GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Windshield questions, repairs, replacements

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16 | 05:35 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Delete the app and reinstall it. This has worked many times for me with other device malfunctions.
Old 09-16-16 | 11:02 AM
drcwks
Driver School Candidate

I deleted my app and reinstalled it and I get the same error. I thought I was able to log on to PC to also activate commands but I was only able to login to my resplus account and make profile changes. Etc.I DID find another Lexus owner describe HIS RES+ problems and he gets the identical error. I’m pasting his comments below in RED.This may have come from the APP reviews even though I’m on my PC but clicked on the IPHONE app.RES+ is broken by design by Cawrigh My RES+ stopped working a few days after I activated it. I took my 2015 RX350 to the dealership to fix the problem. The dealership did a "Master Reset." After the master reset, RES+ worked fine. Two weeks later it wasn't working again. Back to the dealership, and they got it working again. The dealership told me that there is a chip in the RES+ unit that goes to sleep if the vehicle isn't remotely started via the RES+ App every 5 - 7 days. To get it working again, the battery has to be disconnected. The message you receive in the App when the chip has gone into sleep mode is "Communication with the vehicle was interrupted. Please try again later." The NEW LEXUS uses..I believe …. For the RES+ features are integrated into the ONSTAR type system and does much more…texts you when door is open….etc…I guess I’ll contact my dealership where I’m at now and see if they have a solution.Thanks for the input.Dean
Old 09-16-16 | 11:14 AM
pinoyesv6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by drcwks
I deleted my app and reinstalled it and I get the same error. I thought I was able to log on to PC to also activate commands but I was only able to login to my resplus account and make profile changes. Etc.I DID find another Lexus owner describe HIS RES+ problems and he gets the identical error. I’m pasting his comments below in RED.This may have come from the APP reviews even though I’m on my PC but clicked on the IPHONE app.RES+ is broken by design by Cawrigh My RES+ stopped working a few days after I activated it. I took my 2015 RX350 to the dealership to fix the problem. The dealership did a "Master Reset." After the master reset, RES+ worked fine. Two weeks later it wasn't working again. Back to the dealership, and they got it working again. The dealership told me that there is a chip in the RES+ unit that goes to sleep if the vehicle isn't remotely started via the RES+ App every 5 - 7 days. To get it working again, the battery has to be disconnected. The message you receive in the App when the chip has gone into sleep mode is "Communication with the vehicle was interrupted. Please try again later." The NEW LEXUS uses..I believe …. For the RES+ features are integrated into the ONSTAR type system and does much more…texts you when door is open….etc…I guess I’ll contact my dealership where I’m at now and see if they have a solution.Thanks for the input.Dean
I had a similar issue. For me it wasn't the App, I had tried it on several devices and it wouldn't work. I took it to the delaership and they said they didn't find anything wrong. They contacted support from Lexus corporate and went through troubleshooting steps and supposedly couldn't replicate the "Communication with the vehicle..." message my GX was giving. I suspect they did something though since my RES+ has been working flawlessly ever since.
Old 10-01-16 | 01:05 PM
KJ6IRM
Rookie

I tried to get a replacement windshield through Safelite. They came out twice, yesterday and today, and both times the new windshield was broken. The cable at the bottom for the heated wiper blades was broken off. I canceled the order. I'm going to try and get it replaced from the dealer now. I read that tecman had good luck so I decided to give them a try.
Old 05-22-17 | 06:25 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

The stock windshield on my GX almost seems like it has a water repellant coating like the front side windows do.

Water beads up like it has a coating.

Or was some really excellent coating applied before my ownership? I've used RainX on other cars in the past and it would have never lasted this long. Just curious if I get a non-OEM replacement I will lose this feature.
Old 05-24-17 | 06:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
The stock windshield on my GX almost seems like it has a water repellant coating like the front side windows do.

Or was some really excellent coating applied before my ownership? I've used RainX on other cars in the past and it would have never lasted this long. Just curious if I get a non-OEM replacement I will lose this feature.
Front side windows have a factory water repellent coating?
Old 05-24-17 | 07:05 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Yes. All product information documents list it.

2012 example

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+info.download

under convenience features.... I would swear my windshield has it as well. Water beading doesn't exhibit normal characteristics on this windshield for something not treated.
Old 05-26-17 | 05:37 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

And I thought it was because I so carefully spray & wipe all windows with RainX after each time I wash the truck ...
Old 05-26-17 | 11:56 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Kinda torn... functionality on windshield is great but small "fixed" crack is a distraction to me. I was keeping a high comp deductible on this until I found it was only $40/year to lower from $1k to $50. An aftermarket is around $500 but it sounds like Oem is like 1500-2000. That will buy a lot of Rain-x
Old 05-26-17 | 12:51 PM
thedon3
Rookie

Smile Windshield

I have a 2014 GX and just had a OEM windshield installed by Lexus - fully covered by Liberty Mutual.
Old 05-26-17 | 01:27 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by thedon3
I have a 2014 GX and just had a OEM windshield installed by Lexus - fully covered by Liberty Mutual.
Too late for me on current break as it was already fixed under insurance for free.

Did they install by default or did you ask for it? I have Allstate. This is something I need to ask my agent.
Old 05-26-17 | 08:38 PM
User21c
Pit Crew

Yes. All product information documents list it.

2012 example

https://pressroom.toyota.com/release...+info.download

under convenience features.... I would swear my windshield has it as well. Water beading doesn't exhibit normal characteristics on this windshield for something not treated.
Hmm.... I only saw the line below in that document... but no windshield coating...
(Those are good docs, thanks for the link...)
  • Water repellent front door glass
Old 05-27-17 | 01:59 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I get that the documents don't line up but windshield appears to have some long lasting coating on it I have never seen before. Looking around it appears some LS models have the water repellent windshields. I'll try to get some pics or videos of it the next time I wash rig. It looks the same as the front side windows in a rain storm.
Old 06-01-17 | 08:23 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Last edited by Acrad; 01-09-22 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-03-17 | 07:55 AM
User21c
Pit Crew

Good video... I've had nothing but good experiences with SafeLite on my prior cars.

Quick Reply: Windshield questions, repairs, replacements