GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 06:27 PM
Toothpick
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psun786
Thanks. I manage to install dash and front speakers this afternoon. Went with JBL GTO939 in the front. Just like dash, the mount holes doesn't align correctly. I had to drill a fourth hole on the adapter. Honestly, the included mounting screws doesn't look very secure. I was afraid the speaker would fall out when drive over a pothole so I put some fabricated metal retainer on the back and epoxy it with JB Weld. For some reason, I still don't think it is secure enough but don't know what else I can do. How did you guys secure speaker to adapter? Did you just use metal screws on plastic?
i installed absolutely the same set of dash and front door speakers. I soldered original connectors to the dash kenwwods and
i recall setting the screws at angle and center speaker fit very tight.
As about front door GTO939 - i don’t remember how exactly i fit them. But I do remember using drill and a Dremel and an original Screws and metal housings. No epoxy. The speakers still work fine and seating well - no any rattling sounds.
I wonder how you like a sound quality of this set.
The following users liked this post:
psun786 (10-25-18)
Old 10-25-18, 10:01 PM
psun786
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothpick

i installed absolutely the same set of dash and front door speakers. I soldered original connectors to the dash kenwwods and
i recall setting the screws at angle and center speaker fit very tight.
As about front door GTO939 - i don’t remember how exactly i fit them. But I do remember using drill and a Dremel and an original Screws and metal housings. No epoxy. The speakers still work fine and seating well - no any rattling sounds.
I wonder how you like a sound quality of this set.
Sorry for the late post. I don't drive this car much so didn't check out the sound until a few days ago. I actually read your post and decided to follow your choice. Overall I am very happy with the outcome. The GTO939 output more base than I anticipated that I have to turn it down a notch in the setting. After the center and front upgrades, the rear felt somewhat lacking. Any good choice on the rear that matches GTO939?
Old 11-01-18, 08:56 AM
Toothpick
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psun786
Sorry for the late post. I don't drive this car much so didn't check out the sound until a few days ago. I actually read your post and decided to follow your choice. Overall I am very happy with the outcome. The GTO939 output more base than I anticipated that I have to turn it down a notch in the setting. After the center and front upgrades, the rear felt somewhat lacking. Any good choice on the rear that matches GTO939?
I didn't replace rear speakers. I was pretty happy with the frontal speakers replacement result, including how sound get frontal concert hall sound staging.
I thought it will most likely require more then one try to get a right set from the sound standpoint and install rear speakers setup correctly. So I gave up on this task.

Old 05-23-19, 05:51 AM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VonHess
Just some info I've found for anyone else who may be looking to do this. These speakers look like they may be plug and play, although they are a bit pricey.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IS6...RoCwHsQAvD_BwE
Yup, bringing this thread back...VonHess, did you go with these Focals from Crutchfield? I'm a big Focal fan myself and while expensive, my experience with Focals have been excellent. I see on Crutchfields website where they actually state that they don't have any recs regarding speakers for the Second Gen GX's (this could be because of a host of issues such as the complexity of modifying speakers in this type of vehicle which makes me hesitant).

I'm about to take ownership of a 2013 Base GX w/Navi w/o ML and I'm already researching what to do to enhance performance of the sound coming from the stereo. I definitely want to keep the factory look of the receiver but can installing a separate amp to power new aftermarket speakers help? Would anyone suggest swapping out all of the speakers or just the 3 fronts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-23-19, 06:32 AM
manyvices
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
Sorry I never posted an update!

So I spent 3 full days in the garage swapping speakers in and out, trying different combos, listening to different tracks over, and over, and over, and I ended up liking the sound of a lower end JBL line (GX302 in the dash, GX962 in the front doors, and GX602 in the rear doors) that I found on clearance locally. Spent less than $300 for 2 sets of 3", 1 set of 6.5", and 1 set of 6"x9"! They're last year's model (actually 2016 I think), but had a tad more efficiency than the replacement models (the GT7 stuff), meaning they'd make just a little better use of the meager power the stock system puts out.

Once I got everything installed and buttoned back up I was pretty confident with my decision. Highs were crystal clear, mids had a depth and range that was SEVERLY lacking from the stock speakers, and the bass from the 6x9s is enough to rattle the rear view mirror. VERY solid with zero distortion!

So why am I writing all this in past tense? Well, the 3" speakers for the dash didn't *quite* fit the stock speaker hole or the mounting holes, and instead of taking the time to make an adapter plate like I KNEW I should have, I just jammed them in there and hoped for the best. Well, shockingly, all 3 have now stopped working. LOL! Since they were on clearance I can't seem to find another set, so I'm back to the drawing board for the dash. I'll probably just get a set of the newer JBL line and make adapter plates for them, as I did really like the JBL sound signature they all had together.

