GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 09:25 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
it will require much learning on your part to understand. do some research on octane vs ethanol,
Ok, I think we can come to the closure on this. I can say that I know for a fact that vegetable oil is better for lubrication in the GX but cannot explain why because you would need to learn a lot and I cannot point you to any credible study or report that would support it. But I know it and that's it.

I'll just keep using what's recommended, if it was an older car with 200k+ miles I might go cheap and don't care. However, we own a few older BMW models, older than 20 years, they require premium and that's what they get. It is my personal choice and don't even consider using lower grade, low quality gas. I'll make sure I let you know when my fuel pump melts away from using premium.
The following users liked this post:
Hehena (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 07:21 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
Ok, I think we can come to the closure on this. I can say that I know for a fact that vegetable oil is better for lubrication in the GX but cannot explain why because you would need to learn a lot and I cannot point you to any credible study or report that would support it. But I know it and that's it.

I'll just keep using what's recommended, if it was an older car with 200k+ miles I might go cheap and don't care. However, we own a few older BMW models, older than 20 years, they require premium and that's what they get. It is my personal choice and don't even consider using lower grade, low quality gas. I'll make sure I let you know when my fuel pump melts away from using premium.
Agree ... but using "lower grade" and "low quality" in the same sentence confuses the subject ... non-Top-Tier vs. Top-Tier ... yes, there is a quality difference. Lower octane is not "low quality" ... gas is gas ... all has the same energy value ... the only difference is any concern over detonation. Agree ... older classic cars do not have knock sensors ... so given they have a fixed timing advance curve ... yes, octane is an important consideration ... and yes, I use 93 in all of my classic cars and motorcycles ... and use non-ethanol gas as well ... now how about ethanol as a continuing subject ?
Old 06-23-23, 07:34 AM
IanG
Intermediate

Received 378 Likes on 211 Posts

I can say that I know for a fact that vegetable oil is better for lubrication in the GX but cannot explain why because you would need to learn a lot and I cannot point you to any credible study or report that would support it.
Thank You, this statement brought back such great memories of racing back in the 1970's when Castrol R was the chosen engine oil. It was a plant based oil and I still remember the unique smell in the pits and on the track.

Last edited by IanG; 06-23-23 at 08:16 AM.
NewB2Lexus (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 07:36 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Agree ... but using "lower grade" and "low quality" in the same sentence confuses the subject ... non-Top-Tier vs. Top-Tier ... yes, there is a quality difference. Lower octane is not "low quality" ... gas is gas ... all has the same energy value ... the only difference is any concern over detonation. Agree ... older classic cars do not have knock sensors ... so given they have a fixed timing advance curve ... yes, octane is an important consideration ... and yes, I use 93 in all of my classic cars and motorcycles ... and use non-ethanol gas as well ... now how about ethanol as a continuing subject ?
Sorry for the confusion, I meant "lower grade and/or low quality"... Here in he PNW non-ethanol is not always available, it costs significantly more so it is impractical to use it in vehicles driven regularly. I do use non-ethanol in recreational vehicles though.

Last edited by NewB2Lexus; 06-23-23 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-23-23, 07:56 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IanG
Thank You, this statement brought back such great memories of racing back in the 1970's when Castrol R was the chosen engine oil. I was a plant based oil and I still remember the unique smell in the pits and on the track.
I think a cologne that smells like Castrol R would sell like hotcakes ... a market opportunity ?

Always loved that Castrol R smell on my clothes after a day of 2-Stroke riding.
IanG (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 08:33 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Everyone could just datalog KCLV(knock correction learned value) and KF(Knock Feedback) and see what the different fuels do for them.

I havent bothered to experiement with my GX all that much, but on my F150 Ecoboost I gain 2-3* of timing for every 2 octane I put in. I have played with 89, 91, 94 and 96 octane. Even on 96 octane I do not max out the available timing adjustment built into the PCM and could probably run 98 and still see an improvement.

Last edited by skrypj; 06-23-23 at 08:37 AM.
John00 (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 09:46 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skrypj
Everyone could just datalog KCLV(knock correction learned value) and KF(Knock Feedback) and see what the different fuels do for them.

I havent bothered to experiement with my GX all that much, but on my F150 Ecoboost I gain 2-3* of timing for every 2 octane I put in. I have played with 89, 91, 94 and 96 octane. Even on 96 octane I do not max out the available timing adjustment built into the PCM and could probably run 98 and still see an improvement.
Good perspective ... a HP / Octane curve would end this conversation ... but needs to represent commuting loads versus towing / heavy loading.
Old 06-23-23, 10:37 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ASE
Good perspective ... a HP / Octane curve would end this conversation ... but needs to represent commuting loads versus towing / heavy loading.
I do know that my KCLV on my GX running 91 while towing was sitting around 21-22, which I think is considered fairly high. I know I had heard some of the IS-F guys seeing high 20's with a E blend.

I had heard(and seen in the tune on HPTuners) that the 5.7L in the Tundra is limited to a maximum KCLV of 19, which I believe could be achievable on 87 or 89 octane. That may be the difference between the Lexus and Toyota variants of the 1UR and 3UR, they might simply limit the maximum timing advance on the Toyotas so the benefit of higher octane simply isnt as obvious. VFTuner does not have the KCLV limit available for my GX tune so I am not entire sure what the upper limit is, but I have seen as high as 23 or 24 briefly on 91. I thought about trying 94 octane(91+Boostane) just to see what it did.

I would only bother to run 94 octane if I was towing and wanted the little bit of extra grunt. For me, 91 is an easy choice because the cost difference vs 85 octane(in the Rockies so lower octanes at the pump) is only like 30-40 cents. I woudlnt run 85 anyways, so I am only paying 15-20 cents more than 89 for 91. At ~$4.20 a gallon, the difference is pretty small for me.

Last edited by skrypj; 06-23-23 at 10:44 AM.
NewB2Lexus (06-23-23)
Old 06-23-23, 12:46 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

yeah you can say you know for a fact, but that doesnt make you correct. in fact vegetable oil is not a better lubricant. i already provided the information that applies to the gx

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-23-23 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Personal comments not needed
Old 06-23-23, 12:51 PM
John00
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

we do have the test data for hp vs gas type. also have data for different polymers vs the same. issue is we cant go around sharing the data. this is why you only see some published studies usually as part of some school research paper. all mfgs have this. there are even standard test procedures for this.
Old 12-01-23, 08:25 AM
Gxauug
Rookie

Received 48 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Premium or Regular

OK- word is 87 is fine, but no conclusive proof. What's the story ? I have a brand new GX, still has tank from the dealer. What do I do? Manual says premium, owners (some) say non-sense. I appreciate some advice - - noting I'm inclined to just follow the manual.
Old 12-01-23, 08:28 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts

Who would you believe, Lexus or some random strangers? Your car was tuned to run on premium and sure, the ecu will compensate and run on regular but are you that cheap?
IanG (12-01-23)
Old 12-01-23, 08:58 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

We put premium, the yearly cost saving based on our miles is not significant to justify using regular.

But each to his/hers own.
Old 12-01-23, 09:10 AM
Gxauug
Rookie

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
Who would you believe, Lexus or some random strangers? Your car was tuned to run on premium and sure, the ecu will compensate and run on regular but are you that cheap?
Actually, the master tech at my dealer is the one who told me. A stranger, but credible.
Old 12-01-23, 09:11 AM
Gxauug
Rookie

As mentioned - I'm resolved to 93, but I was thrown off by hearing others say 87. I have had many premium only, so had never even considered it.

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)