GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 05:21 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I hope they brought all the extra clips you needed. Our guy replaced them all. No Leaks.
Old 08-30-19, 05:54 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Adding my story:

Got a star/spider crack on my windshield in February. Filed a claim with my insurance (progressive) online and their system automatically directs you to Safelite. Made an appointment with them and had the crack filled in within a day or two of the crack. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago and the bottom right of the crack started spreading. Within 2 weeks it is now spread over 12" each way to the right and left. Been reading reviews online of Safelite not properly installing the rain sensor and the LDA not working properly as well. I'm in Houston and can't remember if it was this forum or another but read multiple recommendations for Texas Auto Glass. Gave them a call and they sent the attached quotes. Called my insurance and told them I'd like to go with Texas Auto Glass. Texas Auto Glass just called me back and said they were able to approve an OEM replacement with my insurance due to the aftermarket (Pilkington) being out of stock. Scheduling an appointment with them and turns out they're the ones that do replacements for Northside Lexus. My option is either to have it done at Northside or their shop which is near Northside Lexus. They also mentioned that a tech would need to recalibrate the LDA, she didn't mention if it's a tech from Lexus or their own employee but it sounded like it was a tech from lexus. I have comprehensive coverage and should of scheduled directly with the dealership that way I would of got a loaner vehicle.
Attached Files
Old 08-30-19, 07:03 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

This puts me on my soapbox again.

Almost no dealer has any in-house glass people and they farm it all out - but - there is a very good reason to go to the dealer.

If something goes wrong (broken clip, wrong calibration, damaged something) then the dealer is on the hook to make it right without finger pointing (been there, done that)
Old 08-30-19, 07:26 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Yeah at a premium price if out of pocket.
Old 08-31-19, 08:35 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tecman
Yeah at a premium price if out of pocket.
Glass should never be out of pocket. In most states, glass falls under the comprehensive portion of your policy. If you have reduced the deductible on the comp side to something like $100, then that what it'll cost you regardless of where you take the car.

Reducing the comp deductible is cheap. For me, going from a $1k deductible to $100 costs me $26 a year. I generally have a glass claim every 5 to 8 years, so the extra premium more that pays for itself.
Old 09-01-19, 02:56 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1111
Glass should never be out of pocket. In most states, glass falls under the comprehensive portion of your policy. If you have reduced the deductible on the comp side to something like $100, then that what it'll cost you regardless of where you take the car.

Reducing the comp deductible is cheap. For me, going from a $1k deductible to $100 costs me $26 a year. I generally have a glass claim every 5 to 8 years, so the extra premium more that pays for itself.
I guess I never paid attention to the 2 different deductibles. My insurance renews on 11/30/19 and if I was to drop my comprehensive deductible from $500 to $100 it only increases the remaining months of my insurance by $50. Should of done this sooner :/
Old 09-01-19, 09:51 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramacher
I guess I never paid attention to the 2 different deductibles. My insurance renews on 11/30/19 and if I was to drop my comprehensive deductible from $500 to $100 it only increases the remaining months of my insurance by $50. Should of done this sooner :/
Yeah, most people don't know that and the insurance companies won't tell you. You can easily make up that difference (and put some money back into your pocket) if you raise your collision deductible to $1000.

In simple terms, collision covers things that are your fault like running into things. Comprehensive covers those items that aren't your fault like wildlife hits, glass, road debris damage and hit-and-run if you can show that it wasn't you (with a store surveillance camera for example - even if the person doing the hitting and running cannot be identified).

My theory is that collision insurance is basically catastrophic insurance and if I do something that's my fault, then I should pull out my wallet. In the meantime, I've saved a munch of money because going from a $1k to a $500 deductible is expensive - and I've saved that.

Of course this doesn't apply if you tend to run into things.
The following 2 users liked this post by cb1111:
KJ6IRM (09-02-19), SteveInCal (09-03-19)
Old 09-01-19, 09:53 AM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ramacher
I just noticed you're in TX. I think TX has separate glass insurance and some funky insurance laws, so you might want to double check my advice before you leap - but the general deductible advice still stands.
Old 09-01-19, 11:06 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I run with $1k collision but there are some accident free discounts over the years that effectively makes it $500. I also lowered my comp from $500 to $50 a couple years ago.
Old 09-04-19, 05:44 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can, buy the glass replacement insurance at the dealer on a new purchase. It's worth it (about $700 for 6 years unlimited miles) OEM glass is upwards of $1600. And the windshield is exceedingly fragile. It's a shame they don't make Gorilla glass for it. For the three years I owned the GX, I must have replaced the windshield 4 times. After I totaled my GX last November, I purchased the glass insurance for my replacement vehicle ... and it's already paid for itself. With all of the safety gear on the windshield, it's not like the old days when windshields were cheap to replace. Most times, Safelite can't even calibrate the safety gear.
Old 01-15-20, 10:31 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

I just realized that the previous owner replaced my windshield with Fuyao brand. It has been working good and the wiper sensor works perfectly, no noise either. I got a few chips and cracks that I used windshield repair glue to fix but thinking of replacing it.

I have never claim any windshield replacement with insurance before but will have to do it for the GX and the camry. For those that have AAA, how does OEM part clause work in this case? I also have an option to add full safety glass and windshield coverage, is this needed if I have full comp?
Old 01-15-20, 10:57 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I just realized that the previous owner replaced my windshield with Fuyao brand. It has been working good and the wiper sensor works perfectly, no noise either. I got a few chips and cracks that I used windshield repair glue to fix but thinking of replacing it.
I just went and checked my GX and it has a Fuyao also from the previous owner. Never any problems with it...
Old 01-15-20, 11:06 AM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Now I'm debating should I continue to go with it or a different brand or even OEM. Acrad and a few others on FB page reported that OEM probably has coating for water repellent. I applied a couple of RainX coats on mine this year and it has been shedding water but OEM coating sounds intriguing.

Originally Posted by Romanova
I just went and checked my GX and it has a Fuyao also from the previous owner. Never any problems with it...
Old 01-15-20, 11:26 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Soup, most people don't realize that Comprehensive coverage includes glass. You can have a different deductible for Comp, Collision, and a stipulated deductible for glass. People who carry a $1,000 Comp/Collision deductible (non-commercial private coverage) are doing themselves a disservice.
You can easily request a Comp deductible around $100 and as long as your vehicle is not the most commonly stolen model, or you live in an area where there are very few vehicle thefts or car fires (I was going to say car bombs, but not everyone gets my humor), then it will make only a minor change in your rates.
Old 01-15-20, 01:10 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I keep $1k on collision but get some $500 deductible discount with Allstate but only $50 on comprehensive as so cheap.

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements