GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-20, 11:24 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

I hardwired mine using the invisicord as well. But I didn't feel like paying $99 for the under mirror mount and made one with a $5 bicycle seat reflector mount to go around the mirror "arm" and nuts & bolts to attach to where the suction cups go on the radar detector windshield mount. Also used a velcro strap so the wire isn't dangling down.

Old 06-08-20, 07:29 PM
Tilghman
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Yankee ingenuity! I love it!
Old 06-10-20, 09:34 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

when you install a dashcam with invisacord, do you lose the option for parking mode?

also, can it power a 2CH dashcam setup?
Old 06-12-20, 03:26 PM
Dazed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
when you install a dashcam with invisacord, do you lose the option for parking mode?

also, can it power a 2CH dashcam setup?
I am not sure what you mean by "parking mode", so will have to skip that question.

For the two channel, do you mean a front and rear setup? Or are you trying to do a stereo camera and get a cool 3D image? The answer depends on the current draw of the added camera system and the fuse/circuit rating of the circuit you are attaching the invsacord into. For mine, I checked the current draw of the camera with the rear camera attached (super low since its all USB powered) and looked at the circuit it attached to and there was plenty of margin, so it worked.

Also note that you should NOT simply increase the size/rating of the fuse. The wires are sized for a particular current and voltage drop as well. This table gives an idea of that and some ratings: https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Another option is to add a fuse/circuit....there are some threads on that.

Edit: thread on adding a fuse: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html
Old 06-12-20, 06:58 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dazed
I am not sure what you mean by "parking mode", so will have to skip that question.

For the two channel, do you mean a front and rear setup? Or are you trying to do a stereo camera and get a cool 3D image? The answer depends on the current draw of the added camera system and the fuse/circuit rating of the circuit you are attaching the invsacord into. For mine, I checked the current draw of the camera with the rear camera attached (super low since its all USB powered) and looked at the circuit it attached to and there was plenty of margin, so it worked.

Also note that you should NOT simply increase the size/rating of the fuse. The wires are sized for a particular current and voltage drop as well. This table gives an idea of that and some ratings: https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Another option is to add a fuse/circuit....there are some threads on that.

Edit: thread on adding a fuse: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-gx-460-a.html
Parking mode is when the camera keeps recording when the car is off, so that it can capture and incidents that happened while parked.

2CH is front and rear camera.
Old 06-12-20, 07:07 PM
Dazed
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Parking mode is when the camera keeps recording when the car is off, so that it can capture and incidents that happened while parked.

2CH is front and rear camera.
For parking mode, you'll need to grab a power line that is always on vs one that is switched on with the ignition. I'm not sure one way or the other if there is one up in the rear view camera; check the wiring diagram (and good luck.....you'll need it.)

For the 2CH, I think I answered above but it will depend on your setup. My rear camera connects via USB to the front camera and draws very little power.

Be careful when doing stuff, if you check my threads, I managed to blow a fuse that I could not find. It's also really easy to make your own cord; here is a thread: https://www.g8board.com/threads/diy-...-mirror.57666/
Old 09-14-20, 09:02 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

do i have to run a wire to the engine fuse box to hardwire a dashcam?

i want to get a Q800 pro but it has a dc power plug instead of the usb type.

if thats my only option i think ill have to go with a A129 and get the Invisicord.
Old 09-14-20, 09:14 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

do i have to run a wire to the engine fuse box to hardwire a dashcam?

i want to get a Q800 pro but it has a dc power plug instead of the usb type.

if thats my only option i think ill have to go with a A129 and get the Invisicord.
there is a empty switched power from fuse box under the driver side of dash, near the ODB port. I used that one for many added accessories for the power. Here is the photo of it, the empty fuse location is #20:

Old 09-14-20, 09:27 AM
WRD4chano
Advanced

to clarify, are you referring to this #20 or something in the image you posted?

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-jl5jhmj.png
Old 09-14-20, 01:59 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

to clarify, are you referring to this #20 or something in the image you posted?

My bad, the position that I was referring to is between #28 and #29. Sorry for the confusion.
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (09-14-20)
Old 09-22-20, 09:10 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

today i 'hardwired' my a129 with the invisicord method. thanks to acrad for listing his order detail in another thread, made the install a breeze.

for now im using the blue and ground wires, still looking for some kind of voltage cut off option so i can use the parking mode.
Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-u2kwb6r.png

the first time i put things together, the car wouldnt allow me to lock it. i turned on the ignition, then off, got out and the door beeped as though the engine was on. took things apart, then back together, and so far soo good.

i took it to autozone to use their battery tester and got a voltage of 12.79, tomorrow ill do the same first thing in the morning.

fyi, if you would like to run a setup like this but your dash cam uses a dc type power plug, send a message to invisicord sales.

If you order a regular Invisicord of whatever length you need, you can just snip off the RJ11 plug, or if I catch the order in time, I can make that end a bare wire so you can splice to a DC plug. The alternative is that if you send me your DC cord, I can put Invisicord ends onto the cord for you. I do offer a conversion service.
nearly got a heart attack later on when i took it to the car wash and it would start. turned out to be a dead battery. i had it in acc so i could clean the windows, but that only took about 10mins. im assuming the dash cam caused that due to the additional power draw.

https://streamable.com/5kpeqz

Last edited by WRD4chano; 09-22-20 at 09:31 PM. Reason: wrong button
Acrad (09-23-20)
Old 02-06-21, 01:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Fadi (06-27-23)