GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 02:12 PM
Gregz_IS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the owners manual to see if e85 is an aceptable fuel.

Use of e85 in a vehicle not specifically designed to use it is not a good idea.

Using e85 requires specific materials to be used in the fuel system or expensive damage will occur. Alcohol is corrosive to many parts of a typical fuel system.

Also the vehicles computer must be programmed to use e85.

Since ethanol has about half the BTU's per galon of gasoline and is an oxygen bearing fuel the mixture must be adjusted far beyond any adjustments needed when running gasoline or e10.

Most vehicles that will easily adapt to using e85 have a sensor in the fuel line that measures alcohol percentage of the fuel and the computer then calculates the proper mixture adjustment.

If your car is compatable with using e85 there are other things to consider.

The price of e85 loks attractive but you must realize the fuel economy will be 20 to 30 pecent less when using it vs gasoline.

Calculate the cost aand you may find there is no benefit, sticking with gasoline may be cheaper.

Old 03-13-11, 02:17 PM
Craig B
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Greg is right, you would get about 30% less mileage running E85.
Old 03-14-11, 07:16 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Do yourself a favor, don't use that JUNK!

Koz
Old 03-14-11, 07:45 PM
Luke27617
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here it is a video with someone who put Diesel in GX470.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEaw89cjcAA
Old 03-15-11, 07:24 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

What an idiot. How did they manage to do that? The nozzle is larger for diesel. I don't know how they even got the nozzle to go in.
Old 07-29-12, 05:38 AM
Bcgx470
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Premium fuel????

New to forum. Sure this question discussed before but is premium fuel necessary. I have 2008 GX470 and been running 87 octane for a couple months. Haven't noticed any pinging or any significant changes in mileage or running. Are others doing this? Is this going to be harmful to vehicle longterm? I am aware the gas cap says premium fuel must be used.
Old 07-29-12, 06:48 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

A quick search will reveal at least a hundred threads regarding this...

long story short, it can cause detonation which wears the engine and causes poor power and fuel economy... (the computer senses the detonation and retards timing to compensate)

it costs $2-$3 on a complete fill up to use premium instead - you bought a luxury car, don't treat it like an econobox...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 07-29-12 at 06:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Parrokeete (01-11-22)
Old 08-15-12, 06:10 PM
seahaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2010 GX460, I quit running premium when it started costing me $12 more per tank. It makes no difference and this is the same engine that is in other Toyotas. Some say its different or the ecu is different but i call BS, there is no way an Lexus would allow the engine to wear more because of a few octane numbers.
Old 08-15-12, 06:16 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by seahaul
I have a 2010 GX460, I quit running premium when it started costing me $12 more per tank. It makes no difference and this is the same engine that is in other Toyotas. Some say its different or the ecu is different but i call BS, there is no way an Lexus would allow the engine to wear more because of a few octane numbers.
when you sell your gx, i feel sorry for the poor sap that gets it
Old 08-15-12, 06:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by seahaul
you keep telling yourself that, but the truth is that yes, they don't allow additional wear - they sense knock and retard timing... this reduces available engine power and can reduce fuel mileage as well...

Here, premium costs 20 to 30 cents more than regular, so, from regular to premium, and 20 gallons (out of 23 gallons), even at 30 cents, is $6

Lets do some more basic math... 20k miles a year, even at 15 mpg and $3.50 a gallon regular, $3.75 premium. There is a $360 per year difference in fuel costs is all, that is $30 a month, or $1 a day... Even the guys on the Tundra boards accept that the Toyota version is a detuned version of the GX460 motor...
Old 08-16-12, 06:15 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is my take on this subject. My company is owned by Toyota and employees of my company used to get special pricing on Toyota's and Lexus's (program is discontinued now ). We have had many Lexus vehicles since 2003, ususally do 2-3 year leases on 3-4 cars as company cars and emplyees have boyght many cars as well. Anyway, with that being said most of our company cars run either 87 or 89 and at the end of the lease these cars have 75-80K on them. We have never once experianced an issue with the cars due to fuel. Never any engine problem to be honest. My mother has a 2009 ES and she always runs 89, 35K on that car and no issues to date. My 2012 GX has only seen premium so far but to me, I haven't seen any issues due to running lessor grade fuels.
Old 08-16-12, 06:21 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

I agree that on a relatively new engine, there should be no ill effects. Ignition timing is the big variable here and cars are designed to save themselves when they start knocking. They do this by pulling timing. The difference is that factory cars are generally not tuned to run on the ragged edge, so you get some leeway... anyone that has ever tuned a car or driven a tuned car realizes the importance of running the fuel the car was tuned for, as a lesser grade fuel could quickly spell disaster...

To each their own...
Old 08-16-12, 06:40 AM
Koz

The Lexus 4.6 is tuned different then the Toyota engine. The Lexus engine is tuned to be smoother and quieter then the Toyota engine (requiring premium fuel). I would be more then willing to give up the smoother engine for 9 more HP and being able to use regular fuel! Being able to use the much cheaper fuel is just like getting better mileage. Also, 9 HP is nice bump!

Note - There is NO difference in the amount of energy in the different octanes. There is also NO difference in fuel mileage. The best octane to use in any vehicle is the lowest octane without causing engine knock. Once you have eliminated knock any more octane is just a waste of money. The only difference octane makes is its ability to prevent engine knock. Anything over the OEM recommended octane does NOTHING! What makes a real difference in fuel is how well it keeps your system clean. Use top tier fuel!

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Koz
Old 08-16-12, 08:21 AM
Craig B
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Koz
The Lexus 4.6 is tuned different then the Toyota engine. The Lexus engine is tuned to be smoother and quieter then the Toyota engine (requiring premium fuel). I would be more then willing to give up the smoother engine for 9 more HP and being able to use regular fuel! Being able to use the much cheaper fuel is just like getting better mileage. Also, 9 HP is nice bump!

Note - There is NO difference in the amount of energy in the different octanes. There is also NO difference in fuel mileage. The best octane to use in any vehicle is the lowest octane without causing engine knock. Once you have eliminated knock any more octane is just a waste of money. The only difference octane makes is its ability to prevent engine knock. Anything over the OEM recommended octane does NOTHING! What makes a real difference in fuel is how well it keeps your system clean. Use top tier fuel!

http://www.toptiergas.com/

Koz
Lexus uses a knock sensor, so you won't hear it knock. It will retard the timing and cut down on power and mileage. I run the best fuel I can purchase in my area which is Mobil Premium 93 octane.
Old 08-16-12, 08:45 AM
Koz

Once you pass the required 91 octane you are only wasting your money. Higher octane does NOT make the fuel better. What makes the fuel better is the one that keeps your engine cleaner.

Koz

Quick Reply: Fuel discussions/questions - Octane Regular or Premium (merged threads)