GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 02:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Is this your connector? My 2011 GX

Switched 12v, Blue is positive and Black is negative.

The following 2 users liked this post by tecman:
Acrad (11-17-17), no2thdk (02-28-20)
Old 07-31-15, 03:15 PM
Spacetop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply and picture, no they changed it, it's a narrow one now with 2 rows of 4 (or 5 sorry I put it back together already) pins. And the connector is not on the mirror itself anymore, it's at the top of the mirror stem.
Old 07-31-15, 04:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Looks like the newer model Lexus has the same (not a GX, but should should be the same?) Blue is positive and Black is negative.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-detector.html
Old 07-31-15, 04:33 PM
Spacetop
Driver School Candidate

Thank you once again, yes that thread looks like the correct position for my connector as well, at the top of the mirror stem, I will try blue and black! Will report back.
Old 07-31-15, 04:47 PM
Spacetop
Driver School Candidate

Yes! It worked, thank you tecman!! Blue is +12V and black is ground. You rock!
Old 08-03-15, 07:30 PM
Yar786
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations

Hi I'm new to the forums and wanted some advice. I'm looking to buy and install the transcend drive pro 200 in my wife's 2014 gx. Has anyone had any experience installing a dashcam in the gx. Should I tap into the rear view mirror or down the a-pillar to the fuse box? I prefer the fuse box but kind of afraid of messing with the apilar which has curtain air bags in them. Not sure if there's any room in there to just slide in a wire

Last edited by Yar786; 08-04-15 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-04-15, 03:41 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Default DYI Dashcam/Radar Detector Fusebox Wiring

Crap, I can edit this post, but not my dyslexic title. DIY

This can also be done at the mirror using Blue as positive and black as negative on all year 460s, but you may have a power load issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-question.html

WARNING: If your Camera or any other device uses a USB connection, it is rated at 4-5 volts, direct wiring it without a transformer will burn it up.

Pull the overhead console down from the front where the 2 clips are. The back side has plastic hooks that rest in place so just pull the console forward to drop it down.

Remove the 2 screws on the pillar handle and pull the cover up and out. There is plenty of room to put the wire on the back side of the airbag.

I had a separate little rubber nipple that wasn't used (it may be used for something on yours) I cut the tip off and ran a Glo-Rod through it.

I took apart a typical auxiliary to USB adapter and soldered it to the Add-A-Circuit. I wrapped it with heat shrink, but it didn't really form well with the different sizes. You may want to use electrical tape.

I used the WIP RR, this is switched and gave me some room to lay the parts in the Fusebox. I drilled a small hole in the back top of the box to run the wire through.

Left is the Lexus fuse and right is a standard mini. The Lexus fuse will not fit in the Add-A-Circuit. You may notice I am using a 7.5 and the circuit calls for a 15, I didn't know the fuse size problem and haven't gotten around to picking up a 15. I used a 3 volt for my camera with no problems so far.

If you look on the top left of the box you will see a ground? Well I couldn't get a reading with my volt meter so I went to the body.

Last edited by tecman; 05-19-17 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SigEpGX460 (06-22-17)
Old 08-04-15, 03:50 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ox-wiring.html

I looked at the info on your camera and I like it. Wifi and a good price, please let us know what the recording quality is. I am not happy with mine.

Thanks

Last edited by tecman; 08-04-15 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 05:36 PM
Yar786
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tecman
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ox-wiring.html

I looked at the info on your camera and I like it. Wifi and a good price, please let us know what the recording quality is. I am not happy with mine.

Thanks
What camera do you have? I'm thinking about returning the transcent drive pro because it is on the large side which will stand out in the truck. I'm now looking at the mobius wide angle. I like the write up you did but why did you route to the hood instead of the fuses under the steering?
Old 08-05-15, 06:29 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I am on my second rear view mirror camera now. I also don't like to have the camera obvious looking. I went to the main fuse box for the needed room to put the cover back on. The camera I have now is not a good quality picture and using the duel cameras diminishes the main purpose of front view so I have turned off the secondary camera.

Falcon 360HD
Old 08-20-15, 12:50 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I use a simple solution: just a phone mount and a decommissioned iPhone 4S. No wiring neccessary, just pop it in and hit record and remove when done. I have it pressed against the rear view mirror from the right side to stay stable. Video quality is on par or better than most standalone dashcams, but a GoPro will best them all if you are considering this route. This setup works pretty well and is able to capture license plates from a decent distance during the day.
Old 08-20-15, 03:47 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

^ your "simple solution" sounds like a PITA
Press record, press stop, delete videos and recharge.

I prefer set it and forget it.
Old 08-24-15, 12:07 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ha, well I like to let my engine warm up for 30 seconds to let the oil circulate and the engine to warm up a little bit, so the 30 seconds it takes to put up the radar detector (power wire already in place) and dashcam don't matter.
Old 09-03-15, 05:53 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I have this hard wired

Amazon.com : Blackvue DR750LW-2CH Full HD+Full HD 16GB Wi-Fi 4"LCD Touchscreen, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder - 16GB (Comes with POWER CABLE + CIGAR POWER CABLE) : Electronics Amazon.com : Blackvue DR750LW-2CH Full HD+Full HD 16GB Wi-Fi 4"LCD Touchscreen, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder - 16GB (Comes with POWER CABLE + CIGAR POWER CABLE) : Electronics
Old 09-05-15, 10:19 AM
11GX460
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I was thinking about one of these. Small and discreet enough, fairly inexpensive and now with Wi-Fi. Just gotta find a location to mount it and cover-up the rainbow. Any thoughts?

Amazon.com : Polaroid Cube+ Mini Lifestyle Action Camera with Wi-Fi & Image Stabilization (Black) : Camera & Photo Amazon.com : Polaroid Cube+ Mini Lifestyle Action Camera with Wi-Fi & Image Stabilization (Black) : Camera & Photo

Quick Reply: Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations