Received 75 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by The Ikon
GREAT Video!
Thank you!
Old 09-11-22, 04:12 PM
bob58
Driver

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a December 2020 post showing how I added USB outlets to the rear and inside of my center console. I t-tapped power off the 12v/cigarette lighter outlet to power both of them. It has worked out very well.

Since then, I have added a MagSafe wireless charging puck mounted in a tray that I custom fabricated in the center console and a Sieman's aluminum MagSafe wireless charging mount that I installed on the climate control panel. Both of them are powered by the USB outlet in the center console.

The big news is that I purchased a Beat-Sonic Wireless CarPlay unit that will be delivered tomorrow. (Yes, wireless. It’s a brand new release)

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lgvifcb4.html

I intended to install a USB data port on the trim piece just above the ashtray cover and below the radio. Unfortunately, like someone in this thread before me, I found that it just won’t work well. I then looked replacing the 12v outlet in the ashtray area but I dismissed that because I need the ability to power 12v accessories like a tire inflator. I considered cutting a hole in the side of the same area but I’m not keen on that idea, so I had to look at other options. Plus, I've already got enough going on in there with the iPod Nano which I will keep and removable USB outlets.

Beat-Sonic recommended installing a USB Audio/Charging port in the switch blank under the ignition switch. Unfortunately, the aftermarket version the recommend is no longer available on Amazon. Toyota has multiple sizes of switches and finding one that fit is becoming a real challenge. DO NOT buy the first one that pops up on Amazon. That 40mm x 20mm size will not fit. At all. Even when the parts finder says it will. Ask me how I know.

The 2017 (and equivalent) switch blank size is 33mm x 22mm.

I found one on eBay that looks like it will work but I won’t know for sure until it gets here.
USB Port Charger/ Audio LED Indicator Adapter for Toyota Camry RAV4 Tundra etc

While I do not need wired capability for CarPlay, I want one for those times where wireless is flakey or other people want to plug in for CarPlay and not have to mess with the wireless.

Since this outlet has both the Audio USB cable and a USB charging port (crappy 1.2amp), I’m opting to wire it for power. I took the opportunity to redesign my wiring plan. Rather than power all my accessories off the 10 amp 12v cigarette lighter, I utilized an 20 amp add a fuse connecting power all the way to the cup holder area. I continued my ground from there all the way back to the mounting bolting of the fuse box. This not only allows me to stop over taxing the cigarette lighter outlet but lets me easily t-tap both wires for the new charging port.

Now that all the rewiring is complete and tested, I’m ready to install my Beat-Sonic when it gets here. I really can’t wait!

Seeing these pictures makes me realize just how badly I need to clean my truck
The following 3 users liked this post by bob58:
bbqsoup (02-09-23), John00 (09-11-22), Peacebay (09-11-22)
Old 01-08-23, 12:08 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Job done. I used 14 gauge wire and an Add-a-Fuse. I used the stepped drill bit to get the hole pretty close and then used the reamer tool to open it up just a touch more.

Should have done this years ago.
The following users liked this post:
bbqsoup (02-09-23)
Old 02-07-23, 05:33 AM
ch99tj
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Splices found

I did the second row power outlet last night and tapped into the cigarette lighter in the front row.

But I was working on it, I noticed two wires splices in the middle clip to the left of the shifter ****. There was nothing connected to the taps. I also noticed this little hole that was drilled in next to the 12 volt outlet. I didn't take a picture of the taps because I did not have my phone.
Any ideas what might have been hooked up?

Old 02-07-23, 05:41 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Did the splice look to be factory? What year is your GX? Did you buy it used? Seems like maybe a previous owner had wired something up. Obviously a picture would be helpful....
Old 06-04-24, 11:57 AM
gordonf
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Looks great and inspired me to mount the 12V socket in the glove box too. It was a serious pain to get the plug out, but once that was done the rest was easy.

I tapped into the 12V source in the console instead of going directly into the fuse box.
I have a question - does anyone knows part numbers / have a links to Amazon,etc for these 12V and USB outlets?
I also want to make those slots usable in the glovebox.
Thanks!