GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-19, 09:46 AM
tahoechris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ncan8
Did you finished this project? Thinking about purchasing a hard shell roof top tent and I doubt it's going to clear the shark antenna with factory rails and cross bar.
I ended up ordering the racks from Fenza (miami based after-market auto accessories vendor). https://www.fenzausa.com/

They are supposed to arrive today, so haven't tested/installed them yet to ensure they fit. If you are thinking about putting a roof-top tent, you'll probably want something heavier duty that can distribute the weight better. Etrailer sells a 3 bar system from Rhino Rack that bolts directly to the roof (after removing the factory rails), if you don't want a full platform rack.

The platform rack is probably the best option if you want to put a tent or other heavy loads on the roof. Here's an option from Rhino - https://www.autoanything.com/roof-ra...SABEgIR7PD_BwE

There are others that I'm sure folks on this forum or check out the GXOR (GX OffRoad) forum on facebook.
Old 01-17-19, 06:01 AM
Ncan8
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoechris
I ended up ordering the racks from Fenza (miami based after-market auto accessories vendor). https://www.fenzausa.com/

They are supposed to arrive today, so haven't tested/installed them yet to ensure they fit. If you are thinking about putting a roof-top tent, you'll probably want something heavier duty that can distribute the weight better. Etrailer sells a 3 bar system from Rhino Rack that bolts directly to the roof (after removing the factory rails), if you don't want a full platform rack.

The platform rack is probably the best option if you want to put a tent or other heavy loads on the roof. Here's an option from Rhino - https://www.autoanything.com/roof-ra...SABEgIR7PD_BwE

There are others that I'm sure folks on this forum or check out the GXOR (GX OffRoad) forum on facebook.
Copy. The hard shell roof top tents I was looking at all state that a cross bar is all that's needed since it just clamps on top of it. I did look at that platform rack but most like additional accessories will be needed. The simple the better
Old 01-17-19, 08:21 AM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Chris, did they fit your GX? The Fenza site shows the rails for 2014-2019 Toyota Prado FJ. Mine is a 2013, so I'm hoping to confirm before ordering. Thanks.
Old 01-17-19, 11:43 AM
tahoechris
Driver School Candidate

They just arrived and I did a quick look to see if they should fit but haven't had time to install them (and it's pouring buckets outside). They also didn't come with any instructions. I think I can probably figure it out, but has anyone else on the forum who's installed the Prado racks on a GX460 found a parts diagram or installation instructions? They are probably the same as the instructions for the factory GX470 rails as well. Any instruction manual, exploding parts diagram or even better video would be awesome.

Otherwise, I'll hack my way through it and let you know if they fit and how it goes.
Old 01-17-19, 02:54 PM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

They just arrived and I did a quick look to see if they should fit but haven't had time to install them (and it's pouring buckets outside). They also didn't come with any instructions. I think I can probably figure it out, but has anyone else on the forum who's installed the Prado racks on a GX460 found a parts diagram or installation instructions? They are probably the same as the instructions for the factory GX470 rails as well. Any instruction manual, exploding parts diagram or even better video would be awesome.

Otherwise, I'll hack my way through it and let you know if they fit and how it goes.
If you got all the hardware that "Jacket" showed in his original post, you should be good to go. Those rails really look like what Lexus should have installed on our rigs from the factory. I am doing a big road trip out west, so I need to haul some gear on the roof. Trying to figure out the best way to go. Thanks for your info.
Old 02-06-19, 05:40 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fenza Prado rails

I came across the Fenza Prado rails on my own a few weeks ago. I mentioned them elsewhere on here because for some reason I didn’t see your post. In any event, have you installed them yet? If so, do you recommend? I am just looking to haul a Yakima RocketBox cargo carrier. Thanks!
Old 02-07-19, 10:21 PM
tahoechris
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the Fenza racks this week. They worked out and look great. I had a couple of minor issues installing them.

1) The middle brackets weren't quite the exact fit. I had to drill the holes a little bigger b/c they were 2-3mm too close together. Then they were a really tight fit to bolt in and I broke off a bolt ratcheting it in. I ended up buying replacement brackets separately from a sight in the United Arab Emirates that fit correctly. They were $3 / each and $20 in shipping.
2) The plastic covers (particularly the middle ones) have little tabs that can break easily, so be careful installing them.

The bars look great and seem MUCH sturdier and more useful to attach stronger cross bars. I have Whispbar cross-bars and put a rocket box, ski racks and Rocky-mount bike racks on them.

Good luck!

-chris
Old 02-08-19, 04:16 PM
Airpirate
Driver School Candidate

I just installed the Fenza racks this week. They worked out and look great. I had a couple of minor issues installing them.

1) The middle brackets weren't quite the exact fit. I had to drill the holes a little bigger b/c they were 2-3mm too close together. Then they were a really tight fit to bolt in and I broke off a bolt ratcheting it in. I ended up buying replacement brackets separately from a sight in the United Arab Emirates that fit correctly. They were $3 / each and $20 in shipping.
2) The plastic covers (particularly the middle ones) have little tabs that can break easily, so be careful installing them.

The bars look great and seem MUCH sturdier and more useful to attach stronger cross bars. I have Whispbar cross-bars and put a rocket box, ski racks and Rocky-mount bike racks on them.

Good luck!

-chris
Thanks for the update, Chris. Looks like the Fenza option is ok.
Old 02-08-19, 06:14 PM
Borgs
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Good luck!

-chris
Great to hear. Do you by chance have the UAE website and part number for the bracket? Also, did you need to use any silicone sealant on bolts?
Old 11-04-19, 06:47 AM
Bricktop3
Driver School Candidate

Default Rooftop Tent Bars

Originally Posted by Ncan8
Did you finished this project? Thinking about purchasing a hard shell roof top tent and I doubt it's going to clear the shark antenna with factory rails and cross bar.
I recently purchased a hard shell rooftop tent from Tentbox and have run into issues clearing the sharkfin antenna. I currently have OEM Lexus rails and they sit very low. Have you discovered a solution yet? I'm close to buying a set of Rhino bars RVP23. They require that the factory rails be removed, and I'm concerned that they will not be tall enough to clear the shark fin when mounted directly to the roof. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-04-19, 03:59 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 422 Posts

You could look into the EZ Rider towers if you don't want to replace the rails.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...der-tower.html

A bigger thread here too. Some people replaced the rails with 5th gen 4runner
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...rack-bars.html

Originally Posted by Bricktop3
I recently purchased a hard shell rooftop tent from Tentbox and have run into issues clearing the sharkfin antenna. I currently have OEM Lexus rails and they sit very low. Have you discovered a solution yet? I'm close to buying a set of Rhino bars RVP23. They require that the factory rails be removed, and I'm concerned that they will not be tall enough to clear the shark fin when mounted directly to the roof. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-27-19, 09:07 AM
fnjeep314
Driver School Candidate

So to make sure that I understand correctly, I can in stall 470 raised roof rails on my 2010 460? If thats the case, time to start hunting down some of those!

Please confirm!
Old 11-27-19, 09:53 AM
shmelvin1
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed a 4Runner roof rack on my 460, it fits almost 100% and provides a much better platform than OEM
Old 03-18-20, 11:27 AM
homieelee
10th Gear

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Wanted to drop in and say thanks to this guide. I followed this guide for tips on adding silicone to the tower bolts and used the codes for the molding roof trays to complete my 3 aero bar install. Btw, the cost for the roof molding was pretty expensive for 4 pieces of rubber.
I chose the 3 bar setup for my needs in wanting the widest spread for carrying my 21' long canoes. The middle bar would be used for a cargo box for winter sports.

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/fit-...moved-10-to-21
(Default recommendation is for 50" cross bars, I elected to go with 59". They do not exceed the width of the car"

bad angle, but the roof moldings are there

one reason i chose the GX, i can access the trunk fully w/ canoes loaded.

-Mike

Last edited by homieelee; 12-10-21 at 09:43 AM. Reason: link update
The following 6 users liked this post by homieelee:
Acrad (03-18-20), dtaski (03-18-20), fxoffroad (08-16-20), ltsr (03-18-20), RoyGBiv (03-19-20), sinistar (05-27-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-08-20, 10:43 AM
PNWRacer
Driver

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by shmelvin1
I installed a 4Runner roof rack on my 460, it fits almost 100% and provides a much better platform than OEM
I did the same last weekend. One thing I didn't expect: The 4Runner cross bars will not fit. Also, the gap between the rails is not consistent; it's wider at the front and narrower at the back.

Can anyone with the Prado setup compare? Do the OEM crossbars work with the Prado rack?

Quick Reply: GX 460 Roof Rails Upgrade