0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-22, 04:42 PM
smacd70
5th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2011 GX460 Base... 2.5"+ lift and Radar Renegade AT Pro tires on 18x9.5 wheels.

I have a few shots of my finished 2011 GX460 with a 2.5" front Bilstein 6112 lift and Billstein 5160 shocks with Icon Progressive coils for a 2.75" rear lift (Thanks to Rogue-Offroad .com for helping me get the right suspension parts). I installed new Upper Control Arms (from Amazon for $268.60) as well to help the alignment shops get things right. I might need another .5" on the driver's side front and 1" on the passenger's front to level it up, but it is looking good for now.

I swapped out the used (read "dry and stiff") Terra Grapplers that came with these 18x9" MB wheels (maybe "Vortex" model, purchased on FB Marketplace for $375 w/tires) for a new set of Radar Renegade AT Pro 285/60r18's. I mounted the tires "Rattlesnake Head" side out, and I installed "spike" lug nuts, both at my 4 1/2 year old's request, and have to say, the results are MUCH better than expected! This thing drives SOOO much better than the worn stock suspension running Michelin LTX 265/60r18's on OEM wheels. It stops level without nose-dive, it handles the rough pavement better, and body roll and dive are so much better controlled over undulations in the pavement.

Off-road performance is INCREDIBLE! Increased approach and departure angles are amazing, and the varied terrain of both hard-packed and sandy trails are smoothed out so much better than expected. I haven't done any rock-crawling yet, but since I don't have "Crawl" mode on my Base modle, my results won't be as good as others!

Gas mileage is 14-15 mpg city and 17-18 mpg on the hwy. I got 19 mpg on a 50-mile stretch of relatively flat 60 mph hwy out here in West Texas.
Attached Thumbnails Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread-2011-lexus-gx460-lifted-front-drivers-view.jpg   Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread-2011-lexus-gx460-lifted-with-new-wheels-and-tires.jpg   Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread-2011-lexus-lifted-2.jpg   Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread-2011-lexus-gx460-radar-tires-and-bilstein-5160.jpg  

Last edited by smacd70; 08-23-22 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Add plug for my parts supplier
The following 5 users liked this post by smacd70:
ellocovg (08-22-22), GXHutto (08-31-22), nyctfl (07-23-23), Piney1 (08-25-22), reypac24 (09-07-22)
Old 08-22-22, 05:43 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Received 204 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by woodleathr
Funny you mention that. I was shopping the LS hard before the GX, but by the time you put the cool features in it you're looking at a $98,000 vehicle at which point i'd be paying so much additional out of pocket WITH the lease stipend that I may as well just go lease a vehicle from a brand i actually wanted lol.

I hear you though about the tire selection. i've lived in winter climates most of my life so understand the importance of snow tires. would likely keep the stock 19" wheels and throw proper winter tires on those November - March, and ride out the Vossen wheel setup April - October. Literally can not wait for the GX550.
Idk if the 550 will be as drastically different. Obviously the gps will be way better, I do love the new door handles that they are using. They will throw in the smaller hybrid V8 replacement but besides that I expect it to be almost the same dimensions, and to feel very familiar. When they have a proven formula like the Prado they don’t like to mess with it too much. Here in the US it’s a niche vehicle but globally the Prado is a statement vehicle. Think of it as how Jeep people love jeeps but they are allot wealthier and drive Prado’s.

When my previous lease was up in 2018 there were four cars that I liked/considered. The RX, GX, 4Runner, Tundra. The tundra was to big for my garage and Northern NJ driving in general. The RX blew the other two out of the water technology wise so I leased the RX and I did love the look of it but it was always felt to low to the ground for me. And to boot it seemed like every other one on the road was driven by a lady or a grandpa. I was shopping for Vossen black 20’s before I realized that it would still be a girly wagon with cool wheels and tints lol.

Fast forward to now and I have the GX that I should of gotten all along. It’s such a better driving/feeling vehicle. Even though it’s a soccer mom favorite it still feels allot more masculine. My dream car on paper was always a LC until I drove one at a Lexus event and realized that in my late 30’s my knees do not appreciate feeling like I’m sitting on the ground and I no longer care about 0-60 speeds.

Last edited by ellocovg; 08-22-22 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (08-25-22)
Old 08-23-22, 07:08 AM
woodleathr
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ellocovg
Idk if the 550 will be as drastically different. Obviously the gps will be way better, I do love the new door handles that they are using. They will throw in the smaller hybrid V8 replacement but besides that I expect it to be almost the same dimensions, and to feel very familiar. When they have a proven formula like the Prado they don’t like to mess with it too much. Here in the US it’s a niche vehicle but globally the Prado is a statement vehicle. Think of it as how Jeep people love jeeps but they are allot wealthier and drive Prado’s.

When my previous lease was up in 2018 there were four cars that I liked/considered. The RX, GX, 4Runner, Tundra. The tundra was to big for my garage and Northern NJ driving in general. The RX blew the other two out of the water technology wise so I leased the RX and I did love the look of it but it was always felt to low to the ground for me. And to boot it seemed like every other one on the road was driven by a lady or a grandpa. I was shopping for Vossen black 20’s before I realized that it would still be a girly wagon with cool wheels and tints lol.

