GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Brake fluid bleeding or flushing

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 02:41 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Good info. I have one of those Motive bleeders too. I just bought last month to do my G35x..... I may need to pickup a new master cylinder adapter to get it to work with the GX.

I added link to this on the Wiki.

Also another option with vacuum

Last edited by Acrad; 10-09-21 at 02:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
binhster (11-16-18), ronsatour5 (10-02-23)
Old 11-14-18, 07:20 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

I like the Harbor Freight brake bleeder than you hook up to an air compressor. I use it to clear the reservoir first, then bleed all four corners. A great, cost effective option provided you have an air compressor.
The following users liked this post:
ronsatour5 (10-02-23)
Old 11-15-18, 07:34 AM
binhster
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
did you bleed in a particular order? like passenger rear first (typically, bleeding from the farthest caliper from the brake master cylinder goes first). Your fluid looks clean, were you doing basic maintenance or troubleshooting something?
Actually, I just started with the Passenger Front, but that was only because I knew the front calipers could be bled the traditional method. I was also trying to purge out the dirty fluid at the bottom of my reservoir that had just been topped off and mixed with fresh fluid. Once I was sure all the old fluid was gone, I moved onto the Passenger Rear, Driver Rear, and Driver Front in that order. After completing each wheel, I removed the pressure bleeder and topped off the reservoir with fresh fluid just over the Max line. Then I attached the pressure bleeder and pumped to 10psi. Following this, I would cracked the respective bleeder open 1/4 turn with silicone hose attached and let the fluid run out until the reservoir hit the Min line before re-tightening the bleeder screw.

Note: I do not have any brake fluid in my pressure bleeder. That method is too messy for my preference.

When I started the vehicle up after bleeding, the pedal did sink close to the floor on the first press only before going back to normal. I have a feeling the pressure bleeder method does not purge the old fluid remaining in the ABS pump which will probably happen automatically next time I engage ABS. This was the case in my previous Acura TL at least.

I didn't know there was a Wiki for the GX. Thanks for the heads up. I also own an eBay TechStream. Had I known there were instructions written for the Techstream Bleed Method, I probably would have tried that instead as it appears you don't even have to open any bleeders on the front calipers? Or is this just a method for purging air out of system?

Last edited by binhster; 11-16-18 at 07:48 AM.
ltsr (11-15-18)
Old 11-15-18, 12:43 PM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

What adapter did you use? Did you make it yourself or got a specific one. I have Motive brake bleeder an MB and a generic adapter, not sure if those work or not. A brake flush is getting due on our GX too.
Old 11-16-18, 06:28 AM
binhster
Rookie

Originally Posted by NewB2Lexus
What adapter did you use? Did you make it yourself or got a specific one. I have Motive brake bleeder an MB and a generic adapter, not sure if those work or not. A brake flush is getting due on our GX too.
Mine was made years ago out of a PVC Cap tapped in the middle with a brass air nozzle fitting. Then I used a rubber pipe coupler with some metal hose clamps to secure each end. One clamp on the PVC fitting and the other to the reservoir.

Last edited by binhster; 11-17-18 at 12:09 PM.
NewB2Lexus (11-16-18)
Old 11-16-18, 02:33 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Wow... I used the Motive on another vehicle yesterday.. my '07 G35x with around 96K miles that I bought new. Never changed... fluid was a little discolored but didn't see anything major. Regardless it was needed a long time ago and this Motive product totally rocks. It is so easy to use. I did put fluid in Motive container and will need to clean up with denatured alcohol but this is an easy service item for anyone. I'm gonna pick up the appropriate adapters for my other cars. Adapter fit perfectly on my G like it was a stock cap.
Old 11-17-18, 06:38 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

binhster: I notice you had to take part of the trim off behind the master cylinder to get the adapter on there.

Motive says the following about Toyota/Lexus:

"Toyota and Lexus- The majority of Toyotas and Lexus models use a reservoir cap that is a push to seal cap. It doesn't screw on or twist to lock. Some Toyotas and Lexus use a cap that has two locking tabs that engage inside the reservoir neck. Both of these types of caps will need to use the Universal Round kit 0101 with adapter 1101 or the metal version the 0119 which comes with the 1119 adapter. Note - if the reservoir is under the cowl the 1101 or 1119 will not work. Also some Toyota and Lexus use an integrated master cylinder abs unit where the ABS unit is either directly below the master cylinder or attached to the side. We do not have a kit that works with those vehicles."
Old 11-17-18, 12:18 PM
binhster
Rookie

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
binhster: I notice you had to take part of the trim off behind the master cylinder to get the adapter on there.

Motive says the following about Toyota/Lexus:

"Toyota and Lexus- The majority of Toyotas and Lexus models use a reservoir cap that is a push to seal cap. It doesn't screw on or twist to lock. Some Toyotas and Lexus use a cap that has two locking tabs that engage inside the reservoir neck. Both of these types of caps will need to use the Universal Round kit 0101 with adapter 1101 or the metal version the 0119 which comes with the 1119 adapter. Note - if the reservoir is under the cowl the 1101 or 1119 will not work. Also some Toyota and Lexus use an integrated master cylinder abs unit where the ABS unit is either directly below the master cylinder or attached to the side. We do not have a kit that works with those vehicles."
There was plastic shroud surrounding the master cylinder that has 4 push clips fastening it on that I removed to get more access to the reservoir.
Regarding the proper adapter, I just removed my original post about recommending the Power Probe BA10 as that one appears to only secure to the Toyota reservoirs with the push to seal cap. The GX 460 cap is threaded. Sorry for my misguided information.
Acrad (11-17-18)
Old 11-05-19, 08:34 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GX460 - 30k Mile Brake Fluid Changes

Hi everyone,
Lexus is recommending changing the brake fluid every 30k miles on the GX and I'm sure they're recommending this on other Lexus / Toyota vehicles now too. Mine is a 2015 with about 35,000 miles that I bought new. I've owned a dozen or so Lexus vehicles over the years and this is the first time / vehicle that I remember them wanting to performing this service on. Unless there has been contamination of the system, this service seems crazy to me. I think the service consultant said the service was around $300. I asked him if the fluid was 100% replaced, including the contents in the ABS system and he said no, they bleed the system through the calipers and refill the reservoir. I declined the service and I was a bit ticked off..It seems to me that this is just another way to make more money off of us. What is your opinion on this?

I know there have been complaints filed with the NHTSA concerning brake failures on the GX. Does anyone know if the problems reported are responsible for them recommending this service now? Could be a way to cover their *ss...

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-05-19, 08:40 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Brake fluid is the most overlooked maintenance item for all vehicles. That being said, I'm ok with a 2-3 year replacement interval. Considering what is involved, this service should be no more than $150.

Reminds me, I need to get my GX done...
Old 11-05-19, 08:58 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Brake fluid is the most overlooked maintenance item for all vehicles. That being said, I'm ok with a 2-3 year replacement interval. Considering what is involved, this service should be no more than $150.
Reminds me, I need to get my GX done...
Get a motive brake bleeder and do it yourself. takes an hour max in your garage or driveway.

The most difficult part of doing this service DIY is not getting brake fluid on any part of the vehicle... I haven't done it yet on our GX, but I plan to ... used it on our 4Runners and worked great, easy day.
Old 11-05-19, 09:14 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

My 2015 is at 50xxx miles and still on the original fluid. Brake still sucks, same as when it was NEW.

I'll do pads, rotors, and fluids all together when it's time to change.
Old 11-05-19, 09:50 AM
hoverta
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brake fluid is hygroscopic. And most brake systems are not truly 100% closed to atmosphere. So it does pick up some water with time. Used to have a Mercedes GLK and they recommended brake fluid change every 2 years which I did. I always wondered why Toyota/Lexus never recommended brake fluid changes. I would do it every 2-3 years if you can as a preventative. Shouldn't be too much $$. Mercedes dealer used to charge $129 for the service IIRC.
Old 11-05-19, 12:06 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
My 2015 is at 50xxx miles and still on the original fluid. Brake still sucks, same as when it was NEW.

I'll do pads, rotors, and fluids all together when it's time to change.

you referring to the sponginess/initial bite?

really didnt like that when I went for a test drive.
Old 11-05-19, 12:16 PM
cb1111
Lead Lap

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by hoverta
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. And most brake systems are not truly 100% closed to atmosphere. So it does pick up some water with time. Used to have a Mercedes GLK and they recommended brake fluid change every 2 years which I did. I always wondered why Toyota/Lexus never recommended brake fluid changes. I would do it every 2-3 years if you can as a preventative. Shouldn't be too much $$. Mercedes dealer used to charge $129 for the service IIRC.
Bingo. Most manufacturers require brake fluid services every 2 years (some manufacturers require the first service at 3 years and every 2 years thereafter.) and, like you said, brake fluid attracts moisture. You won't "notice" a problem until you have an expensive failure.
nuclearn8 (11-05-19)

Quick Reply: Brake fluid bleeding or flushing