GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Enform Remote Start Problems and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 12:51 PM
dsw713
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Enform app doesn't work most of the time anyway so why would I renew it and pay that amount of money for something that doesn't work. It has a 2.7* rating on PlayStore download.
The following users liked this post:
MichaelC81 (01-06-20)
Old 07-12-17, 12:57 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I agree that we SHOULD pay to use the Enform App BUT I should be able to use my Remote to start the car (without paying).

Do I have to pay to use my remote to Lock and Unlock the car?
MichaelC81 (01-06-20)
Old 07-12-17, 01:32 PM
PLamarine
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by S2k4
Except remote start is not a feature that requires a subscription based system.
Not true...Lexus has made theirs subscription based through Enform.
Old 07-12-17, 03:35 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

S2K4 is correctly noting that many other systems do not need the safety system subscription to enable the RS.
Old 07-13-17, 04:20 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
S2K4 is correctly noting that many other systems do not need the safety system subscription to enable the RS.
But we are talking about lexus vehicles. My GX has the Factory installed Remote Starter, not a part of the Enform subscription. My 2016 RX had the Enform starter, and I had the Lexus dealer install an aftermarket one. Cost me the same as a year subscription to Enform.
Old 07-13-17, 02:45 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,652 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I might have looked into installing the local remote start but sadly would rarely use it. At home the GX is just a garage queen.
Old 07-14-17, 05:03 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
I might have looked into installing the local remote start but sadly would rarely use it. At home the GX is just a garage queen.
My GX is also a garage queen, but unfortunately it is a detached, unheated garage. Remote start almost a necessity here in the Northeast.
MichaelC81 (01-06-20)
Old 07-18-17, 09:31 PM
S2k4
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PLamarine
But we are talking about lexus vehicles. My GX has the Factory installed Remote Starter, not a part of the Enform subscription. My 2016 RX had the Enform starter, and I had the Lexus dealer install an aftermarket one. Cost me the same as a year subscription to Enform.
I will have to look into an aftermarket one too. The Lexus dealer did not offer one for me when I asked. They are sticking to their subscription based model for remote start.
Old 07-19-17, 03:20 AM
PLamarine
Driver

Originally Posted by S2k4
I will have to look into an aftermarket one too. The Lexus dealer did not offer one for me when I asked. They are sticking to their subscription based model for remote start.
My dealer actually told me that many people were getting the aftermarket one that Lexus offers at my local dealership. Apparently, many people were complaining about the Enform cost just to have remote start.
Old 10-16-17, 07:17 PM
Annue61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

Originally Posted by BradTank
So the dealer I purchased from didn't really explain to me the remote start (and its not a feature I've ever really wanted) but I'm getting different answers about how it works. The answer I'm getting is that remote start comes on all 2017s, but you need to use the Enform app?

But what about the key fob? I followed the instructions, but it's not working. I never have registered with the

I'm not interested in paying for the Lexus App, but is that the only way you can get remote start? Any 3rd party options people recommend?

I went through the search and I'm still getting conflicting answers.

Thanks for the help.
I have a 2016 gs 350 f sport , just hit one year of ownership , I did have the Lexus app complementary app for the first year , Because I did not renew for $240 a year, now my key Fob remote start does not work. I’m not happy that thus is not standard in the car , i went to my dealership and called Lexus , they said maybe if they got enough complaints if may be changed , I’m not happy about losing this feature !
Old 10-17-17, 07:33 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

There are 4 options when it comes to remote start for this truck, the first 3 are OEM Lexus and the last one is aftermarket (which most seem to go with).

The first way.....I installed the RES module the other weekend in my wife's GX. It took about 2 hours to actually install the module under/behind the glovebox (the directions are very descriptive with pics and color coding) but it took way longer to get Techstream to work (about 5 hours) so I could marry the RES module to the car. The downside to the RES module that works off the key fob is the range and the engine shuts off when a door is opened.

Second way....There is a module called RES+ that is similar to the RES module but requires the extra step of installing antennas on the inside of the windshield which are unsightly in my opinion. This will allow you similar functionality to what Enform remote start would (starting, unlocking, checking diagnositcs via smartphone app). From what i understand this subscription is only $65 for the year last I heard but couldve gone up since then.

Third way is through the Enform service. Full app functionality but it has its quirks as people have mentioned. Enform is $360 for the year.

Fourth.... aftermarket remote start (my RES module was a take off from someone who installed a viper). These seem to work the best as far as range and functionality but i dont like the idea of two fobs.
Old 10-25-17, 07:08 PM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F152753777044

this could be a good deal for someone if the bid stays low
Old 10-27-17, 06:45 AM
Greysmoke
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcdmd
My 2014 starts with the fob, not Enform. Two quick presses of the lock button followed by long press of 3+ seconds.
Exactly. If you're in a cold-winter climate, it's a feature worth having.
Old 10-27-17, 02:07 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Black16 has the best overview of the subject but I'm happy to report an update to the
Lexus Enform pricing. Safety Connect / Service Connect was $165/year, is now $80/year.
Remote Start was the SC 165 + 85 = $250/year, the $360/year was for all that plus destination
assist (which I don't think anyone but a Lyft driver would use)

The Good news is that Lexus lowered all the costs to $80/year for SC and $80/year for each
of the optional services Remote and Assist. So the Lexus Enform Remote Start is now $160/year
down from the former $250 and if you need Assistance also it is now $240 rather than $360.

The Remote Engine Start RES and RES+ with phone app was made for the pre-2015 models that
did not come with the Enform system at any price.
Old 10-27-17, 09:00 PM
JMan604
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
So the dealer I purchased from didn't really explain to me the remote start (and its not a feature I've ever really wanted) but I'm getting different answers about how it works. The answer I'm getting is that remote start comes on all 2017s, but you need to use the Enform app?

But what about the key fob? I followed the instructions, but it's not working. I never have registered with the app.

I'm not interested in paying for the Lexus App, but is that the only way you can get remote start? Any 3rd party options people recommend?

I went through the search and I'm still getting conflicting answers.

Thanks for the help.
If you've recently purchased your car, the Enform app should be free for the next year. Might as well use it before you spend to get a remote starter kit

Quick Reply: Enform Remote Start Problems and Questions