GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-17, 01:49 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Those plastic pieces from mirror to console come up pretty easy.

Blue wire you find behind is positive and black is negative. No cutting with invisicord. They slide in next to the wire terminals on side wire enters the plug. Easily removable as well. You will be plugging Invisicord into connector behind the top removable plastic cover.

Check out this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-detector.html

I had my wire come out from the top where the plastic pieces connect with the roof liner area.

Watch guy pull covers over quickly around 6:20 on this windshield replacement video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fc55LtiFaro

Last question, where do you stuff the transformer in the 460? Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 12-07-17, 01:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Are you talking about the device's (dashcam or radar detectors) power transformer or the Invisicords' 12-5V convert for dashcam? The latter I just stuck to top of mirror or one could put on back of mirror. It is pretty small.

Old 12-07-17, 01:56 PM
brian4l
Rookie

Are you talking about the device's (dashcam or radar detectors) power transformer or the Invisicords' 12-5V convert for dashcam? The latter I just stuck to top of mirror or one could put on back of mirror. It is pretty small.

The black box on the cord there that transforms the power to 5V. I was just wondering if it would tuck under the headliner.
Old 12-07-17, 01:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It very well might. Limiting factor would be the cable length so you might need to consider some kind of USB cable extension that plugged into the device. You may want to reach out to Invisicord as well as they may be able to accommodate a custom cable length.

EDIT: http://invisicord.com/order.html

"If you purchase a cord, but decide within 30 days of purchase it is not long enough, please send us an email with your order info (email address used, approximate order date, and length ordered). Then send back the cord to us. There will be a upgrade fee (found below) that will have to paid prior to the new cord being shipped"

Reach out beforehand and get the cord length you think you will need. I don't have the measurements readily on-hand for the transformer but undoubtedly company can provide that info.

Last edited by Acrad; 12-07-17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-07-17, 05:10 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by brian4l
The black box on the cord there that transforms the power to 5V. I was just wondering if it would tuck under the headliner.
My original transformer that I put in the fuse box went bad so I eliminated it and installed an inline direct wire model above the overhead console. Plenty of room up there.
Old 12-08-17, 06:54 AM
brian4l
Rookie

It very well might. Limiting factor would be the cable length so you might need to consider some kind of USB cable extension that plugged into the device. You may want to reach out to Invisicord as well as they may be able to accommodate a custom cable length.

EDIT: http://invisicord.com/order.html

"If you purchase a cord, but decide within 30 days of purchase it is not long enough, please send us an email with your order info (email address used, approximate order date, and length ordered). Then send back the cord to us. There will be a upgrade fee (found below) that will have to paid prior to the new cord being shipped"

Reach out beforehand and get the cord length you think you will need. I don't have the measurements readily on-hand for the transformer but undoubtedly company can provide that info.

Well I pulled the trigger on the invsacord with fuse option thanks to you. I looked and the add-a-fuse would not have worked, you couldn't close the lid on the internal fuse box. Did you velcro the transformer from the invsafuse to the back of your rear view mirror? Any other advice for the install?
Old 12-08-17, 10:33 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by brian4l
Well I pulled the trigger on the invsacord with fuse option thanks to you. I looked and the add-a-fuse would not have worked, you couldn't close the lid on the internal fuse box. Did you velcro the transformer from the invsafuse to the back of your rear view mirror? Any other advice for the install?
There will be double stick tape already attached to it. Just take your time and initially connect with power off and ensure connector is securely in there. I had to reseat one time to get a connection.
Old 12-15-17, 01:02 PM
lesha30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dash cam wiring question

Hi All,

I'm trying to install a dash cam using the invisicord. I was planning to tap power somewhere in the overhead assembly, but I wasn't sure which wires I could use (see pics attached). Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 12-15-17, 01:39 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I used the wires for the Homelink mirror. You take those two small plastic covers off just above mirror and connector is behind upper one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10049758
The following users liked this post:
tecman (12-15-17)
Old 12-15-17, 02:28 PM
lesha30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the wires for the Homelink mirror. You take those two small plastic covers off just above mirror and connector is behind upper one.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10049758

Thank you!!! It took me less than 5 minutes to install. Very helpful!
Old 12-15-17, 03:03 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Cool!! Good to hear!!!
Old 12-19-17, 05:28 AM
brian4l
Rookie

There will be double stick tape already attached to it. Just take your time and initially connect with power off and ensure connector is securely in there. I had to reseat one time to get a connection.
I received the insvacord and installed into directly into the back of the mirror, the hardness that provides power to the self-dimming mirror. There is another device up there and I popped the cover off but did't know what color wires provided power and didn't have a voltmeter. I just used the blue and black wire on the mirror itself. I noticed you may have used something else, you mention two covers, I did not have to pop off any covers for this install, it was right into the back of the mirror. do you see an issue with my install?
Old 12-19-17, 06:47 AM
brian4l
Rookie

What year is your GX? '12 and later should have the covers. '10 & '11 should be far easier and direct plug and play.
Bingo, I have an 11.
Old 05-06-18, 09:55 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Anyone running a 4K camera? I was thinking of upgrading my Transcend to this,
Amazon Amazon

I could use the old camera for the rear.
Old 05-06-18, 05:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Trying to get better audio and video clairity of a license plate. Youtube brings the quality down I know. Reviews and videos on Amazon look good for this cam.

posted on Car Chat.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...yclists-5.html

Quick Reply: Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations