Old 01-06-22 | 06:58 AM
Costa94
5th Gear

What amp you used?

Old 01-25-22 | 07:13 AM
Costa94
5th Gear

Update:

Finally upgraded dash speakers. Used Kenwood for center speaker and corners Alpine S-S40. Went with 4" for corners because someone already did 4" instead 3.5". They fit but super tight.
Well, difference is noticeable but it's not "Wow". Highs are much clear and as someone already mentioned center Kenwood is giving more bass. I have feeling like there is no bass at all from dash corners besides highs.
Overall improvement is 15-20%. Took me 1h to do everything.

Last edited by Costa94; 01-25-22 at 07:27 AM.
Old 02-01-22 | 06:34 PM
Train45
Driver School Candidate

stock ml subwoofer is blown. going to try and fit a SEAS Prestige CA26RE4X 10" in the stock location tomorrow. its a high sensitivity 80w max woofer out of norway, they make awesome drivers. im thinking it will be a good fit and the stock amp should drive it well enough.

Old 02-02-22 | 07:58 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Costa94
Hi everyone,
Just purchased GX460 with non ML sound system. I can say they don't sound that bad, maybe little better than sound on my G35 bose but biggest concern was that i wasn't getting bass on rear but after i read topic found out it's head unit.

After i read this topic i see all of you guys went with different options. I was thinking going with Kenwood for all of them:
Front: Kenwood KFC6996PS 6x9:
Rear: Kenwood KFC1696PS 6.5"
Dash: Kenwood D101 4" (Since i saw that someone installed 4" instead 3.5" decided to choose this

Still didn't order them but would like to hear opinions. My focus is clear sound, i don't need huge bass punch but would like as well clear bass.

Any advice, suggestions are welcome. I am aware that topic started while ago but there might be members still in; hopefully.

Thanks!
im thinking your biggest improvement will be from the front 6x9 door speakers and throwing in some sound detaining on the door to get some nice bass and no rattling. Just did this on another car and it made a huge difference. I will be ordering the same 6x9’s as you later this week.
Old 02-03-22 | 03:11 PM
markdh
Rookie

Originally Posted by Train45
stock ml subwoofer is blown. going to try and fit a SEAS Prestige CA26RE4X 10" in the stock location tomorrow. its a high sensitivity 80w max woofer out of norway, they make awesome drivers. im thinking it will be a good fit and the stock amp should drive it well enough.
I used a Pioneer TS-D10LS4 D-Series 10" 4-ohm shallow-mount subwoofer at Crutchfield in a Mark Levinson box. The speaker fit perfect just had to drill some new holes for the screws. I do not have a Mark Levinson system, so don't know how it would work with the factory amplifier. Just throwing out options for you.
The following users liked this post:
intlmike (10-02-22)
Old 02-06-22 | 08:17 AM
Train45
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markdh
I used a Pioneer TS-D10LS4 D-Series 10" 4-ohm shallow-mount subwoofer at Crutchfield in a Mark Levinson box. The speaker fit perfect just had to drill some new holes for the screws. I do not have a Mark Levinson system, so don't know how it would work with the factory amplifier. Just throwing out options for you.
i saw your thread on your install. very cool and i might do a similar install later on with a aftermarket amp. for now I just want to improve the lower register with the factory amp.

after y​​our install about how much clearance did you have left between the plastic panel and the subwoofer surround/cone? in the specs for your sub says its about a 1/2in thick from the mounting surface. based on
your pics it looks like thats about as thick as you can go without interfering with the interior panel. the dang mounting holes are 2mm off. im going to either drill new holes like you did or try to make an adapter plate to fit the seas woofer but i might not have the room. I didn't want to drill into the enclosure but if it worked for you i might do it. what type of screws did you use?
intlmike (10-02-22)
Old 02-06-22 | 10:36 AM
markdh
Rookie

Originally Posted by Train45
i saw your thread on your install. very cool and i might do a similar install later on with a aftermarket amp. for now I just want to improve the lower register with the factory amp.

after y​​our install about how much clearance did you have left between the plastic panel and the subwoofer surround/cone? in the specs for your sub says its about a 1/2in thick from the mounting surface. based on
your pics it looks like thats about as thick as you can go without interfering with the interior panel. the dang mounting holes are 2mm off. im going to either drill new holes like you did or try to make an adapter plate to fit the seas woofer but i might not have the room. I didn't want to drill into the enclosure but if it worked for you i might do it. what type of screws did you use?
I don't think you would have enough room for an adapter. I had an 8" sub from a previous project that I built a 3/4" thick adapter to use with this box and the woofer surround did hit the interior panel. I think I used 3/4" drywall screws? Drill a pilot hole and don't overtighten.
Old 02-16-22 | 05:59 PM
Train45
Driver School Candidate

just my 2c. the stock sub enclosure screw holes are reinforced and use special thread forming screws, pretty nifty, they form perfect wide threads. to drill new holes in the enclosure you only have about an 1/8 inch of plastic to screw into. it has worked for some I see, but I wasnt comfortable with the potentiall weakness. seems like no aftermarket subs will line up with stock. the overall diameter is just a little shy of the standard. I chose to drill new holes in the subwoofer itself. was tedious but in the end you maintain stock structural integrity. most are aluminum so they are easy to drill. you also might get away with just wallowing out the existing subwoofer holes and using large washers.

a good amount of engineering went into this screw, from the wide thin threads to the bevels in the shaft to flow the plastic properly to approach maximum strenght.

not saying my way is better than others, just putting it out there.

also, 1/4 in male quick disconnects work as an adapter for the stock subwoofer wiring plug. easily available at any hardware store.
Old 04-04-22 | 03:50 PM
L8Shift
Rookie

I reached out to the folks at https://www.parts-express.com/ for a replacement non-ML 6 ohm front center speaker, for the minimal clearance issues.