Fast forward to now and I have the GX that I should of gotten all along. It’s such a better driving/feeling vehicle. Even though it’s a soccer mom favorite it still feels allot more masculine. My dream car on paper was always a LC until I drove one at a Lexus event and realized that in my late 30’s my knees do not appreciate feeling like I’m sitting on the ground and I no longer care about 0-60 speeds.
Too much real life in this post. I think the TLDR of it is that the RX is the model to get to circumvent all of the things people hate about the GX. That just means you have to swallow your pride and be comfortable seeing no less than 10 a day driven by younger girls, or old people. As much as i hate to admit, it's a nearly perfect vehicle for its purpose and we can't really blame lexus for building a vehicle that captures 70% of peoples' needs. Hell, my gf had me half way sold on the 2022 RX with the Fsport package when we were checking them out at the dealership since the styling is a bit bolder. Just can't do that to my soul lol.

The GX is also a soccer mom favorite but there are far less of them on the road, and you won't look like a complete clown if you try to put personal touches on it. I don't think the GX550 will change drastically stylistically, but there are a few styling cues that make a 460 a horrible "new car buy" post 2020.

- The bulbous (dated) rear half exterior design.
- The "luxury" trim really just being a wood steering wheel and gadgets package.
- Very few actual luxury options. (No panoramic roof, no diamond stitch leather seats, no massaging seats, zero ambient lighting)
- Then you tack on the mpg and it's just... lackluster.

I get it, 90% of GX enthusiast don't care about this stuff but they're also usually buying them 3 years old with low mileage to own them for 20+ years. But if we put ourselves in the minds of an actual 2023 0miles new car buyer, it's kind of a joke in its current offering. If I didn't work for Toyota, there is absolutely no way in hell I would even consider this for a "new car" buy, used is a completely different story. I'm just baffled that this vehicle gets "out-luxuried" by freakin Jeeps these days (Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve)

Last edited by woodleathr; 08-23-22 at 07:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by woodleathr:
2eXceL (05-25-24), Peacebay (08-23-22)
Old 08-23-22, 12:54 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 254 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the TLDR of it is that the RX is the model to get to circumvent all of the things people hate about the GX. That just means you have to swallow your pride and be comfortable seeing no less than 10 a day driven by younger girls, or old people.

The GX is also a soccer mom favorite but there are far less of them on the road, and you won't look like a complete clown if you try to put personal touches on it. I don't think the GX550 will change drastically stylistically, but there are a few styling cues that make a 460 a horrible "new car buy" post 2020.
This is so true, although after having an RX350L as a loaner for two weeks while they did the cam tower seal on my 2019, I gotta say the V8 is leaps and bounds better than the v6 in the RX, despite having similar power on paper. That alone makes the GX feel a lot more premium.

Would I buy a GX new in 23 for $70k? No. But it’s still a hell of a great buy for a used one with 20k miles and a factory warranty for $40k (which is what you’re saying here anyway)
Old 08-24-22, 06:10 PM
ellocovg
Advanced

Too much real life in this post. I think the TLDR of it is that the RX is the model to get to circumvent all of the things people hate about the GX. That just means you have to swallow your pride and be comfortable seeing no less than 10 a day driven by younger girls, or old people. As much as i hate to admit, it's a nearly perfect vehicle for its purpose and we can't really blame lexus for building a vehicle that captures 70% of peoples' needs. Hell, my gf had me half way sold on the 2022 RX with the Fsport package when we were checking them out at the dealership since the styling is a bit bolder. Just can't do that to my soul lol.

- The bulbous (dated) rear half exterior design.
- The "luxury" trim really just being a wood steering wheel and gadgets package.
- Very few actual luxury options. (No panoramic roof, no diamond stitch leather seats, no massaging seats, zero ambient lighting)
- Then you tack on the mpg and it's just... lackluster.

I get it, 90% of GX enthusiast don't care about this stuff but they're also usually buying them 3 years old with low mileage to own them for 20+ years. But if we put ourselves in the minds of an actual 2023 0miles new car buyer, it's kind of a joke in its current offering. If I didn't work for Toyota, there is absolutely no way in hell I would even consider this for a "new car" buy, used is a completely different story. I'm just baffled that this vehicle gets "out-luxuried" by freakin Jeeps these days (Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve)
I did some work at the Toyota/Lexus HQ in Jersey a few years back it was awesome to see the pre production cars in the back lot.

Toyota never rushes into anything they take there sweet time and test the hell out of it before it’s production ready. The Germans are in a race to put out all the gizmos as soon as there invented with no need to test it first. That’s why all the cool gizmos break every two days.

The GX/LX are in a weird spot because they are really good global cars that they just happen to pretty up a bit and sell in the US. Overseas 95% of the people need there LC and Prados to be bullet proof and could care less about a really big sunroof, massaging seats, really big gauges. In the US we demand that stuff especially at that price point but it seems Toyota says here take this LC that’s 90% done and you can Lexify the last ten pct of it.

