GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Front Bumper/Fender Gap

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 04:47 PM
mgs1995
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's my driver side. Passenger side does it once in awhile. I just push it back in. It would be nice if there was a clean fix for it.
Old 11-01-19, 08:08 PM
sivert55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '12 gx 460

Here's the front driver side fender gap on my '12 GX 460.
There's a triangle shaped black plastic retainer piece behind it that I've already replaced once. it didn't help because the failure is in the edge of the bumper piece, not the biting slot in the retainer. The edge appears to have split and narrowed, leaving nothing for the retainer to bite into. IMO, the plastic they used for that bumper is too soft to be used with a metal retention mechanism.
I almost broke down last year and just epoxied the thing in place, probably by applying it to the back side of the bumper and the front side of the retainer unit (not putting epoxy in the retainer slot). It hasn't come to that yet.

Old 11-04-19, 07:50 AM
ChrisOK
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been sending the photos to Lexus and just continue to get the generic response:
Please be aware the information you have provided is used in combination with warranty claims and other customer contacts to track trends with our vehicles. If in the future a Special Service Campaign (SSC)/recall or warranty enhancement is issued that would cover your specific issue, and you have already made repairs to the vehicle, Lexus would review your repairs for reimbursement at that time.

Your concern has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #1910210612.

Sincerely,

Tiffany
Lexus Guest Experience Center
The following users liked this post:
John00 (11-04-19)
Old 11-04-19, 04:05 PM
John00
Racer

Received 375 Likes on 286 Posts

getting the number is a major accomplishment. this sets it up in the system for logging then tracking fail rates.
if nothing else it will for sure get a review and a note to design on the issue.
Old 11-04-19, 04:07 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems like they'd have a very good idea of how many of these dealerships have repaired. Unless, like the dealership where I bought mine, it was omitted from the vehicle record and CarFax...
Old 11-04-19, 04:23 PM
John00
Racer

most arent under warranty when repaired so theres no record that gets to corporate
and when one does get fixed under warranty, the delaers dont always list the exact reason, this helps to get the claim paid. they put more generic things many times.
Old 11-04-19, 09:30 PM
KennyH
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is mine. 2011 lexus gx460. It's on the driver side.

Old 11-05-19, 10:44 AM
ChrisOK
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks everyone for sending the photos, I have been forwarding them to Lexus. Now we wait and see if they do the right thing.
Old 11-05-19, 11:09 AM
KennyH
Rookie

Originally Posted by ChrisOK
Thanks everyone for sending the photos, I have been forwarding them to Lexus. Now we wait and see if they do the right thing.
I took mine to an independent body shop and the guy was pretty honest. He told me the teeth along the bumper were “chewed” off so it’s most likely a design issue since mine never been hit or involved in any accident. Hope they do something to fix it.
Old 11-06-19, 07:40 AM
TNOutdoor
Driver School Candidate

I had the same problem on the passenger side. I ended up fixing the issue with double-sided 3M tape. I had a roll lying around from a previous project on another vehicle where I used the tape to reattach a vent visor. So far so good. Make sure to get the "Extreme Hold" variety if you choose to go this route.
Old 11-06-19, 07:55 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Originally Posted by TNOutdoor
I had the same problem on the passenger side. I ended up fixing the issue with double-sided 3M tape. I had a roll lying around from a previous project on another vehicle where I used the tape to reattach a vent visor. So far so good. Make sure to get the "Extreme Hold" variety if you choose to go this route.
3M sells a lot of version of their VHB (very high bond) tape. Thickness and adhesive varies. Do you happen to know which model you used?
Old 11-06-19, 08:04 AM
TNOutdoor
Driver School Candidate

Below is the tape I used. I do not know if it is specifically designed for automotive use, but has done well so far. I placed the tape on the solid portion of the mounting bracket next to the headlight. I did clean the bumper and the bracket with alcohol prior to use hoping for better adhesion.

https://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_US...4857497&rt=rud
Old 11-07-19, 12:38 PM
PNWRacer
Driver

Below is the tape I used. I do not know if it is specifically designed for automotive use, but has done well so far. I placed the tape on the solid portion of the mounting bracket next to the headlight. I did clean the bumper and the bracket with alcohol prior to use hoping for better adhesion.

I used that and another, thicker version in combination to secure the sail panels on my 87 Fiero. Great stuff.
Old 11-07-19, 06:15 PM
John00
Racer

gorilla also makes a version with the same rating as the 3m above

loctite clear power grab is about 3x stronger than both of those and is sold in many stores
3m has some industrial VHB tapes which are even stronger

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...sign-guide.pdf
Old 11-08-19, 08:11 PM
KennyH
Rookie

I’m interested in going this route. Would you mind sharing few pictures as well as instruction? Do you need to take the bumper off to put the tape on?

Quick Reply: Front Bumper/Fender Gap