GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Buying 2012 CPO GX Today--Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 07:57 AM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buying 2012 CPO GX Today--Please Help!

I'm looking to buy a 2011-12 CPO GX today or tomorrow somewhere in Texas (I'll travel).

The ones I'm considering are mostly 2012 w/ about 40-45K miles (off lease, I assume). All seem to be base models with lots of options: Comfort Plus, Convenience, ML, and several have rear DVD. I don't think a single one of them has the air suspension, sadly. I guess that's part of the "premium" or "luxury" package for 2012?

The asking prices are 42-45K, depending on options, etc, but I'd really like to get one around 37-38K if possible.

Does anyone have a good pulse on the market for a '11-'12 w/ these specs, i.e. have you recently traded one of these in (or sold one privately) and can share what you got for it?

I've checked values on edmunds, carguru,etc, but I'm looking for firsthand insights if possible so I can establish a good target price. The Houston market seems to have the biggest supply at the moment, so I may be headed there tomorrow.
Old 12-29-14, 08:04 AM
JDSTL
Rookie

I can't comment on the pricing of the used ones but if they are in fact selling in the low to mid 40s, I'd scrounge up a little more for a new one. No way would I pay $45,000 for a 3 year old vehicle when I could get a nicely optioned new one in the low-mid $50s. Just something to think about. Now mid $30s would be another story as that would be a big savings over new. I would get on the phone with the dealers now to see if you can work out a price before traveling.
Old 12-29-14, 08:33 AM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDSTL
I can't comment on the pricing of the used ones but if they are in fact selling in the low to mid 40s, I'd scrounge up a little more for a new one. No way would I pay $45,000 for a 3 year old vehicle when I could get a nicely optioned new one in the low-mid $50s. Just something to think about. Now mid $30s would be another story as that would be a big savings over new. I would get on the phone with the dealers now to see if you can work out a price before traveling.
Yeah, I hear you, but I'm hoping to land around 40K w/ TTL for a used one vs 55-60K w/ TTL for a new one. The difference is probably at least 15K, maybe 20K, and that difference is big for me. Also, I'm not in love with the new grill. Actually, my favorite exterior is the 1st gen (I have an '05).
Old 12-29-14, 09:17 AM
mistabuyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what the current market is like but I've bought 2 CPO GX460's over the last year, so here are some points of reference. Here are the specs.

January 2014: bought 2012 Premium GX460 CPO, 30k miles ($45k after TTL and fees)
-Rear air suspension, HID headlights, headlight washers, power folding mirrors
-heated wood steering wheel, semi-aniline leather, illuminated door sills
-Three zone AC with heated rear outboard seats
-Nav/Mark Levinson
-Parking Assist
-preferred accessory package
-Rear entertainment system/DVDs

May 2014: bought 2011 Premium GX460 CPO, 25k miles ($47k after TTL and fees)
-Rear air suspension, HID headlights, headlight washers, power folding mirrors
-heated wood steering wheel, semi-aniline leather, illuminated door sills
-Three zone AC with heated rear outboard seats
-Parking Assist
-preferred accessory package
-roof cargo/cross bars
-trailer hitch
-exhaust tip

I liked the 2012 so much, I went looking for another and bought the 2011. Both are identical in color scheme (black interior, silver exterior). 2011 was a little more overall pricewise but was flawless inside and out, had almost monthly service records, and also had brand new brakes and tires front and rear.
During that time, I think most non-premiums I inquired about, I was able to get the price around 37-42k (before TTL). It's difficult to compare apples to apples because options, condition, mileage, and any extras you get can shift the price around. On my second purchase, I had also thought about getting a new 2014 GX Luxury but didn't want to spend the 61-63k (after TTL) that I was getting quotes for.
Old 12-29-14, 11:09 AM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Mistabuyer, that's extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to type out all the details.

Seems like you got solid deals on Premium versions, and it's helpful to get a benchmark.

I can't get the dealers below about 42-44K for the few 2011-12 Premiums I've found, and that's before TTL. So I'm probably going to get a "loaded" base for about 41K w/ TTL

Wish I had the extra 20K for a new one, but I think it would easily be at least 20K more comparably equipped.
Old 12-31-14, 08:29 AM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Default My Deal

Here are the details on the GX I just bought as a sold comparable for those who need/want one:

Purchased 12/14:
2012 Base GX460 CPO
45k miles
($38,500 = $41,220 Drive out)
No Trade; No Financing.
Starfire Pearl / Sepia. Excellent condition inside and out.

Comfort Plus:
-semi-aniline leather, wood & leather steering wheel/****,
-3 zone AC with heated rear outboard seats
Convenience Pkg:
-Power-folding mirrors, parking assist
Other Options:
-Nav/Mark Levinson Audio
-Dual Rear DVD w/ wireless headphones/remote
-Preferred Accessory Package (plus rubber Lexus mats)
-Exhaust Tip
-Towing Package

New Brakes, Battery, Tires (Bridgestones which I'll sell and swap for Michelin LTM M/S2).

I negotiated with dealers in 3 cities, and this was the best deal I found by 2-3K. The best offer I got on a Premium was 41K + TTL for a 2011 with 45K miles (unsure of condition as I never saw it but guessing it wasn't great based on pricing for their other premium). In general the Premiums were 43-45K + TTL, AFTER tough negotiating. Dealers are simply too fond of those presently...might as well buy a '14-15.

I HAD to buy before year end for tax purposes (which dealers didn't know), so perhaps I could have done slightly better with more flexibility on my end. But negotiating is a big part of my job, and I'm confident this was the best deal I could get right now.

I'm in Texas, have bought and sold lots of cars (mostly Lexus/Toyota & Infinity), and I've found the best deals are usually in the DFW area (lots of dealers) or in San Antonio. I bought this one in Austin and the next best prices this time were in Houston (Northside and Westside).

Good Luck and thanks again to those who helped me. Happy New Year!
Old 01-03-15, 10:08 AM
Passat774
Pit Crew

paid 35,800 2011 with 35k yesterday. 7 months more of Factory warranty.

-HID, Park assist, 3 zone, Nav. etc.
Old 01-05-15, 06:07 PM
gordie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Passat774
paid 35,800 2011 with 35k yesterday. 7 months more of Factory warranty.

-HID, Park assist, 3 zone, Nav. etc.
Nice deal! You might have done better from waiting til the New Year. My dealer was insanely busy at the end of December. But I had to buy then for tax reasons.

For me the CPO warranty was worth a few thousand for the peace of mind. But then I'm stuck with this gx for 3-5yrs because I'm taking it as a business expense. If I could sell it at will I'd just trust the stellar reliability of Lexus and forego the warranty... As I did on my '05 gx that I bought with 80k and no warranty...zero problems so far. But it was meticulously serviced by prior owner.