GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY 12v second row accessory power for the GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 12:07 PM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to know Jacket. As others noted, excellent work on this install - extremely clean!
Old 08-28-17, 11:13 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did something similar on my 2017 GX460 Premium. It had the climate controls in the back of the console, but had tons of room. I just installed a single socket 12v size w/ 2 USB 2.1A charging plugs in it. I took the lazy way out and ran the wiring through the side of the console and tied into the other 12V charger center post. Since it was a 15A breaker and I figured I was no where close to maxing it with what I was using it for, it would be simpler for me and was just able to unscrew the center post of the 12V charger in the front console and get power from there. Ran the ground to one of the grounding bolts In the front console. About $10 probably in total materials. $8 for the outlet and probably $2.00 worth of other misc. parts around the house. Wire, a couple of ring terminal connectors, etc.. Now I just wish Lexus would have done this from the Factory, so I didn't have too........

The price of seeing my wife's face though with me having the console torn totally apart last month with her car only having 25 miles on it was priceless.

Thanks for all the Detailed Photos Jacket. They were spot on.
The following 3 users liked this post by Avmanager:
Acrad (11-30-19), Chasin (08-19-19), Jacket (08-28-17)
Old 08-28-17, 03:08 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

This is great! I did something similar to my Acura RL, but wasn't confident enough to tackle the GX until now.

Instead of a 12V socket, I was thinking about one of these and am looking for input:
Amazon Amazon

I like the fact that I wouldn't need to keep up with a 12V USB adapter like I have in the past.
Old 08-28-17, 03:33 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 860 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
This is great! I did something similar to my Acura RL, but wasn't confident enough to tackle the GX until now.

Instead of a 12V socket, I was thinking about one of these and am looking for input:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6S2SNM..._t1_B00MNGCDVS

I like the fact that I wouldn't need to keep up with a 12V USB adapter like I have in the past.
Looks good to me and no need for the adapter is a plus
Old 08-28-17, 03:55 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N6S2SNM..._t1_B00MNGCDVS

If you look at the links in post #2, one of the two outlets I added was a 2 port USB receptacle. I guess I didn't include any pictures of the receptacles installed. The USB ports get most of the use on road trips, but the socket plug is handy for more universal needs where USB isn't an option. I can see going the USB route for the majority of your needs.
Old 08-28-17, 06:22 PM
Avmanager
Driver

One thing I did was use painters tape to protect the edges of the dash since you have to tip the front of the console way up. I took the shifter **** off and pulled the front of the console farther out since I was using the power already supplied to the 12v outlet at the front of the console. Besides the item below, I used a total of 3 feet of 16 gauge red wire, 3 feet of 16 gauge black wire, 2 small ring connectors, and two crimp on male ends. Took a total of about 1 hour to do the full install from start to finish . The longest part was just making sure the hole was centered where I wanted to drill it. My son has already been putting the usb charger to use powering a tablet.

personally, I was struggling to think of anything I would plug in back in the console that wouldn't be USB.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262714122996
Old 08-28-17, 07:19 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Yep, I just ordered a couple for myself. One with a digital readout, the other with a blue LED. My brother just picked up a 2017 GX and is going to do the same thing. It's crazy that a 12V port isn't standard. I understand it's an option with something like the entertainment systems ($3,000). Silly, just plain silly.
Old 08-28-17, 08:25 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 424 Posts

Some day I will do this mod. I'm always afraid I'll break all the tabs and won't be able to snap them together.

@avmanager, how did you tab into the existing 12v usb?
Old 08-29-17, 03:54 AM
Avmanager
Driver

The bottom of the !2V receptacle has a tiny threaded bolt/nut as the center post. That's where the power was hooked up from the wiring harness to the actual receptacle. I used a small ring connector and just used it at that location. So I did not have to splice into any wiring doing it that way.

I'll look today and see if I can find a picture of the part from the parts catalog and circle it, highlight it, or something

The tabs are pretty robust and it is pretty easy to remove the paneling
Old 08-29-17, 03:21 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks for this write up.
I still can't believe Lexus messed this up with no power back there.

I ended up just buying a long USB cable with a splitter and snake it back there from the front on long road trips for the kids, but this is definitely a cleaner way to do it.

The easiest solution was I also bought an inexpensive lithium battery pack with 2 USB outlets and that can provide enough power roundtrip for those long road trips and I just leave it back there.
Old 08-29-17, 05:10 PM
Avmanager
Driver

I'm still floored they didn't spend the $5.00 additional it would have cost them to have it designed in during production. But then again, they left 4 blank spots in the tool kit and make you spend $20-$30 for that and it would have probably cost them under $10.

let's not forget that everyone changes the bulbs out to LED. That would have probably cost the run an additional $30 of mass production purchases to put in.

But then, I guess that would eliminate 3 or 4 upgrades we all do to the GX460
Old 09-02-17, 10:06 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Just finished the install and only took about 30 minutes. As AVMANAGER mentioned, there's tons of room and I tapped into the 12V socket in the center console. BTW, the marks/scratches on the plastic were there BEFORE my project, lol!

Old 09-02-17, 11:14 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Just finished the install and only took about 30 minutes. As AVMANAGER mentioned, there's tons of room and I tapped into the 12V socket in the center console. BTW, the marks/scratches on the plastic were there BEFORE my project, lol!

Sweet looks clean, since we couldn't have the GS caliper paint party how about the GX USB party lol. Even my 2010 IS250 had more cigarette lighters then the GX has.
The following users liked this post:
ch99tj (01-31-23)
Old 09-03-17, 05:51 AM
Avmanager
Driver

Install looks super Sweet. Congrats on the Upgrade!!!!!
Old 09-03-17, 08:14 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Great accomplishment!

DallasDave, I have the same configuration with rear climate control and will work on the same mod. One quick question, are you taking the plastic piece off with the control panel attached or the control panel needs to be off first?

Thanks again for all the info.

Quick Reply: DIY 12v second row accessory power for the GX 460