They recommended I try the 8 ohm, 4" Visaton R10SC https://www.parts-express.com/Visato...-8-Ohm-292-597.

Made in Germany.

Parts Express provided great customer service on this and other items.

Sounds clean, bolts right in with no mods.

I feel its worth the shot.
Old 04-06-22 | 07:43 PM
jokal
Driver School Candidate

Since this thread still seems to be fairly active, I just got a 22 GX without the ML audio, and wanted to keep it going.

I really just want to start with adding a subwoofer. I didn't see an amp under either front seat, so wondering if anyone with a 2022 GX has added a sub, and where they tapped the signal. Also, did you mount any aftermarket amp under the front seats or somewhere else? Seem like the only place at first glance, but it would also be in front of the underseat vents.

As far as speaker replacements, anyone try these JL Audio 6x9's:

"Starter component speakers like no other"

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_13699046/JL-Audio-C1-690.html?tp=105
  • component speaker system includes 2 woofers and 2 tweeters
  • 6"x9" injection-molded mineral-filled polypropylene woofer cone with rubber surround
  • separate 1" aluminum edge-driven dome tweeter with in-line high pass filter
  • handles up to 60 watts RMS (225 watts peak power)
  • frequency response: 39-22,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 94 dB at2.83 volts
  • top-mount depth: 2-3/4"
  • grilles not included
  • warranty: 1 year

Anyone who has replaced their front mids with a coax, do high range sounds also come out? According to Crutchfield notes, the 4" corners are only mid range, and the 6x9 door are only lower range frequencies.

thanks!
Old 04-12-22 | 08:16 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Just picked up a 2019 and have already ordered most of the parts I need.
  • Infinity Kappa component 6x9s for the front doors/tweeters
  • PRV Audio 4" for the dash speaker (taking a gamble here, very good reviews and high sensitivity)
  • Audiocontrol lc-6.1200 amp
  • JL Audio cs113tg-tw5v2 subwoofer
  • Pac Audio APH-TY02

My question:
In my studies of the audio system wiring, I see that the tweeter and the 4" dash speaker are actually wired together in parallel (see screenshot below). In other words, there are no wires going directly from the amp to the tweeters... Is there a passive crossover wired in between these two speakers?

Old 04-13-22 | 07:27 AM
Clemsonee
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Just picked up a 2019 and have already ordered most of the parts I need.
  • Infinity Kappa component 6x9s for the front doors/tweeters
  • PRV Audio 4" for the dash speaker (taking a gamble here, very good reviews and high sensitivity)
  • Audiocontrol lc-6.1200 amp
  • JL Audio cs113tg-tw5v2 subwoofer
  • Pac Audio APH-TY02

My question:
In my studies of the audio system wiring, I see that the tweeter and the 4" dash speaker are actually wired together in parallel (see screenshot below). In other words, there are no wires going directly from the amp to the tweeters... Is there a passive crossover wired in between these two speakers?

Keep us updated on the install. I also just bought a 2019 GX460 after having a 2017 ES350. I had replaced all factory speakers in the ES with Infinity reference series and added a JLAudio XD600v2 powering a 10"W6. Trying to figure out the best way to put the sub and amp in the GX
Old 04-13-22 | 11:10 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Clemsonee
Keep us updated on the install. I also just bought a 2019 GX460 after having a 2017 ES350. I had replaced all factory speakers in the ES with Infinity reference series and added a JLAudio XD600v2 powering a 10"W6. Trying to figure out the best way to put the sub and amp in the GX
Absolutely. Great choice on the sub... W6 has to be my favorite sub ever. But I wanted to keep as much cargo space as possible, and needed it to fit behind the third row when (or if) I use it...

I plan to start a new build thread once I'm underway... Just need to clear up this wiring question!
Old 04-13-22 | 03:47 PM
markdh
Rookie

I am pretty sure there is not a 2-way crossover between the 4" and tweet, if you look at the pictures in the original post of this thread you will notice the factory tweeter has a capacitor attached to it. How are you planning to wire your system? I would suggest put your infinity crossover between the dash speaker and tweeter. Use your active crossover in the amp to run about 70-300 hertz to the 6x9's and 300 and up to the dash/tweets.
Peacebay (04-14-22)
Old 04-14-22 | 11:14 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by markdh
I am pretty sure there is not a 2-way crossover between the 4" and tweet, if you look at the pictures in the original post of this thread you will notice the factory tweeter has a capacitor attached to it. How are you planning to wire your system? I would suggest put your infinity crossover between the dash speaker and tweeter. Use your active crossover in the amp to run about 70-300 hertz to the 6x9's and 300 and up to the dash/tweets.
Hm, you're right I missed that... Great call! In that case I think a lot of other people are just running the same frequencies to their tweeters as their mid speakers then, lol.

Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade