GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-20, 08:00 PM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kiza
What are your opinions on the speaker replacement? I've been eyeing the same speakers, just wasn't sure if I should go with 4 or 8 ohm? Acrad's post indicates 6ohm, so wasn't sure if going over or under was the safest route?
I came here to ask this same thing.
Old 07-28-20, 11:26 AM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Replying to my reply: talked to a couple local audio shops, and their opinion is that going from the small increment of a 6ohm amp to a 4ohm speaker should be fine, and that a 8ohm speaker will be too quiet.

Anyone want to buy x3 8ohm faital speakers? Ha
Old 07-29-20, 02:10 PM
bunzey
Driver School Candidate

Talked to a local shop about upgrading my non-ML system. He mentioned some system reliability concerns with using aftermarket speakers with our amplifier (something about the way that the navigation models specifically handle signal/power between the various speakers). Has anyone had any long term issues after doing this upgrade?
Old 07-29-20, 03:27 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Not at all for me, but I am not cranking up the volume near as much as I was when I first did this.
Old 08-01-20, 02:22 PM
Dazed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone found an adapter to the factory harness/connector for the front speakers? I would rather not splice. Options I have found so far (neither are ideal):
- splice
- use the old factory speaker side connector and cut it out

I would prefer to buy something like a Metra 72-8104 but for the front.
Old 08-01-20, 06:00 PM
Kiza
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find anything myself, had poor luck with splicers so just cut, stripped and used butt terminals. Left enough slack on the speaker side in case I ever need to reconnect the old speakers.
Old 08-02-20, 12:08 AM
ferrets
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kiza
I couldn't find anything myself, had poor luck with splicers so just cut, stripped and used butt terminals. Left enough slack on the speaker side in case I ever need to reconnect the old speakers.
That's what I just did, except didn't really leave much bite left on the speaker side. Wanted more wire to work with on the vehicle side. New faitals sound fine, no need to go back to old speakers. Now, which decision to go with for door speaker replacements...

Old 08-03-20, 08:50 AM
JasonF
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am not. DIY-er...can anyone recommend a shop in Los Angeles (either Central LA or the Valley) that is good to work with?
Old 08-03-20, 09:46 AM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks like even though the Focal speakers are discontinued, there is a seller on Amazon that has two of the "IS165TOY 6.5" Component Speakers and IS690TOY 6x9 Component Speakers" still in stock. Very expensive at $700... but this kit for the doors... Plus 3x Faital Pro 4FE32-4 should be a pretty good upgrade I'm thinking. Any comments on that?
Old 08-05-20, 07:16 PM
pivaralgs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installing a Kenwood DSP Amp on 2020 GX460

Hi guys, I need some help installing a Kenwood XR-600 DSP amp with a Maestro AR. I am wondering if anyone has done this setup before on an older model. The factory amp setup in the 2020 is the same as previous model years (14-19) underneath the passenger seat. It has 2 connectors from the factory radio that connect into the factory amp. I purchased the AOT2 harness from Maestro but it doesn’t have one of

White connector. What function does it play?
the other connector. Picture below.
Old 08-05-20, 09:04 PM
pivaralgs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This will all be replacing the factory speakers. Need to make some custom modifications for the kicker sub woofers but it can be done..
Old 08-06-20, 11:31 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Not at all for me, but I am not cranking up the volume near as much as I was when I first did this.
@tecman

I read the whole thread a few times maybe more lol i have a 2014 gx460 premium with navigation and 9 speaker system i already ordered the kenwood speakers for the dash as u mentioned huge improvement over stock. Knowing everything that people did after ur upgrade like going with faital pro would u recommend those over the Kenwood?

Also i plan on adding a sub/amp in the rear should i tap into rear speakers for signal or front door speakers since most of the bass is coming from the front door speakers or does it not matter?

I like the bass that's coming from the stock 6x9 speakers in front door i usually keep it in the center/0 position as 100% of the time i have blown factory speakers with bass anything over the 0 level is there any speaker for the front door i could upgrade where i dont loose bass but actually increase if possible? I ask that as maybe to avoid installing a sub.

Also the rear speakers dont have much sound coming from them compared to the front this diagram shows same watts going to the rear as the front speakers so why does the rear sound way lower volume then front ? Is it due to only 2 speakers or just low quality speakers ? Would installing a set of components in the back make it louder and better?

Thanks

Old 08-07-20, 01:28 PM
droeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dildildil
@tecman

I read the whole thread a few times maybe more lol i have a 2014 gx460 premium with navigation and 9 speaker system i already ordered the kenwood speakers for the dash as u mentioned huge improvement over stock. Knowing everything that people did after ur upgrade like going with faital pro would u recommend those over the Kenwood?

Also i plan on adding a sub/amp in the rear should i tap into rear speakers for signal or front door speakers since most of the bass is coming from the front door speakers or does it not matter?

I like the bass that's coming from the stock 6x9 speakers in front door i usually keep it in the center/0 position as 100% of the time i have blown factory speakers with bass anything over the 0 level is there any speaker for the front door i could upgrade where i dont loose bass but actually increase if possible? I ask that as maybe to avoid installing a sub.

Also the rear speakers dont have much sound coming from them compared to the front this diagram shows same watts going to the rear as the front speakers so why does the rear sound way lower volume then front ? Is it due to only 2 speakers or just low quality speakers ? Would installing a set of components in the back make it louder and better?

Thanks
I just purchased a set of NVX VSP69 from sonicelectronix for $91. Similar to the Focal set, these seem specifically designed for Toyota applications and should be plug and play. I'll report back with my findings once I get them installed. The Focal set looks nice, but for $300, I find it hard to justify that cost when running these off the factory amp. So, hopefully these will deliver an improved sound. They have good ratings on the sonic website.

Also, friendly tip, but these were listed on sale for $91 on the sonicelectronix.com website, but went up to $111 today. You can find them on ebay from sonicelectronix.com seller for the $91 still if you decide to pull the trigger. Good luck!
Old 08-07-20, 01:47 PM
Dildildil
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I like the plug n play idea however those adapters are easy to find on Amazon etc, also they are rated 100w rms i wonder if running them off factory amp/headunit is enough to push them.... maybe so since they are made for toyota/lexus.

Keep us posted as i will upgrade the dash speakers to the Kenwood for now and see how they sound eventually i do want to upgrade door speakers aswell as i know if i turn up the bass to even level 2 they will be blown like all factory speakers.

Old 08-11-20, 01:16 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

I replaced the door speakers with Focal IS690TOY, nice having a complete plug & play solution there. Officially discontinued but found them on amazon.

I replaced the two side dash speakers with Faital Pro 4FE32s.... I'm not in love with them yet. Seem a little too 'bright'. I normally keep treble up a few notches.. now I've got it in the center.
I may grow to like them.

I didn't do the center yet because I'm going to run the center channel through an unpowered mixer (knowing it'll attenuate the signal a little)... so I can also run an amateur radio through it as well.

Last edited by klinquist; 08-11-20 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY GX460 Stock Speaker Upgrade