I flirted with the idea of a off lease Cayenne but I couldn’t get over the horror stories and stuck with the car that is dated but will never break. It’s awesome as someone that likes to tinker with there car that there’s 12 years worth of how to’s and mods online that you can “borrow”.
The following 4 users liked this post by ellocovg:
2eXceL (05-25-24), Acrad (08-31-22), SteveInCal (08-25-22), TrubruGX (09-17-22)
Old 08-31-22, 12:47 PM
GXHutto
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a great thread and many people see it. It is just a lot of work to search, or read through the replies until people reference it. Can you lobby to put it up as a sticky or something? It should be gospel to us newbies who like to look at pictures and hear stories. Great job!
The following users liked this post:
Piney1 (08-31-22)
Old 09-01-22, 03:32 AM
ellocovg
Advanced

Originally Posted by GXHutto
It's a great thread and many people see it. It is just a lot of work to search, or read through the replies until people reference it. Can you lobby to put it up as a sticky or something? It should be gospel to us newbies who like to look at pictures and hear stories. Great job!
This thread is a sticky and along with the “what did you do to your gx” thread the two most popular ones which I basically read daily to figure out what I’m spending my money on next!
Old 09-08-22, 10:39 AM
butkusrule
9th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Buying New wheelset, Am I missing anything?

I have a 22 GX in black and I wanted to get a new snow/offroad wheelset. Ive settleed in black TRD wheels and Wildpeak AT3w tires....The NON-LT version.
Trying to get this look from "wiscoGX" on another forum.

This what I have ready to purchase:

1. Wheel Cap
    $70.95
    Part # PT280-89210-F2
    3x $23.65
  2. PTR56-89210-F2 Toyota TRD Pro 17" 6 Spoke Flat Black Wheel OEM
    $931.90
    Part # PTR56-89210-F2
    5x $186.38
  3. Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor
    $321.35
    Part # 42607-53020
    5x $64.27
  4. Tire Pressure Monitoring System Sensor Nut
    $6.67
    Part # 04423-33060
and

Falken WildPeak A/T3W - 265/70R17 115T Tire

Item 980073235 Qty 5 $1,094.95

Im going to buy the parts online then buy the tires and installation package from the local SAMS club.
Is this all I need? Am I missing something? Prices competitive?

Thanks
Old 09-12-22, 06:34 AM
RidewCW
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Caved in and ordered some wheels coming in at 17x8.5 (will post pics upon arrival).
My buddy has a pair of new Mickey's he's not using @285/70 R17 and offered me a decent deal.

Can I run these or will I have to look elsewhere?

Old 09-13-22, 12:53 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RidewCW
Caved in and ordered some wheels coming in at 17x8.5 (will post pics upon arrival).
My buddy has a pair of new Mickey's he's not using @285/70 R17 and offered me a decent deal.
I am running 285/70/17 KO2s. they're probably a little less aggressive than those. I get a very very slight rub on tight right turns when tucking
you wouldn't be able to run on stock height though, I'm assuming you have a lift?
Old 09-13-22, 02:04 PM
RidewCW
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leftyguns
I am running 285/70/17 KO2s. they're probably a little less aggressive than those. I get a very very slight rub on tight right turns when tucking
you wouldn't be able to run on stock height though, I'm assuming you have a lift?

Lift is in the plans but I wanted to run these in the interim. Heard conflicting reports; some say you can sans-lift, others say you can't. I mean, I figured I'd have to do some work with the heat gun and the notorious bolt, might even go so far as do remove the running boards and do a bumper cut (been planning to do this anyways)... But really was hoping I could make 'em fit.
Old 09-13-22, 03:32 PM
jdam
Driver

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

You can run them without lift, but you have to make the mods that you would have had to anyway to make them fit with a lift. Remember that an IFS vehicle still has to cycle through the full range of movement, so if you're tucking tire, it'll still hit all the stuff in the way. With or without a lift.
Old 09-17-22, 08:27 PM
DCanady69
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How is the ride.. Did it suffer much from the larger wheels
Old 09-21-22, 02:25 PM
206Sniper
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

New GX owner here guys. Im interested in getting the Rays 57 Trans-x for my ride. I dont really have any experience with aftermarket wheels so Im wondering if this wheel will work for my 22' GX? Will I need hub centric rings? What about the tpms sensors? Any help much appreciated!
Old 09-21-22, 02:53 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 206Sniper
New GX owner here guys. Im interested in getting the Rays 57 Trans-x for my ride. I dont really have any experience with aftermarket wheels so Im wondering if this wheel will work for my 22' GX? Will I need hub centric rings? What about the tpms sensors? Any help much appreciated!
Yeah, they should work but you will need hub centric rings (GX hub is 106.1), lug nits, TPMS sensors can be transferred over from your OEM wheels or you can buy a new set. Picking the tire size will determine if you'll need any trimming done...also, don't forget about your spare if you change tire size/specs.

Quick Reply: Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread