Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiza
Coming from a ML or stock radio?
Stock/Non-ML on 2017 Premium
Old 08-11-20, 01:25 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I just replaced my dash speakers to kenwoods and its not a day and night difference like some people here suggested. I still have the treble maxed out however i can tell at higher volume LIKE 40 TO 50 they are much clearer and highs dont distort like the factory..

Bought 2 sets for $60 on Amazon and paid shop $30 to install so for under $100 is it worth a upgrade? Probably yes but i wouldn't say they are a HUGE improvement over factory.

Maybe i need to change the 6x9 door speakers to make the sound even better ?

These are my settings

Treble MAX
mid +2
Bass Center
Surround ON

Only reason I have the base in the middle as im afraid anything higher the 6x9 or maybe the tweeters will blow as most factory speakers do.

need suggestions for 6x9 that can handle bass settings even at max and wont blow and will give more bass then the factory speakers if theres none then maybe ill add a sub but trying to avoid that in this vehicle.
Old 08-11-20, 01:27 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dildildil
need suggestions for 6x9 that can handle bass settings even at max and wont blow and will give more bass then the factory speakers if theres none then maybe ill add a sub but trying to avoid that in this vehicle.
The Focals I mentioned 2 posts above are great and plug-and-play
Old 08-11-20, 01:30 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by klinquist
The Focals I mentioned 2 posts above are great and plug-and-play
yes but those are super expensive for what they are... being plug n play is not a issue anymore as ill be having shop install them for probably $30-40 and and adapters are only $16 dollars.

Old 08-11-20, 02:12 PM
droeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dildildil
yes but those are super expensive for what they are... being plug n play is not a issue anymore as ill be having shop install them for probably $30-40 and and adapters are only $16 dollars.
The NVX 6x9's I mentioned above will be here on Thursday and I plan to install them as soon as possible. I'll report back with my findings. For $90 and 60 day return through sonic, I figured it was the sensible way to go before splurging on the Focal's or something else.
Old 08-11-20, 02:39 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Well.. after spending an hour listening ... I've taken the Faitals out. I do NOT like them one bit. There is some specific upper frequency that just makes my ears ring.
Back to stock, treble back up a few notches... aaah... much better.
Maybe I'll try something else at a later date.
Anyone interested in buying 3 of them?
Old 08-11-20, 02:48 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by klinquist
Well.. after spending an hour listening ... I've taken the Faitals out. I do NOT like them one bit. There is some specific upper frequency that just makes my ears ring.
Back to stock, treble back up a few notches... aaah... much better.
Maybe I'll try something else at a later date.
Anyone interested in buying 3 of them?
how much I'd like to give it a try as i like high treble and currently with kenwoods im maxed and wish there was a lil more clearer sound at lower volume.

I have 1 speaker left of the kenwood if you wanna try

You can dm me
Old 08-11-20, 06:06 PM
droeck
Driver School Candidate

I have the Faital's installed in mine as well. I will agree they do seem a bit bright, but I'm hoping it's just because the stock 6x9's can't keep up. I'll know in a few days.
Old 08-11-20, 11:03 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toothpick
First of I would like to thank Tecman for an excellent write up and everyone else who shared their experience with the speakers upgrade.

I went through the same process of replacing front dash and front door speakers. I replaced dash speakers first with Kenwoods reccomended by Techman - the result was excellent. Then I decided to alter a bit and installed Kenwood 6x9 speakers into the front doors. The idea was to have the same signature sound speakers. The result was devastating. The bass was worst then with the factory speakers.
Obviously , I missed the point , of what we want from the front speake upgrade in our GX. Lexus premium 9 speakers system doesn't have a dedicated sub. So if we don't want to change frontal "concert hall " staging of our sound system, then most of the bass if not all of it should come from the front door speakers. I Am not a "bass head" and prefer an accurate natural sound. But we should at least have an option for a good bass , which has to be as close as possible to a system with a dedicated sub. Then we can tune It down if needed.

After some home work I narrowed down my new choice to two candidates: jbl gto939 and alpine r-type ( alpine spr-69).
Beeng a jbl/Harman fan , I ordered Jbl gto939. And I love the result! Both mid and deep bass are there. The sound is clear and comes without any distortion all the way to the max. Is it as accurate as my BW headphones? Of course not. But it is definitely better then stock GX460 ML sound.

For Alpine fans... R-type definitely has more bass then s-type. so most likely Spr69 is a better choice for the front door speakers.
i am considering either gto939 or gx963 which one would be better? Would these offer more bass then stock and sound cleaner ?

Gto cost almost twice as much then gx963 wondering if its worth the difference

Also do i need to buy the metra 82-8146 adapters ?

Thanks

Last edited by Dildildil; 08-12-20 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 12:52 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coolkjj
The Metra 82-8146 front speaker adapters fit my GX963 6x9 JBLs perfectly. They thump loud. Was considering a powered sub but these speakers surprisingly shake the seats. I think it is the low impedance. I would not recommend the JBL 3.5 for dash.
Really leaning towards the gx963 they are also lower ohm rating 2.3 vs 3ohm on the gto939

I have both in my cart someone help which one to buy

I dont really want to buy both as im not installing them myself and would hate to have the shop waste thier time installing one after another

Old 08-14-20, 09:47 AM
CFAI
Instructor

Received 323 Likes on 220 Posts

Any thoughts on how upgrading will affect factory warranty on the electrical system? Is that something to be concerned about?
Old 08-14-20, 02:47 PM
droeck
Driver School Candidate

Quick update....got the NVX 6x9's installed last night, and I would say it's a significant improvement over stock. Definitely feel I'll need to add a dedicated sub in the back soon to round out the system, but that's just me. For $91, this was well worth it. The kit includes the Metra speaker adapters and wiring harnesses. All in all, easy install and great sound.
The following users liked this post:
tonyjh63 (08-14-20)
Old 08-14-20, 04:46 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CFAI
Any thoughts on how upgrading will affect factory warranty on the electrical system? Is that something to be concerned about?

In short, the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act says that a dealer cannot void all or any part of a warranty unless they can prove that your modification directly caused a failure in question.

Match speaker impedance and you’ll never have a problem.
Old 08-17-20, 06:01 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Originally Posted by droeck
Quick update....got the NVX 6x9's installed last night, and I would say it's a significant improvement over stock. Definitely feel I'll need to add a dedicated sub in the back soon to round out the system, but that's just me. For $91, this was well worth it. The kit includes the Metra speaker adapters and wiring harnesses. All in all, easy install and great sound.
Great thanks for the update, now im confused which one should i get installed ordered both

Do u feel u have less bass then stock speakers or more ? Are u saying you'll add a sub becoz the sound has more highs then lows ?

Last edited by Dildildil; 08-17-20 at 06:23 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade