GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2013 conversions to 2014+

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 11:38 AM
GXWestMI
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Piney1 - what supplier did you go with? You mentioned good support, I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a 2010>2020 kit for my 2012 premium. Thanks!
Old 11-07-23, 12:26 PM
GXChamp
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GXWestMI
Piney1 - what supplier did you go with? You mentioned good support, I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a 2010>2020 kit for my 2012 premium. Thanks!
I used Changzhou Carhei Auto Technology Co., Ltd., my Contact was Alisa Xiang.
The process was very engaging throughout.
I had a great experience.
I had the bumpers painted for 1K and installed it myself.
I had an electrician installed the headlights for $350.
Hope this helps

Last edited by GXChamp; 11-07-23 at 12:56 PM. Reason: additional information
The following 2 users liked this post by GXChamp:
GXWestMI (11-08-23), Piney1 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 02:40 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Received 293 Likes on 176 Posts

I ordered from these folks. Support was very good, instructions were straight up telepathic so be handy or do what GXChamp did. My 13 does not have the distance control crud on it, wife’s 17 does. The 17 still has issues with warnings about the radar thing needing to be cleaned. I need to calibrate that but have been distracted by squirrels much to do it. I would not recommend putting the sport fairing on, the fit is nearly impossible and it won’t look OEM. The rest looks great.

Shipping was as quick as expected, not fast but faster than swimming over and getting it. I’m actually going to sell my 13 real soon. Love it but also moved and live in an area were a Jeep Wrangler blends in better so I bought one of those.
The following users liked this post:
nsowanna (06-23-24)
Old 11-08-23, 01:28 PM
GXWestMI
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Piney1

I ordered from these folks. Support was very good, instructions were straight up telepathic so be handy or do what GXChamp did. My 13 does not have the distance control crud on it, wife’s 17 does. The 17 still has issues with warnings about the radar thing needing to be cleaned. I need to calibrate that but have been distracted by squirrels much to do it. I would not recommend putting the sport fairing on, the fit is nearly impossible and it won’t look OEM. The rest looks great.

Shipping was as quick as expected, not fast but faster than swimming over and getting it. I’m actually going to sell my 13 real soon. Love it but also moved and live in an area were a Jeep Wrangler blends in better so I bought one of those.
Contact at the local dealership said he converted his "12 with "14 oem bumper cover/ grille/fog/headlights/inner fenders, etc- he said he only had to get the "plastic" left and right bumper bracket mounts (5211560190, 5211660230), and the rest fit. And he gave me a heads up on the headlight splicing headache.

Where there other mounts needed? It seems like these "kits" come with several other metal mounts

Thanks!
Old 11-08-23, 03:53 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

There are brackets between the radiator housing and the bumper that is needed imho, the bumper on the 14+ protrudes further out. Look at the pics from my build and it’ll show where they are. I had my wife’s 17 to reference when working on my 13 as the instructions are not included. If I was doing this again, I would buy the bumper skin from a bone yard as the OEM fit and finish is better. The fit and finish from OEM on the most visible part is better. Still looks good but there are some rough edges compared to OEM.

The following users liked this post:
GXWestMI (11-08-23)
Old 12-01-23, 12:50 PM
GXWestMI
9th Gear

Default 2012 grill badge vs 2022?

There are brackets between the radiator housing and the bumper that is needed imho, the bumper on the 14+ protrudes further out. Look at the pics from my build and it’ll show where they are. I had my wife’s 17 to reference when working on my 13 as the instructions are not included. If I was doing this again, I would buy the bumper skin from a bone yard as the OEM fit and finish is better. The fit and finish from OEM on the most visible part is better. Still looks good but there are some rough edges compared to OEM.
Piney- did you have to buy a new lexus grille emblem? I'm still collecting parts for my 2012 > 2022 conversion

Old 12-01-23, 05:02 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GXWestMI
Piney- did you have to buy a new lexus grille emblem? I'm still collecting parts for my 2012 > 2022 conversion
yes, the the full update package had them but I purchased OEM ones as I did not want ones that were not 100% perfect.
Old 12-11-23, 04:29 PM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello CL GX460 members. I have a 2010 GX premium with the HID and AFS lighting system where my headlights go up/down on start up and turn left/right when making turns. I've been researching the facelift from 2010-2020 but still have questions that I hope others who have done this can help answer. My GX has low miles, runs great. I am a fan of the newer face of the GX and would rather try to do the facelift then buy a newer GX.
  • Would a facelift on my GX be easier with the 2014-2019 headlights as opposed to the 2020 newer ones. I am guessing the install process for either headlight still requires some rewiring? I don't want to deal with the AFS warning light on my dash and read where one user opened up his old headlight to pull the AFS module to install on the newer headlights. It's unclear to me how this was done.
  • parking sensors - do the parking sensors in my 2010 front bumper fit/reach the holes in the newer model bumper?
  • Has anyone sourced all OEM parts and is there a list with all the part numbers? I am thinking I source used OEM bumper and headlights then buy all the other parts new. Or, is it best to go with the aftermarket kits which comes with harness and all the required parts?
  • As to the aftermarket kit, is there one that just sells the front facelift parts, as I have yet to find one that does. I am not interested in updating the rear bumper or taillights of my GX.
  • Aftermarket kits - are the headlights of OEM like quality? Any issues with the headlights in the kits?
  • Installation videos - do step by step DIY videos exist including the headlight wiring?
Thank You,
Old 12-11-23, 09:35 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silva1181
Hello CL GX460 members. I have a 2010 GX premium with the HID and AFS lighting system where my headlights go up/down on start up and turn left/right when making turns. I've been researching the facelift from 2010-2020 but still have questions that I hope others who have done this can help answer. My GX has low miles, runs great. I am a fan of the newer face of the GX and would rather try to do the facelift then buy a newer GX.
  • Would a facelift on my GX be easier with the 2014-2019 headlights as opposed to the 2020 newer ones. I am guessing the install process for either headlight still requires some rewiring? I don't want to deal with the AFS warning light on my dash and read where one user opened up his old headlight to pull the AFS module to install on the newer headlights. It's unclear to me how this was done.
  • parking sensors - do the parking sensors in my 2010 front bumper fit/reach the holes in the newer model bumper?
  • Has anyone sourced all OEM parts and is there a list with all the part numbers? I am thinking I source used OEM bumper and headlights then buy all the other parts new. Or, is it best to go with the aftermarket kits which comes with harness and all the required parts?
  • As to the aftermarket kit, is there one that just sells the front facelift parts, as I have yet to find one that does. I am not interested in updating the rear bumper or taillights of my GX.
  • Aftermarket kits - are the headlights of OEM like quality? Any issues with the headlights in the kits?
  • Installation videos - do step by step DIY videos exist including the headlight wiring?
Thank You,
My 2017 had OEM HID w the leveling, the updated aftermarket lights worked as plug and play.
The 2013 had halogen and non-leveling. The wiring was the least fun. The company I bought from sent me the wiring in one-to-one emails via their chat support. I know very little about wiring so it was not fun but it has been 2 years and they work perfectly.

They do not advertise partial kits but if you contact them directly with your request, they will sell you want you want. For me, the tough calculus was shipping. But for buying what I bought, it was not an easy purchase because it wasn’t cheap. If I was doing the retrofit on the 13 again, I would buy an OEM front bumper as the fit and finish, finish around the edges in particular, is better with the OEM.

Installation videos are out there but the are not in english and not easy to follow. Instructions were also very, very sparse - sparse as in ‘non-existent’.

OEM vs aftermarket, it can be done w the OEM but it will cost a fortune. OEM quality is always going to be better but the aftermarket is pretty good. I grew up in body shops and am a lover of cars. These look quite good.

Old 12-12-23, 07:43 AM
silva1181
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2017 had OEM HID w the leveling, the updated aftermarket lights worked as plug and play.
The 2013 had halogen and non-leveling. The wiring was the least fun. The company I bought from sent me the wiring in one-to-one emails via their chat support. I know very little about wiring so it was not fun but it has been 2 years and they work perfectly.

They do not advertise partial kits but if you contact them directly with your request, they will sell you want you want. For me, the tough calculus was shipping. But for buying what I bought, it was not an easy purchase because it wasn’t cheap. If I was doing the retrofit on the 13 again, I would buy an OEM front bumper as the fit and finish, finish around the edges in particular, is better with the OEM.

Installation videos are out there but the are not in english and not easy to follow. Instructions were also very, very sparse - sparse as in ‘non-existent’.

OEM vs aftermarket, it can be done w the OEM but it will cost a fortune. OEM quality is always going to be better but the aftermarket is pretty good. I grew up in body shops and am a lover of cars. These look quite good.
Thanks Piney1.

I wonder if the wiring from my 2010 headlights is the same as your 2017 wiring whereas would the headlights in the kit be pnp in my 2010 where I don't have to worry about messing with the wiring?
Old 12-12-23, 08:47 AM
Piney1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by silva1181
Thanks Piney1.

I wonder if the wiring from my 2010 headlights is the same as your 2017 wiring whereas would the headlights in the kit be pnp in my 2010 where I don't have to worry about messing with the wiring?
Am not certain on that but I know that the folks in their support dept sent me back some pretty specific instructions and colors to match across the connectors. They seem to really know the wiring. I sent them pics of what I had and they sent me back the instructions. If you go to buy, ask these questions up front and on the partial kit - they just want to make a sale.
Old 12-14-23, 08:58 AM
GXWestMI
9th Gear

Am not certain on that but I know that the folks in their support dept sent me back some pretty specific instructions and colors to match across the connectors. They seem to really know the wiring. I sent them pics of what I had and they sent me back the instructions. If you go to buy, ask these questions up front and on the partial kit - they just want to make a sale.
I'm having a hard time figuring out this AFS error. It looks like my "12 premium has HID/autoleveling and AFS (left/right moving when turning). I have the conversion all figured out except the AFS dash error being removed.

About the conversion:
I'll provide more of a write up when im done but i sourced a mixture of OEM, CAPA and aftermarket parts. The best decision I made was ordering a pre-painted CAPA bumper cover from a reputable company - I lucked out and found my company was local, shipping unfolded painted bumpers is expensive. They do ship painted and folded but I had a poor experience.

The whole process is time consuming and after i thought I had everything, I had to make a quick dealership trip for some brackets and bolts and cough up $400! I can give a list of the oem parts and brackets and stuff you'll need but plan on not having your car for a week. You can order everything upfront but there's going to be more items you likely need or can't figure out (example headlights error)
Old 12-14-23, 04:03 PM
Piney1
Intermediate

Cool that you were able to source both OEM and aftermarket. I like the idea of ordering pre-painted. It is really tough to match but, if you got it and it matches, you won big time on that.

The errors are a PIA. I do wish there was a way to override some errors. My wife’s 17 was perfect for about 4 months and the I started to get the error PCS error. I need to recalibrate it but need to find a location to do that w techstream. It is maddening.

Old 12-14-23, 06:47 PM
GXWestMI
9th Gear

Cool that you were able to source both OEM and aftermarket. I like the idea of ordering pre-painted. It is really tough to match but, if you got it and it matches, you won big time on that.

The errors are a PIA. I do wish there was a way to override some errors. My wife’s 17 was perfect for about 4 months and the I started to get the error PCS error. I need to recalibrate it but need to find a location to do that w techstream. It is maddening.
I hear you, I finally figured out that the new headlights don't have an AFS function and that I was mixing up the auto leveling motor/wires with the AFS. Looks like I'll just be having the "AFS Off" blinking at me. Still worth it.

The following 4 users liked this post by GXWestMI:
Acrad (12-15-23), John00 (12-16-23), Piney1 (12-15-23), silva1181 (12-18-23)
Old 12-16-23, 06:34 PM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

the repair sheet shows the afs check method. with that you might be able to get the message to go away. whatever resistances or signals the check looks for you can put those at the ecu and it shouldnt know the difference.

Quick Reply: 2010-2013 conversions to 2014+