Anyway, I'll try to be a little more active on here if anyone has any questions about my setup. Thanks again for the inspiration for the upgrade tecman!!! Replacing the speakers makes the stock system sound light years better than the factory setup. Now I just need a sub....
I know it's been a while since you did this upgrade but I'm very curious to see what you ended up doing here seeing that the GX302s didn't work for you in the dash. I'm about to take delivery of a 2013 Base GX and I'm already researching how to upgrade the sound. Any advice?
Old 06-03-19, 11:24 AM
DannyAbram
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation NEED HELP Basic Speaker System Upgrade 2019 Lexus GX460 Premium

Hey guys, need some help... I HATE the speakers that i got with my car (non mark levinson with navi package) and I'm looking for some recommendations from anyone who did actually change their speakers. Theres too much distortion when I up the volume and its not clear how I would want it to be (Even after playing with equalizer) Has anyone changed their speakers on their GX460 2014 and up ? If so what did you do and did it help?
Old 06-03-19, 12:56 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Speakers are the same as posted here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...r-upgrade.html
Old 06-03-19, 01:17 PM
DannyAbram
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered these at best buy, but I'm worried only because of the fact that I'm not installing them myself lol

For Dash 3 I got Kenwood KFC-1066R
front speakers i ordered KFC-69
back speakers KFC-P71

best buy swore by kenwood but I was just looking to see for other options but according to your thread you seemed to be happy with kenwood dash so I'm happy to hear that, just wondering how the front and back speakers are gonna be......
Old 06-03-19, 03:46 PM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyAbram
I just ordered these at best buy, but I'm worried only because of the fact that I'm not installing them myself lol

For Dash 3 I got Kenwood KFC-1066R
front speakers i ordered KFC-69
back speakers KFC-P71

best buy swore by kenwood but I was just looking to see for other options but according to your thread you seemed to be happy with kenwood dash so I'm happy to hear that, just wondering how the front and back speakers are gonna be......
No subwoofer? Does the OEM stock system have a sub? If not, then those speakers won't be enough bass at all. (BTW, i am not a bass head...but your system will sound empty.) And you're driving those speakers with the stock headunit internal amp.

From another thread:

Last edited by tigmd99; 06-03-19 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-25-19, 03:00 PM
Randyman
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rattmobbin
Correct. All your bass is being sent through the headunit to the 6x9's in the door, along with mid and treble. Slapping a midbass driver in the door is going to result in poor audio quality IMO unless you have a way of blocking the mid and treble signals being sent to that speaker somehow. (snip)
Hello rattmobbin,

Some questions for everyone: I understand there is a remote amp under the passenger seat, and that the radio itself does not directly drive the speakers - is that correct? Is it safe to assume there are line-level feeds from the Head Unit to this amp? Another "ES" thread indicates there are 2-pairs of shielded wires going to the amp (this suggests low-level line feeds, not speaker feeds). I'm betting that's the best place to tap in for an aftermarket system. ES - Shielded Connections from Radio to Amp Is this true for 2nd gen GX?

Then post-amp, can you confirm the front doors get a full-range signal form the stock radio? I'll be tapping off for a connection to an Alpine PXAE-0850S DSP with external amps, and just want a stereo L/R full-range signal to tap into. All F/R fading and processing will happen at the DSP. I'm hoping to avoid the need to re-combine both the front-door and dash speaker connections to get a true full-range signal (possible with my DSP, but very sloppy).

FWIW - The DSP has lossless BlueTooth - so my primary sound source will be my iPhone direct to DSP - bypassing the stock radio 100%. But I still want the option for FM and just to have the stock radio available on an alternate DSP input...

I'll be actively amping the entire system (3-way active fronts + active subs - 4048 Watts total), but I am still curious where the high-pass filtering is handled for the stock dash speakers. I'd assume at the external amp. I see the stock tweet has the capacitor integrated into it - but the dash mids don't. Kind of a moot point in my scenario - but my curiosity is piqued anyway...

Thanks - and Toodles
Old 08-16-19, 11:30 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Make any progress manyvices?

Hoping that VonHess can comment on the Focals too.. I'm a fan of plug and play...
The following users liked this post:
Ncan8 (08-17-19)
Old 09-24-19, 02:51 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Anyone else upgrade their speakers? Thinking about doing this in the near future. Can anyone comment on the speaker type that is needed for dash and doors? i.e. 2-way, 3-way, etc? For the center dash speaker, are you guys using the same speakers as the side dash speakers? So basically end up with 1 extra speaker?

Last edited by Chasin; 09-24-19 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 11:34 AM
cirastorza
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever get a reply to this? I'm in the process of changing dash speakers. I was planning to use Infinity REF3022CFX on the sides and 1 JBL GX302 in the center. Can anyone confirm this is a good set up or not? thanks all.
Old 10-04-19, 10:35 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by cirastorza
Did you ever get a reply to this? I'm in the process of changing dash speakers. I was planning to use Infinity REF3022CFX on the sides and 1 JBL GX302 in the center. Can anyone confirm this is a good set up or not? thanks all.
Nope... as you can see, no response. I haven't taken the plunge yet either. I am in no hurry though.
Old 10-05-19, 07:48 AM
ROSCOGX470
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cirastorza
I am interested as well. I want to basically switch out the 3 dash speakers with the best sounding and fitting speakers. Read this entire thread twice and it’s very informative but just need a a dummied down version so I can just order the 3 speakers and I won’t need adapters as I’ll just cut/splice wires(OEM speakers suck anyway, not worth keeping). I def would like to stick with the same name and series and I’m currently leaning towards Kenwood or Alpine.

Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade