Totally agree with your comment, I was not saying that ethanol was the reason for the difference in fuel economy.
I included all the information and variances in the trip, you would think the reduced trailer weight would offset the slightly lower fuel economy of the E10 fuel, but the difference is closer to 20% less. BTW I don't care about fuel economy, I was actually expecting the 12 mpg range, that is what I was getting with my 4Runner so getting over 15 mpg in the GX was a pleasant shock.
ballistice (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 07:31 AM
ballistice
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by IanG
I included all the information and variances in the trip, you would think the reduced trailer weight would offset the slightly lower fuel economy of the E10 fuel, but the difference is closer to 20% less. .
Sometimes weird things happen when trying to figure out MPG. I have had the same experience as you and was left scratching my head. My 300 mile run to Nevada then 300 mile back to CA always leaves me puzzled as heck. Going up fully loaded, high winds, 70mph and long steep grades, I'll sometimes get much better mileage than coming back empty(driving the same). As far as the E10 it might be simply that the loading terminal added more ethanol to the fuel.

10% is a baseline. I have taken as much as 25% mixed in the gas. The shipper has to approve it but it's a lot more common than the average motoring public thinks. One of the reasons I almost always purchase Chevron or Shell fuel. You guys would cringe if you knew the mixes of Costco, Arco and other cheap gas I have personally loaded and delivered. It's sickening what the cheaper branded and non branded stations accept for fuel.

IanG (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 08:33 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ballistice
Sometimes weird things happen when trying to figure out MPG. I have had the same experience as you and was left scratching my head. My 300 mile run to Nevada then 300 mile back to CA always leaves me puzzled as heck. Going up fully loaded, high winds, 70mph and long steep grades, I'll sometimes get much better mileage than coming back empty(driving the same). As far as the E10 it might be simply that the loading terminal added more ethanol to the fuel.

10% is a baseline. I have taken as much as 25% mixed in the gas. The shipper has to approve it but it's a lot more common than the average motoring public thinks. One of the reasons I almost always purchase Chevron or Shell fuel. You guys would cringe if you knew the mixes of Costco, Arco and other cheap gas I have personally loaded and delivered. It's sickening what the cheaper branded and non branded stations accept for fuel.
+ 2 on Chevron or Shell .... otherwise I use Pure Gas ... luckily have a close station ... I only use Pure Gas in my small engine equipment, and in my older cars that are not driven frequently. Ethanol is evil stuff for small air-cooled engines ... and when it is not consumed inside 60-days.
ballistice (07-31-22)
Old 07-31-22, 08:56 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ASE
+ 2 on Chevron or Shell .... otherwise I use Pure Gas ... luckily have a close station ... I only use Pure Gas in my small engine equipment, and in my older cars that are not driven frequently. Ethanol is evil stuff for small air-cooled engines ... and when it is not consumed inside 60-days.
I also try to use ethanol free fuel, Shell is a favourite, I also only use Pur Gas (here it is Tru Fuel) in my small engines, but at $24 gallon. On road trips in rural communities it is hard enough finding 91 octane, often don't have a choice on ethanol in the blend.
ballistice (07-31-22)

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)