Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-14, 08:15 PM
Seanathin
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 GX460 Hardwire Passport 8500 and Mirror mount/ power

I searched around a bit and still had some GX specific questions so here it is:

I wanted the detector off the window and the cord off the dash. I couldn't understand paying over $100 for something that I would never see, and that is responsible for accomplishing a remarkably simple task (with no safety implications).

HOME MADE MIRROR MOUNT (for passport/ valentine 1/ whatever):

Basic instructions here:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=452376

Pretty straightforward; I did some test fitting holding the suction cup mount to the reflector bracket before attaching the two permanently. I used epoxy, then trimmed the edges with a dremel, sanded the whole thing with 400 grit and sprayed it all with flat black spray paint (avoiding silver bolts/ screws all over the place).

Note: you might need to add some girth to the mirror stem to get the clamp portion of reflector bracket to fit.

Test fitting (before paint/ trimming):

HOMEMADE 12V POWER

This could be had for pretty cheap if you shop around eBay, but it was Sunday, there's a Radio Shack 3 minutes away, and I was ready to go.

Basic instructions here:
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856090

Strip a couple wires, crimp a couple d-subminiature pins, heat up some heat shrink tubes and you're done. I practiced stripping/ crimping on a piece of scrap before measuring the length I wanted and making the final.

Note: check the order of colored wires in your phone line style plug - one end will match your detectors original power source, and the other end will be reversed. Not a problem, just keep this in mind when you start attaching power/ ground. The image below shows the original passport style wire diagram.

MIRROR TAP (Power and ground on rear view mirror of 2010 GX460)

Basic instructions here:
http://www.mirrortap.com/docs/instructions/mt-2012.pdf

The above covers generic guidance, and worked well for me - all you should need is specifics for the GX.

The back of the mirror had 4 wires: green, blue, black, and purple. Using a voltmeter, I found blue was 12V power and black was ground. Using the above wiring diagram (and assuming you aren't using a reversed order end of your phone cord), attach the red wire d-sub pin into the blue hole and the green wire d-sub pin into black.

Note: reading various other lexus posts, it seems like the number/ color wires going into mirrors varies significantly. If you are uncertain, use a voltmeter and confirm.

And done:

I know, laser works better lower, but radar works better higher, and that's what always ends up saving most drivers from a ticket.

If you find yourself tempted to make the old "you paid $XXXXX for this SUV and now you want to save $XXX" comment, don't fret - Ill still be spending frivolously.... Just not on this.
Old 01-13-14, 04:57 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 596 Posts

Thanks for the informative post. I installed a dash cam and just pulled down the overhead console and probably metered 10 wires until I found 12V switched. Interesting you say radar is the most common I always see police in North Atlanta using laser(you can tell because they hold it up to there eye) maybe states vary. My understanding is laser detectors will let you know you are getting a ticket due to it only alerts when you are shot. I would use a detector if I knew it would work but as one of your link posters stated police will treat you differently when they see a detector on your vehicle so a quick ****** down would be nice. Maybe a magnet mount...
Old 02-02-14, 11:08 AM
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwire Valentine One with BlendMount and Invisicord 2014 GX460

I have been searching through all of the forums to figure out which wires to tap for my radar detector.

Most of the threads were old and the wires weren't the same color on my vehicle.

I went with the blue wire on the bottom left for the 12v switched and black wire next to it as the ground. Couldn't get my multimeter to give me a reading but it seems to work.

Can anyone confirm if I did this correctly?

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-img_3495.jpg

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-img_3498.jpg

Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-img_3499.jpg
Old 02-02-14, 11:18 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Did you see this thread?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...unt-power.html
Old 02-02-14, 11:28 AM
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

Yes, but I don't believe my mirror has that connector on the back.
Old 07-30-14, 07:44 PM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
Thanks for the informative post. I installed a dash cam and just pulled down the overhead console and probably metered 10 wires until I found 12V switched. Interesting you say radar is the most common I always see police in North Atlanta using laser(you can tell because they hold it up to there eye) maybe states vary. My understanding is laser detectors will let you know you are getting a ticket due to it only alerts when you are shot. I would use a detector if I knew it would work but as one of your link posters stated police will treat you differently when they see a detector on your vehicle so a quick ****** down would be nice. Maybe a magnet mount...
tecman.
here is the Dashcam i want to install.
http://www.navinc.co.kr/mall/m_page....me=en_DEFENDER

how easy was it to tap mirror for power source? I have 3 wires for this dash cam to connect. i may have some issues as I have the radar sensor and another camera for driver support package
One is ground.
One is yellow (ACC)
One is red (labeled b+)
Old 07-31-14, 11:51 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Great Post...may have to do this now...lol
Old 07-31-14, 12:39 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by T4Fun
tecman.
here is the Dashcam i want to install.
http://www.navinc.co.kr/mall/m_page....me=en_DEFENDER

how easy was it to tap mirror for power source? I have 3 wires for this dash cam to connect. i may have some issues as I have the radar sensor and another camera for driver support package
One is ground.
One is yellow (ACC)
One is red (labeled b+)
Be sure to pull down the console from the windshield side as shown.
There are 2 wiring harnesses, this describes the one in the pic.It should have all that you need. The 4 inch touch screen you have will require more amps than the camera I have ( my specs show 0.2A ) not sure if this will be a problem.

White/Black= Ground
Dark blue= Switched (ACC)
White= Constant 12 volt (b+)
Attached Thumbnails Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-022.jpg   Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-019.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (02-24-19)
Old 07-31-14, 03:04 PM
T4Fun
Racer

tecman.
thanks for pics.
Do you know where else i could tap the power? Perhaps near fuse box under dash on drivers side?
Old 07-31-14, 03:54 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

If you are going to run the wire under the dash, why not go to the fuse box (wire chase is behind the emergency brake) and use a tap adaptor like this.
Attached Thumbnails Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations-mfct-with-fuse.jpg  

Last edited by tecman; 07-31-14 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-02-14, 04:56 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Originally Posted by tecman
If you are going to run the wire under the dash, why not go to the fuse box (wire chase is behind the emergency brake) and use a tap adaptor like this.
ive not done this before, so a little unclear here

so using this wire tap, i would attach 2 of my wires to fuse box and the third one goes to ground?
Old 08-03-14, 11:14 AM
tecman
Lead Lap

Yes, if you are going to record in park mode one wire is constant voltage and the other wire is switched in order to record full time and to turn on the touch screen. Park mode will drain the battery so I would recommend something like this.

Last edited by tecman; 08-03-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 05:11 PM
FLYZ
Driver School Candidate

Can you post a picture from the other side, showing where you tapped the connector? Is it inside the black housing or up, inside the headliner?
Old 08-26-14, 11:22 AM
jbc247
Driver School Candidate

It's inside the black housing, I unplugged the cable, stuck the invisicord in and then reconnected.
Old 07-30-15, 09:08 PM
Spacetop
Driver School Candidate

Question GX460 2015 Mirror wiretap question

Hey all,

I'm trying to wiretap my mirror connector for the radar detector power, and I'm having trouble taking out the connector - it's a strange connector - I can't see where the clip is. It comes out half way but I don't know what to depress to take it out completely and I don't want to force it in case it breaks.

An alternate question is if anyone maybe knows which color wire one is +12V and which one is ground then I don't need to take it out at all and can wire tap right away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Dashcam/Radar Detector Installations