GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

DIY 12v second row accessory power for the GX 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 06:50 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

this thread was a lot of help thanks everyone. i drilled a 5/16" hole just under the audio and placed a rubber grommet here. routed a right angle audio cable through this and in to the glove box. I removed the side panel inside the glove box used a dremmel to cut out a circle for a USB charger.

question for those who may know the wiring diagram. i was going to tap in to the wires on the cigarette lighter (fused of course) since these are right there, only live when car is on and draw least current. i see a solid yellow and solid light brown coming off of the lighter in to two plug harnesses to side of glove box. i tested both for hot and neither one seem to work. the plug the brown goes in to seems to be the hots so i assume the yellow is the ground. but i cant get either one to trigger my test light. the only one that will trip it is a solid purple one in the same plug as the solid brown.will either of these, or any of the wires in these harnesses work to tap in to?

*before adding rubber grommet

Old 03-07-18, 08:29 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
this thread was a lot of help thanks everyone. i drilled a 5/16" hole just under the audio and placed a rubber grommet here. routed a right angle audio cable through this and in to the glove box. I removed the side panel inside the glove box used a dremmel to cut out a circle for a USB charger.

question for those who may know the wiring diagram. i was going to tap in to the wires on the cigarette lighter (fused of course) since these are right there, only live when car is on and draw least current. i see a solid yellow and solid light brown coming off of the lighter in to two plug harnesses to side of glove box. i tested both for hot and neither one seem to work. the plug the brown goes in to seems to be the hots so i assume the yellow is the ground. but i cant get either one to trigger my test light. the only one that will trip it is a solid purple one in the same plug as the solid brown.will either of these, or any of the wires in these harnesses work to tap in to?
I used fuse box right above the parking break foot paddle. The number #20 is open and has IG controlled power source. There are some pictures in earlier posts but its fairly straight forward to do. It was suggested by the member who originally did this mod if I am not mistake.
Old 03-08-18, 11:16 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

thanks @hzhao I was going to do this as well but feared I wouldn't be ale to close the cover on the fuse panel. is that true?
Old 03-08-18, 02:34 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by leftyguns
thanks @hzhao I was going to do this as well but feared I wouldn't be ale to close the cover on the fuse panel. is that true?
True. Since the fuse box in that area is facing down, no cover was not an issue. I have secure the cover in my glove box for reference should it be needed.
Old 11-03-18, 06:19 PM
BPGX460
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Looks great and inspired me to mount the 12V socket in the glove box too. It was a serious pain to get the plug out, but once that was done the rest was easy.

I tapped into the 12V source in the console instead of going directly into the fuse box.
Was this an option on some gx 460's? Kind of silly that these ports are there, but are not standard.
Old 11-03-18, 08:16 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by BPGX460
Was this an option on some gx 460's? Kind of silly that these ports are there, but are not standard.
No. It was just the blank on all GXs. I have done the same as DallasDave did, added USB and 12v outlets in the glove box.
Old 11-09-18, 06:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Noticed in this UAE brochure there is a 12V receptacle by rear HVAC controls.

https://nd-mediagallery2-public-prod...pec_2018_e.pdf

The following users liked this post:
HedgeFund (11-09-18)
Old 11-09-18, 08:50 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Will be trying to get the connectors in glove box.
GX is a great car, but it surprises me that some basic things are missing like the usb connectors and 12V outlets in center console/globe box and rear seats, as well as no LED lights inside/outside. It's an expensive car, but missing such basic items that my 2006 GS had.
Old 11-10-18, 08:28 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Anyone have a link to the unit they used for the left blank in the glovebox?

or will most of the generic ones you find work?

Old 11-10-18, 02:49 PM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Anyone have a link to the unit they used for the left blank in the glovebox?

or will most of the generic ones you find work?

As long as it fits standard Toyota switch opening should work (3.3cm x 2.2cm, if I remember it correctly)
Acrad (11-10-18)
Old 11-10-18, 02:56 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

hzhao: Thanks!

I'm gonna add in USB ports for both spots in glove box, 12V and USB on rear of center console and a '12V to the rear area.

The last one I intend to make it so it can safely support my ARB refrig off of 12V. This will definitely require some heavier gauge wiring. I have been using a portable power pack charged off the rear inverter to power the ARB. It works but not very convenient. Not efficient from power perspective to be running vehicle DC --> rear vehicle inverter AC ---> Power Pack AC ----> Power Pack DC
hzhao (11-10-18)
Old 07-07-19, 08:48 AM
Mojlnir
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Bringing this thread back because I found it so helpful and to add a small detail that I somehow failed to get.

To install the camera system in my wife's 2019 Premium I needed both switched power (per post #3 above) and constant battery power (to enable parking mode). I used the unused fuse position that Jacket noted for the switched power and another unused position three fuses above, just after the 25A Door RR, for the constant battery power.

I'll defer to someone else to note the actual capacity of these two circuits...I fused both for 5A, more than enough for my uses.

Thank you to Jacket and everyone else for the information!
The following 2 users liked this post by Mojlnir:
Acrad (07-07-19), Jacket (07-08-19)
Old 08-26-19, 12:29 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

What drill bit are you guys using to drill the hole large enough for the 12v socket? I don't think I own a bit that large in diameter.
Old 08-26-19, 02:03 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Chasin
What drill bit are you guys using to drill the hole large enough for the 12v socket? I don't think I own a bit that large in diameter.
It'll depend on the recommendation from the socket(s) you buy, but I used a hole saw for mine. Find you center spot and drill a small pilot hole with a standard drill bit, then use it to center the hole saw bit. Just make sure it's the right circumference the first time....
Chasin (08-26-19)
Old 08-26-19, 02:06 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
It'll depend on the recommendation from the socket(s) you buy, but I used a hole saw for mine. Find you center spot and drill a small pilot hole with a standard drill bit, then use it to center the hole saw bit. Just make sure it's the right circumference the first time....
Got it thanks

Quick Reply: DIY 12v second row accessory power for the GX 460