GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2017 refresh?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 06:59 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 211 Likes on 145 Posts

There is an article somewhere, I read it. The GX is VERY profitable. They lowered the price in 2014 by $10K and the thing sells like hotcakes. Can't keep them on the shelves. Sold before they get to the dealer's lots. Etc, etc, etc. Why would Lexus discontinue that cash cow?

Summary: They won't.
Old 12-02-15, 09:21 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

GX will not likely get a refresh, but more likely a redesign in the coming years. I would guess MY2018, staggered with the LX by two years. Autonews, the industry standard, thinks there will be a redesign in 2016.

Anybody saying the GX will be discontinued is full of crap, same thing for the folks suggesting GX will go unibody. It doesn't matter who they heard from, unless it was the president of Lexus marketing himself. Dealers don't know anything other than what's on their lot, and that they want to sell you a car today. I want to say there's a thread on here titled "Now that we know the GX will be gone in 2016..." and we now have a 2016 model year GX. Again, nonsense.

The 4Runner is a huge seller, and so is the Prado overseas. Neither is being discontinued. Both are body-on-frame and will be for the foreseeable future. As far as fleet fuel figures go, meeting CAFE standards, etc., Lexus and Toyota sell literally millions of ultra fuel-efficient cars, and the 20,000, 30,000 some odd trucks plus small LX, Landcruiser sales barely affect these numbers.

GX sales have actually increased in recent years, which is the opposite of what most vehicles do in their later years of a generation. Lexus may very well add a three-row unibody crossover to their lineup, add a third row to the RX, etc., but the GX will remain an easy vehicle to produce with very large margins.
Old 12-02-15, 09:24 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Dealers/general managers don't know anything more than customers. Lexus is pretty tight lipped about everything. They're not discontinuing the most profitable vehicle in their lineup. You have to be nuts to think otherwise.
Exactly.

How people take what a dealer has to say as gospel is beyond me.

Salesman doesn't know, sales manager doesn't know, general manager doesn't know, service department manager doesn't know, dealership owner doesn't know, brother-in-law doesn't know. If they knew from a legitimate source what the future product would be, then journalists would also be well aware.
Old 12-02-15, 10:47 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a dealership sales pitch, "You better buy one now before they are all gone, not going to make them anymore", SOLD!
Old 12-02-15, 01:15 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
GX will not likely get a refresh, but more likely a redesign in the coming years. I would guess MY2018, staggered with the LX by two years. Autonews, the industry standard, thinks there will be a redesign in 2016.

Anybody saying the GX will be discontinued is full of crap, same thing for the folks suggesting GX will go unibody. It doesn't matter who they heard from, unless it was the president of Lexus marketing himself. Dealers don't know anything other than what's on their lot, and that they want to sell you a car today. I want to say there's a thread on here titled "Now that we know the GX will be gone in 2016..." and we now have a 2016 model year GX. Again, nonsense.

The 4Runner is a huge seller, and so is the Prado overseas. Neither is being discontinued. Both are body-on-frame and will be for the foreseeable future. As far as fleet fuel figures go, meeting CAFE standards, etc., Lexus and Toyota sell literally millions of ultra fuel-efficient cars, and the 20,000, 30,000 some odd trucks plus small LX, Landcruiser sales barely affect these numbers.

GX sales have actually increased in recent years, which is the opposite of what most vehicles do in their later years of a generation. Lexus may very well add a three-row unibody crossover to their lineup, add a third row to the RX, etc., but the GX will remain an easy vehicle to produce with very large margins.

I will expect MY2018 GX more like what they did as MY2016 LX, you can call it either a redesign or heavy refresh.

SUV is the trend to go in the AUTO industry.
Although GX is truck based, it is also has no direct competitors. In a niche of its own, and there are still truck people out there looking for more refined vehicle.
For 3 row crossover SUV, Lexus has very few problem to roll them out. I guess that they are waiting for the right timing to market new vehicle (TX?) in the aimed position.
Old 12-02-15, 01:28 PM
kvsm5
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of the above have stated, why get rid of a cash cow? The GX is the only mid size V8 powered SUV made in Japan. Its in a class by itself with no competition from Honda/Acura or Nissan/Infiniti. If Toyota wants to discontinue anything, it might as well start with the Scion brand.
Old 12-02-15, 01:58 PM
senjey
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most on this. GX(prado) outside the US is like a necessity. Inside the US, it don't have any competition. Also, the production of GX is way off the charts from a RX or ES for that matter. So there is no need to discontinue the model completely.
Old 12-03-15, 05:29 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

And that is why they won't get rid of it (and also why the barn door back opens from the wrong side). It's incredibly popular outside of the US, where 4WD is actually needed. They're not going to start building it in Canada, requiring them to invest billions of dollars for a new plant. Just keep rolling some left-hand drive trucks off the line for the folks across the pond. Cha-ching!

