GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 08:29 AM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ You WII NOT be able to give more power to the back door speakers. That's how the factory amp (head unit) is designed. Read a couple post above for an explanation.
Old 01-24-21, 08:40 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats the reason i didn't replace my rear speakers i figured it won't make any difference and i didn't want to add aftermarket amp.

I wonder if adding 2/3ohm speakers might help ?
Old 01-24-21, 09:04 AM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dildildil
Thats the reason i didn't replace my rear speakers i figured it won't make any difference and i didn't want to add aftermarket amp.

I wonder if adding 2/3ohm speakers might help ?
I doubt it will help at all. How did you blew your front door speakers? Volume too high?
Old 01-24-21, 09:18 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

@Joot95 yea i believe so... the jbl gto939 are 3ohm speakers rated at 100w rms and the bass from them was great i had to get dynamat installed on front doors to eliminate rattles, also decided i didn't need a sub anymore.

my left one is getting lil bit crackling sound and thats why i believe its abt to go out.
Old 01-24-21, 09:35 AM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

^^ I've just installed the same JBL gto939 on the front doors a month ago. I also have the Faital pro 4fe32 on my dash. Bright, crisp and loud but lacks balance. Trying to get them break in. Hopefully mine will not go bad.
Old 01-24-21, 09:43 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

I only hear crackling on some tracks so not sure if its just the frequency going to those speakers causing it or if my speakers are actually going bad, i believe when i had the dynamat installed they had the bass up pretty high as i wanted no more rattles and they had to test them to extreme which might have caused the damage. Ill test them out today left to right and compare as i was really happy with these speakers even though its mostly the bass coming from 6x9s the tweeters somewhere give it a surround effect aswell

But i didn't think the factory amp would ever be that powerful for them
Old 01-24-21, 10:00 AM
Joot95
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dildildil
I only hear crackling on some tracks so not sure if its just the frequency going to those speakers causing it or if my speakers are actually going bad, i believe when i had the dynamat installed they had the bass up pretty high as i wanted no more rattles and they had to test them to extreme which might have caused the damage. Ill test them out today left to right and compare as i was really happy with these speakers even though its mostly the bass coming from 6x9s the tweeters somewhere give it a surround effect aswell

But i didn't think the factory amp would ever be that powerful for them

The speakers are indeed rated for 300watts. I doubt the factory head unit is able to "kill" it so easily. The highest volume I could stand was 50 on the volume **** and it was extremely loud. I listened to it at that volume with low bass for 10 minutes. I didn't hear any crackling afterwards. My ears went numb though.
Old 01-25-21, 09:31 AM
Dildildil
Rookie

Ever since i changed the speakers the sound got better and better the higher you listened lol i dont personally go over 50 maybe some tracks but im sure the shop had it close to 60 for testing purposes

Old 03-06-21, 07:22 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Old 03-09-21, 04:00 PM
lukashuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default KICKER KS Speakers in GX 460

After reading through this thread a few times, I decided to take the plunge and replace all of the speakers with KICKER KS series units. Here's what I used:
1 x KICKER 47KSC6904 6x9" speakers (includes adapter brackets)
1 x KICKER 47KSC6704 6.75" speakers (includes adapter brackets)
1 x KICKER 47KSC404 4" speakers
1 x KICKER 47KSC3504 3.5" speakers (come as a pair, but only need 1)
1 x KICKER 46KST2504 1" tweeters
1 x Set of 4 knockoff Metra 72-8104 connectors from eBay for $10 (surprisingly good quality)
1 x RED WOLF pair of speaker adapters for 2018+ Camry door speakers (pins had to be switched in the connector to match polarity of the GX dash speakers)
1 x Dayton Audio DNR-2.0 2 ohm resistor for the center dash speaker
Most of the speakers I bought in open box condition, so the grand total for this complete speaker upgrade was $419.

KICKER adapter brackets work perfectly in the 6x9" location after breaking off a few of the extra pieces of plastic.

Here are the insides of the stock tweeter.

I had to file down the back side of the KICKER tweeter to make it flush so it can be mounted on the original tweeter bracket. I also had to use a larger screw to attach the KICKER tweeter.

I reused the original capacitor inline with the new tweeter (mainly because my tweeters did not come with the original crossovers).

I used Gorilla Glue to permanently attach the tweeter to the bracket.

Here's what it looks like mounted in the vehicle. I did not have any fitment issues with the A-pillar cover when reinstalling it.

The 4" speakers fit snugly in the right and left dash locations. RED WOLF adapters had to be modified to match polarity of the GX. (Thanks for the polarity chart provided earlier in this thread!)

I decided to use a 3.5" speaker in the center dash location and added a 2 ohm resistor inline, just to make sure that its impedance does not drop below 6 ohms (original speaker's impedance value). KICKER speakers have rather large magnets, so I am not sure if the 4" could fit in the center of the dash, considering how tightly the 3.5" fit. I also had to cut the slots in the mounting brackets to allow for installation.

Here is the 3.5" speaker mounted in the center. There is enough space to tuck away the resistor and crossover.

And finally here is the 6.75" speaker mounted in the rear door. KICKER brackets once again work well after breaking away the unnecessary pieces. There was a small issue with the long screws that mount the speaker to the adapter bracket, because they could not quite clear the circular opening in the door. A file or shorter speaker screws can resolve that. KICKER uses the same adapter bracket for 6.5" and 6.75" speakers, so I chose to go with the larger size, because they have better response at lower frequencies. Without a dedicated subwoofer, this system needs all the bass it can get from the door speakers.

Overall, I am very happy with the results as the stock speakers are simply terrible. I now hear highs and lows that the stock speakers could never reproduce well. Before, everything sounded muffled, as if I was listening to my music through a wall or something.

Thanks tecman and everyone else who contributed to this thread!
The following 9 users liked this post by lukashuk:
arkaa (04-25-23), GoHuskers (03-10-21), jokal (04-06-22), L8Shift (03-13-22), miley (09-10-24), nycgnom (09-23-21), rmcole1 (10-25-21), socal3 (03-29-21), tecman (03-09-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-09-21, 04:21 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 887 Likes on 615 Posts

Thank you for posting this. I don't recall anyone going with the Kicker brand.
Old 03-09-21, 07:35 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

I need some clarification

do ML owners have no options to purchase newer speakers or we can, but have to stay within the limits of the ML amp?
Old 03-29-21, 12:50 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lukashuk
After reading through this thread a few times, I decided to take the plunge and replace all of the speakers with KICKER KS series units. Here's what I used:
1 x KICKER 47KSC6904 6x9" speakers (includes adapter brackets)
1 x KICKER 47KSC6704 6.75" speakers (includes adapter brackets)
1 x KICKER 47KSC404 4" speakers
1 x KICKER 47KSC3504 3.5" speakers (come as a pair, but only need 1)
1 x KICKER 46KST2504 1" tweeters
1 x Set of 4 knockoff Metra 72-8104 connectors from eBay for $10 (surprisingly good quality)
1 x RED WOLF pair of speaker adapters for 2018+ Camry door speakers (pins had to be switched in the connector to match polarity of the GX dash speakers)
1 x Dayton Audio DNR-2.0 2 ohm resistor for the center dash speaker
Most of the speakers I bought in open box condition, so the grand total for this complete speaker upgrade was $419.

KICKER adapter brackets work perfectly in the 6x9" location after breaking off a few of the extra pieces of plastic.

Here are the insides of the stock tweeter.

I had to file down the back side of the KICKER tweeter to make it flush so it can be mounted on the original tweeter bracket. I also had to use a larger screw to attach the KICKER tweeter.

I reused the original capacitor inline with the new tweeter (mainly because my tweeters did not come with the original crossovers).

I used Gorilla Glue to permanently attach the tweeter to the bracket.

Here's what it looks like mounted in the vehicle. I did not have any fitment issues with the A-pillar cover when reinstalling it.

The 4" speakers fit snugly in the right and left dash locations. RED WOLF adapters had to be modified to match polarity of the GX. (Thanks for the polarity chart provided earlier in this thread!)

I decided to use a 3.5" speaker in the center dash location and added a 2 ohm resistor inline, just to make sure that its impedance does not drop below 6 ohms (original speaker's impedance value). KICKER speakers have rather large magnets, so I am not sure if the 4" could fit in the center of the dash, considering how tightly the 3.5" fit. I also had to cut the slots in the mounting brackets to allow for installation.

Here is the 3.5" speaker mounted in the center. There is enough space to tuck away the resistor and crossover.

And finally here is the 6.75" speaker mounted in the rear door. KICKER brackets once again work well after breaking away the unnecessary pieces. There was a small issue with the long screws that mount the speaker to the adapter bracket, because they could not quite clear the circular opening in the door. A file or shorter speaker screws can resolve that. KICKER uses the same adapter bracket for 6.5" and 6.75" speakers, so I chose to go with the larger size, because they have better response at lower frequencies. Without a dedicated subwoofer, this system needs all the bass it can get from the door speakers.

Overall, I am very happy with the results as the stock speakers are simply terrible. I now hear highs and lows that the stock speakers could never reproduce well. Before, everything sounded muffled, as if I was listening to my music through a wall or something.

Thanks tecman and everyone else who contributed to this thread!
did you do any sound detonation material in the doors at all? Thank you for the write-up I’m ordering the door speakers tomorrow and putting in a kicker L7T sub also.
Old 03-29-21, 08:04 AM
BigLClub
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sound Detonation Material.... ?

1st time stereo listening//Last time stereo listening!

On a serious note I put in the Infinity REF-3032CFX 3.5" speakers in the dash.
Note: Don't get these speakers only because they are too small. The tabs/ears are too small-short.

Similar to this.

I had to cut out the openings on the tabs. Then adjust them to catch the washer on the screw.
In hindsight I should have gone with 4" speakers like Luka did.

Last edited by BigLClub; 03-29-21 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-29-21, 11:25 AM
lukashuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't install any sound detonation material, but would consider some sound deadening in the future. Either way, KICKER speakers are a great improvement over stock. My only regret is not doing this upgrade sooner. KS series are a bit of overkill with stock amp, but I got great deals on them.

Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade