GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 04:19 PM
SCOFF82
Rookie

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cljones
@capn2000 ,@jphowey , @SCOFF82 , and anyone else who has installed the Chinese made Prado 150 rails from ebay/aliexpress/amazon, how are they holding up? Are you using them to carry anything and are they sturdy enough (I want to carry some kayaks). I emailed an ebay seller about the weight capacity, and his response was "This product is just a decorative piece, which can't bear too much weight."?? Seems like an odd response to me?

I'm trying to find a satin black vs gloss, but seems hard to determine from the non OEM ebay/aliexpress/amazon sellers.

The OEM ones look nice, but hard to justify the price if the ones from China (ebay/aliexpress/amazon) are good enough?

Would like to hear some feedback. Thanks

Lee
LMAO that is not a great response. I haven’t used mine to carry anything yet, but I have had the OEM crossbars attached and they seem at least as sturdy as the OEM non black line low profile roof rails and crossbars. I want to say I read somewhere else the weight capacity was 150lbs.

Mine are holding up well and I don’t regret buying them in the slightest, especially at 20% of the cost of OEM.
The following users liked this post:
cljones (01-21-24)
Old 01-20-24, 04:48 PM
suitcase
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran some non-OEM cross bars from Amazon that I used on a few occasions to carry a cargo box loaded with gear. They never failed, but they also made me very nervous. I eventually replaced them.
Old 01-21-24, 06:30 AM
Love1U
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacket
The one part I forgot to order is replacement moulding for the drip channels on the roof that are now exposed because the rails are elevated (also used when no factory rails are installed). These are available from US Lexus parts distributors, so I have pair for both sides on the way.

If anyone is interested in doing something like this, I'm happy to share all the part numbers from the JDM catalog.
can you provide the part number for both side rubber molding please?
Old 01-25-24, 08:05 AM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Blackline Crossbars PZQ30-60205 question

Does anyone know the specifications of the Blackline Crossbars, part number: PZQ30-60205

Specifically, I'm trying to determine if they are comparable to Yakima towers and crossbars. Do the Blackline towers (feet) have a strap that goes all the way around the raised roof rail? What are the widths of the Blackline crossbars?

I'm planning on swapping my flush roof rails on my 2020 GX460 to the Prado style raised rails, and the Blackline crossbars seem like a good deal if they are comparable to Yakima (or Thule). If not, I think I would rather get Yakima bars.

Any feedback on these rails would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee
Old 01-25-24, 09:26 AM
Siblue
Pit Crew

Received 134 Likes on 71 Posts

Lexus accessory for Blackline Cross bars are supplied by Rhino Rack. Most Rhino Rack items will fit the Prado rails. Not sure of the stock width(I have the cross bars stored) but I use Lexus clamps on my Rhino Rack Pioneer platform.

Clamps do not wrap around the rails completely btw
cljones (01-26-24)
Old 02-16-24, 09:23 AM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

Question on mounting the raised roof rails, specifically what sealant to use on the bolts going into the roof. Some have said flowable windshield silicon (I'm leaning this direction), others on other forums have said RTV silicone, some said butyl rubber, some mentioned Toyota FIPG, and some have said none needed if you have the OEM foam sticker gasket.

For those with experience, what did you do? I'm going OEM parts and have the small foam gasket, and am leaning towards putting some windshield flowable silicone on the hole and on bolt threads, and using the OEM foam gasket (I think this is what @Jacket did), however my experience with flowable silicone is that it is fairly thin (flowable), and I'm wondering if it will just run down in the hole?

Any experience or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee
Old 02-16-24, 02:12 PM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Permatex

Question on mounting the raised roof rails, specifically what sealant to use on the bolts going into the roof. Some have said flowable windshield silicon (I'm leaning this direction), others on other forums have said RTV silicone, some said butyl rubber, some mentioned Toyota FIPG, and some have said none needed if you have the OEM foam sticker gasket.

For those with experience, what did you do? I'm going OEM parts and have the small foam gasket, and am leaning towards putting some windshield flowable silicone on the hole and on bolt threads, and using the OEM foam gasket (I think this is what @Jacket did), however my experience with flowable silicone is that it is fairly thin (flowable), and I'm wondering if it will just run down in the hole?

Any experience or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lee
I squeeze a whole bunch in each bolt hole with Permatex windshield silicone. That way I can still undo the bolts if need be. I would also make sure some comes out the sides a little so that no water gets in the hole as well. Seal up all around the rubber base too. I will need to go back to my 4Runner and retreat the bolt and holes. Good luck.
Old 02-16-24, 02:17 PM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know the specifications of the Blackline Crossbars, part number: PZQ30-60205

Specifically, I'm trying to determine if they are comparable to Yakima towers and crossbars. Do the Blackline towers (feet) have a strap that goes all the way around the raised roof rail? What are the widths of the Blackline crossbars?

I'm planning on swapping my flush roof rails on my 2020 GX460 to the Prado style raised rails, and the Blackline crossbars seem like a good deal if they are comparable to Yakima (or Thule). If not, I think I would rather get Yakima bars.

Any feedback on these rails would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lee
Thule

i’ve been using Thule crossroads for over 10 years. It’s the one that has the strap that goes under the raised rails. From what I understand about OEM Lexus crossbar for GX is that it’s a clamp that clamp on the rails. Like some Yakima does. You have to decide which one and how much you wanna spend. I’m very happy and have been very happy with the square bars of Thule. To eliminate all the noise for all crossbars, I wrap a paracord around the front bar and the sound will magically go away.

hope this helps.
cljones (02-26-24)
Old 02-16-24, 02:24 PM
poohlo0
Driver School Candidate

Default Still going strong.

