0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 09:50 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 591 Likes on 358 Posts

Buy the stock size in an A/T tire and you will not have any issues.
The extra 1/2" gained in ground clearance by going up 1 size sidewall hardly seems worth the hassle in my eyes.
Plus if you upsize and trade in your vehicle with upsize tires on it, the dealer should not sell it CPO because they will know the odometer is not correct (part of the checklist) and part of the CPO checklist to resell it as such states the vehicle has the stock size wheels and tires. Again if you are keeping your vehicle forever, perhaps this isn't a concern... I know a lot of guys who put on larger tires during their ownership and then switch back to the stock size because it keeps their mileage lower (increasing resale value slightly in some cases)...
Old 07-17-20, 10:23 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,027 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Buy the stock size in an A/T tire and you will not have any issues.
The extra 1/2" gained in ground clearance by going up 1 size sidewall hardly seems worth the hassle in my eyes.
Plus if you upsize and trade in your vehicle with upsize tires on it, the dealer should not sell it CPO because they will know the odometer is not correct (part of the checklist) and part of the CPO checklist to resell it as such states the vehicle has the stock size wheels and tires. Again if you are keeping your vehicle forever, perhaps this isn't a concern... I know a lot of guys who put on larger tires during their ownership and then switch back to the stock size because it keeps their mileage lower (increasing resale value slightly in some cases)...
IMHO the GX460 with 265/60-18 tires looks like a Soccer Mom Mini Van ... way too much gap in the wheel wells ... tires look lost in all that open space. The 265/65-18 transforms the look to that of an off-road vehicle even with a non-agressive tread pattern. Also, CPO requires at least 50% tread for resale ... so the tires are many times replaced anyway. Also, not all trade-ins are flipped as a CPO ... and the trade-in value has nothing to do with what happens when they flip the vehicle as a standard sale or as a CPO sale. CPO is simply applied so they can mark-up the price on resale on vehicles they deem as a low risk for any claims against the extended warranty that the CPO provides.

Last edited by ASE; 07-17-20 at 10:32 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ASE:
MarkVII (07-17-20), nuclearn8 (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 10:42 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Agree 100% with what you're saying... my point was the dealer has a CPO checklist for a reason in order to sell a vehicle as CPO. IF they followed it (I highly doubt most actually do), they shouldn't sell a vehicle as CPO that has ever had larger than stock tire size on it.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf

I went thru this with a Toyota dealer years ago when we bought a used 4Runner CPO from a dealer and they caved because I threatened legal action against the dealer for pen whipping the CPO inspection paperwork and selling us a CPO vehicle with fraudulent odometer mileage and non-oem size tires.
Had they changed the tires back to stock size (they were the dealer that installed the oversize tires in the vehicle history I later found out), I would have never known the odometer was fraudulent. (they signed it as accurate during the sales transaction and transfer of the vehicle)
This was also a problem because in this case the vehicle we bought was right up against the CPO mileage and year limits... so it was a really a comedy of errors on the dealers part...
I'm pretty sure the service and used car sales manager got fired over my transaction. That wasn't my intent however **** happens when you don't do your job properly.

Old 07-17-20, 11:43 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nuclearn8
Agree 100% with what you're saying... my point was the dealer has a CPO checklist for a reason in order to sell a vehicle as CPO. IF they followed it (I highly doubt most actually do), they shouldn't sell a vehicle as CPO that has ever had larger than stock tire size on it.

https://www.lexus.com/documents/broc...t-brochure.pdf

I went thru this with a Toyota dealer years ago when we bought a used 4Runner CPO from a dealer and they caved because I threatened legal action against the dealer for pen whipping the CPO inspection paperwork and selling us a CPO vehicle with fraudulent odometer mileage and non-oem size tires.
Had they changed the tires back to stock size (they were the dealer that installed the oversize tires in the vehicle history I later found out), I would have never known the odometer was fraudulent. (they signed it as accurate during the sales transaction and transfer of the vehicle)
This was also a problem because in this case the vehicle we bought was right up against the CPO mileage and year limits... so it was a really a comedy of errors on the dealers part...
I'm pretty sure the service and used car sales manager got fired over my transaction. That wasn't my intent however **** happens when you don't do your job properly.
Agree ... the majority of buyers have no clue about tire size / speedometer accuracy. For me, I like the look of the taller tires ... and the 3.6% difference in circumference / odometer bonus
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (07-17-20)
Old 07-17-20, 01:47 PM
Deus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So will 265 65 18 in an All Terrain tire really make a visual difference? Just want to make sure before dropping 1k+ on tires.

Thanks

Old 07-17-20, 01:58 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The visual difference is not a lot but it's some.

I chose the Wildpeaks and have no regrets. Great AT tire and nice ride on the street.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-17-20 at 02:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lavrishevo:
MarkVII (07-17-20), SCOFF82 (01-08-24)
Old 07-17-20, 02:02 PM
Deus
Driver School Candidate

Think I am going with BF Goodrich T/A KO2's
Old 07-17-20, 03:59 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

The question that I have is does anyone have A/T tires in factory 265/60/18 and what does this look like compared to factory non-A/T tires. I'm with nuclearn8 on this, I'm not sure if the extra tire is that big of a deal. The issue is that reports on which 265/65/18 tires will fit in the spare location is conflicting as not all tires this size have the same overall size.
Old 07-17-20, 04:01 PM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The visual difference is not a lot but it's some.

I chose the Wildpeaks and have no regrets. Great AT tire and nice ride on the street.
Are those 265/65/18's?? If so, do you have a 5th in the spare location? Do you have the factory tow hitch?
Old 07-17-20, 05:09 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

I'll be able to show what stock size AT tires look like in about a year, the factory rubber is about done. Given how little we drive latelg due to Covid (500 miles in 6 months) the existing should last another year, unfortunately, cause I'm looking forward to some AT tires.
Old 07-17-20, 05:34 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chasin
Are those 265/65/18's?? If so, do you have a 5th in the spare location? Do you have the factory tow hitch?
They are 65's, I have an aftermarket tow hitch but the design is nearly identical to OEM. I believe 65's will fit 70's will not fit. There is a thread on this. I did not do my spare at this time. At some point I will but I have not been doing rocky terrain. Here in NJ it's all about mud pits, unfortunately. I'm not too worried about loosing a tire right now and she is not my daily.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-17-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-17-20, 05:40 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chasin
The question that I have is does anyone have A/T tires in factory 265/60/18 and what does this look like compared to factory non-A/T tires. I'm with nuclearn8 on this, I'm not sure if the extra tire is that big of a deal. The issue is that reports on which 265/65/18 tires will fit in the spare location is conflicting as not all tires this size have the same overall size.
It's not a big deal but it does look more rugged to fill in the wheel-well and you do get slightly more cushion on rough road. For example, my SC430 came with 245/40/18 run-flats; by going with 245/45/18 non run flat all weather the comfort improved tremendously. Our situation is a little different but the same principles apply.
Old 07-20-20, 01:03 PM
jackn123
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

@mattds Do you have any pics of these tires on the GX? I do not have the lift on mine. We have the luxury with air suspension, but I have not done the trick yet or anything to the front. I was hoping to pick up the same set, or perhaps just the 265/65/18. It's my wife's daily driver and she doesn't want the aggressive KO2 or gnarly sidewalls on some of the other AT tires. These seem like a good compromise to pick up some offroad performance without looking overly aggressive. Have you taken it off road yet? How do they do vs your Latitudes?
Old 07-20-20, 01:07 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tonyjh63
What tire pressure does everyone run on their trucks? I know the door jam says 32 psi...
i just bought a new set of tires (Michelin Defender LTX M/S, 265/60/18), and felt a noticeable improvement in the ride and handling (it had some fairly worn Goodyear Wranglers on before). What surprised me is that when I checked the pressure in the tires, the shop had set them all to 40 psi (sidewall reads a maximum of 44 psi). I can imagine the truck would ride even smoother if I dropped the pressure down to the Lexus recommended 32 psi...
Anyone else run their tires above the recommended pressure?
Run same tires ... at 36psi for improved steering response ... 32psi makes the handling way too vague for my taste.
Old 07-27-20, 06:27 AM
mattds
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jackn123
@mattds Do you have any pics of these tires on the GX? I do not have the lift on mine. We have the luxury with air suspension, but I have not done the trick yet or anything to the front. I was hoping to pick up the same set, or perhaps just the 265/65/18. It's my wife's daily driver and she doesn't want the aggressive KO2 or gnarly sidewalls on some of the other AT tires. These seem like a good compromise to pick up some offroad performance without looking overly aggressive. Have you taken it off road yet? How do they do vs your Latitudes?
hey they do very very well off road. I've taken them on 3 trips on trails that were hard and no issues. I sir them down to 20 psi and have not had any traction limited issues. As for looks...well they look tame unfortunately. But performance is flawless.
The following users liked this post:
jackn123 (07-27-20)

Quick Reply: Official GX Tire/Wheel Thread