One thing to keep in mind is that the 2016 GX came out early...with very few (if any) changes. That has typically signaled a redesign coming. They did the same thing with the GS in late 2010 (MY2011). They skipped MY2012 but released the 4GS in February 2012 as MY2013.
Old 12-04-15, 08:34 PM
carferna
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it very hard to believe that Lexus would discontinue the very popular GX line. Lately, I am seeing a lot of folks buying the very appealing redesigned second gen(2014 and above). The new front grill makes it look very sporty. I can see them perhaps discontinuing the LX570 even though the LX may bring in over 90K, but the fact is very few folks can afford it. I think Lexus had delayed the refresh because they want to enjoy the recent boost in sales for the redesigned 2014. I think the 2017 or 2018 refresh will have very little change to the exterior. I think the front will pretty much remain the same except the head lights will change to look like the 2017 LX. Most of the change would be to the interior, the engine and trans.
Old 12-05-15, 07:13 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So
1) The most sales in shear #s is the RX, and NX.
2) The GX and LX are kinda of PITA in terms of duty costs, but with the intro of the NX, RX, and higher priced LX, the GX is a steal for 7 passenger SUV from Lexus. Although the fact of the matter with body on frame vehicles tend to be cheap to produce, but offer a huge margin, the GX being mfged in JP, hits them with a huge tax. So unless someone with insider information regarding profit margins of the GX wants to support this huge cash cow idea, not 100% on any of the above.
3) Discontinuation is frankly impossible, since the 7 seater game would be up for grabs. More then likely one of two things (if not both) is bound to occur

1) Lexus finally offers the RX in a stretch version (TX)
2) Lexus sells the GX for the rest of its intended MY with no touches, and then replaces with a CUV.

A CUV based GX would fit perfectly as the target demographic for that class doesnt really need the advantages its BOF construction offers.
Old 12-05-15, 07:33 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2017 Refresh

Your logic is confusing. The people who buy the GX are those who want a BOF, and something that is a luxury version of the 4RUNNER with more power. A CUV in a GX will most likely result in a drop in sales.
Old 12-05-15, 09:22 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Valley101
Your logic is confusing. The people who buy the GX are those who want a BOF, and something that is a luxury version of the 4RUNNER with more power. A CUV in a GX will most likely result in a drop in sales.
Where did ya loose ya?
1) the majority of GXs end up in Nordstrom parking lots, where a bof has zero advantage

2) cuv will be easier to maneuver, offer increased interior volume, refined experience etc

3) the only reason u need a BOF is road presence, towing, and the 2nd or 3rd owner to outfit it with a winch, m&s rated tires and goo on ih8mud. (Which I love btw, showcases the dual nature of the GX)

4) dealers and consumers alike are beggin for a 7 seater cuv. Heck they wanted that over the rc a year ago. Just like the naysayers of the NX, a CUV based future GX will offer soo much in $$$. Pretty sure they'll have a golden trifecta of the majority of the luxury 5-7 sweater SUV market
Old 12-06-15, 07:06 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ofits-pile-up/
Old 12-07-15, 08:23 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

There is no "huge tax" on Japanese-built GX. It is a passenger vehicle, and chicken tax does not apply. The remaining 2.5% tariffs etc may be going away under the trans pacific partnership.

There is likely at least $10,000 per truck of profit for Lexus on each GX. With 2014 sales, that could be upwards of $200,000,000, which is huge even for a multibillion dollar company like Lexus & Toyota.

4runner, Prado, GX all could very well vanish in favor of unibody, but people love them, they're cheap to build, and they sell a ton.
Old 12-08-15, 02:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
There is no "huge tax" on Japanese-built GX. It is a passenger vehicle, and chicken tax does not apply. The remaining 2.5% tariffs etc may be going away under the trans pacific partnership.

There is likely at least $10,000 per truck of profit for Lexus on each GX. With 2014 sales, that could be upwards of $200,000,000, which is huge even for a multibillion dollar company like Lexus & Toyota.

4runner, Prado, GX all could very well vanish in favor of unibody, but people love them, they're cheap to build, and they sell a ton.
More like half of your figure, but still plenty. The issue with the next generation GX is the unibody 7 seater thats going to be based on the RX.

On one hand, the GX is cheap to make, and would ease the development costs of the Prado/4Runner Platform. On the other hand a RX platform costs would go even lower with a stretched RX, and with the right creature comforts a popular option.

However unless the GX moves up in price, it makes no sense.

35-45 NX
45-60 RX
So either the GX goes up to 60-70 (which we know very few models moves when a GX is this expensive) or you put in the stretched RX which takes over the 55-70 range, and then add the GX
80-100 LX

Quick Reply: 2017 refresh?