@capn2000 ,@jphowey , @SCOFF82 , and anyone else who has installed the Chinese made Prado 150 rails from ebay/aliexpress/amazon, how are they holding up? Are you using them to carry anything and are they sturdy enough (I want to carry some kayaks). I emailed an ebay seller about the weight capacity, and his response was "This product is just a decorative piece, which can't bear too much weight."?? Seems like an odd response to me?

I'm trying to find a satin black vs gloss, but seems hard to determine from the non OEM ebay/aliexpress/amazon sellers.

The OEM ones look nice, but hard to justify the price if the ones from China (ebay/aliexpress/amazon) are good enough?

Would like to hear some feedback. Thanks

Lee

I’ve used it to carry Whitewater kayaks. I’ve had four on top of my GX at one time regularly so that comes out to be almost 250 pounds going on highways.

Yes I do inspect and check the raised rails & crossbars whenever I tie boats on my GX. You can’t be too careful. I could potentially kill somebody if my boats fly off my car going 70 miles an hour on the highway.
Old 02-26-24, 08:19 AM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

I removed my flush rails and replaced with OEM Prado 150 rails on my 2020 GX460 this weekend, and I couldn't be happier. This really changed the look of the truck; and I did NOT trust those flush rails for hauling anything up there (I didn't like the way cross bars clamped to the flush rails).

I debated on whether or not to go with raised Prado 150 aftermarket rails from Amazon/ebay, but I ended up ordering OEM from Dave at Japan4x4.com - I have no affiliation with Japan4x4, but I can't say enough good things about working with them. Dave (Japan4x4) was fantastic: communication was great, he was tracking the shipment, and even followed up later to ask I had installed them - they are awesome! Cost for the OEM rails and all genuine hardware INCLUDING shipping from Japan was about $740. I realize this is a lot more expensive than the aftermarket rails on Amazon,/eBay, but I paid the price knowing that I was getting OEM hardware, etc. and knowing that if I ever needed to replace anything, I could get parts. However, feedback from others who have installed the aftermarket rails from Amazon/eBay seems to be positive.

The parts listed earlier in this thread was helpful, but when I emailed Japan4x4, Dave responded and knew all the parts needed (he said they do 2 or 3 of these "kits" a month). I couldn't find these parts on their website, but I emailed them, and Dave sent quote listing all the parts, as well as shipping from Japan to the US. If you want OEM hardware, I would highly recommend Japan4x4.com.

I used a big glob of flowable windshield silicone on and around the plastic thing sticking up from the bolt holse on the roof (as well as the foam stickers on the front and rear holes on the roof) other than that, installation is really pretty straight forward. I spent more time working thinking about leaks than it took to actually install the rails.

Lastly, I bought the Blackline cross bars (about $250) from Bell Lexus (also great). I do like the flexibility that Thule or Yakima towers and cross bars offer (I have used them in the past on previous vehicles), but I believe the Lexus Blackline crossbars will meet all of my needs, and $240 for towers and cross bars is very reasonable (someone else posted above that these are actually made by Rhino Rack). FYI, note that Bell requested my VIN number for the crossbars and said that Lexus was requiring a VIN for them to order them (I presume since these crossbars are specific the Blackline GX). I told them that I had a 2020 GX that was not the "Blackline", but that I was replacing the roof rails with the raised rails and they said they would find a "workaround" to get them ordered; a few days later they arrived with no issues.

Thanks to all who posted info on this thread!

Lee
2020 GX460

Last edited by cljones; 02-26-24 at 09:01 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cljones:
Jacket (02-26-24), NemesisGX (02-26-24), SCOFF82 (02-26-24), tntcandy (02-26-24)
Old 02-26-24, 01:43 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

That's cool to hear. Dave has been a member of the Land Cruiser community for a very long time and he's done a ton to support all of us over the years. I remember trying to do the parts research with him all those years ago; I'm glad to hear it's paid off for him and he's now got it dialed in. Enjoy your new parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jacket:
cljones (02-26-24), NemesisGX (02-26-24)
Old 02-27-24, 06:09 AM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially @Jacket for starting it!
poohlo0 (03-05-24)
Old 03-10-24, 09:12 AM
lembowski
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, especially @Jacket for starting it!
what was the email address for Dave? The website isn’t translating well and their inquiries page won’t let me submit a request.
Old 03-10-24, 09:29 AM
cljones
Driver School Candidate

@lembowski I first contacted them through the contact page on their website (google will translate the page, but it was still a little difficult): http://japan4x4.com/contact/

Then Dave emailed me, his email is stedman@japan4x4.com

Lee
The following 2 users liked this post by cljones:
lembowski (03-10-24), NemesisGX (03-10-24)
Old 03-10-24, 09:58 AM
NemesisGX
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

@lembowski I first contacted them through the contact page on their website (google will translate the page, but it was still a little difficult): http://japan4x4.com/contact/

Then Dave emailed me, his email is stedman@japan4x4.com

Lee
I just placed an order and it only took to email Dave. He is very responsive.

R.
The following 2 users liked this post by NemesisGX:
lembowski (03-10-24), tntcandy (03-10-24)

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade