My next car/suv

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 08:34 PM
alir1983
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My next car/suv

Hello everyone,

I currently own a 2015 ES350 lease and am almost at the end of it. I'm looking into a few options and I'm quite confused to what to get into next. I know I'm not getting into another lease anymore because of mileage issues.

I'm looking for reliability, comfort, space, luxury, and something used with some miles maybe more.

Having said that, I'm debating between a used GX460 vs 4Runner Limited. How much of a difference is between the two as far as Luxury and comfort?

If not a SUV, how about a LS430? What years were best built that will last me approximately 5-6 years with slim to non issues. I am not interest in the ES any longer due to it not having enough power.
Old 03-08-16, 09:19 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I only recently purchased my used GX460, so others' opinions might be a little more helpful, but I've definitely been overthinking this for the past few months. I've driven both a 2015 and my current 2011.

I have not driven a 5th gen limited 4runner, but I have shopped them pretty hard and done my research. IMO it's difficult to find good value on a preowned 4runner. As opposed to the GX, which still holds its value well, but still depreciates more like a luxury good, so you can get more value buying used. It's also fairly difficult shopping new Toyotas, although that's another topic altogether.

You can get a lot of the same options on the Limited 4Runner, but you're still not getting as much truck overall. The GX is about 700-800 more pounds of vehicle. A lot of that is in the V8 over the lighter V6, but a lot of it is also in the heavier, more robust and luxurious build quality vs the Toyota.

Options wise the GX will have everything the limited has and more. Every GX has full-time 4WD, whereas you have to add 4WD to the 4Runner. You also have to add a 3rd row to the 4Runner if you want it. Every GX has KDSS, which is an optional extra on the 4Runner, and I don't believe it's available on the limited. You get the side-hinged rear door instead of the traditional hatch, which I think is cool, but some don't like it. As far as comfort, the Limited has 20" rims which are going to be more harsh vs the 18" on the GX and 17" on the non-limited 4Runner. And then the only way to get a 4Runner with a V8 is to buy a GX.

And finally, as far as vanity goes, the GX has a much better presence, looks bigger (although it's about the same dimensions), and looks like you spent a lot more money. Even though you can spend $45k+ on a limited 4Runner, it still looks like any other 4Runner to most people, whereas the GX is a big Lexus SUV with a unique appearance. And I think the GX just looks better in general. That said, the 4Runner is a bit more youthful.

You should definitely drive a GX, test drive new/used or a friend's truck, etc. before you make your decision. Both are great vehicles.

Here's a good video I came across recently comparing the two:
Old 03-08-16, 10:15 PM
alir1983
Driver

Thanks for the feedback.

Is the GX 460 known for allot of issues like the air suspension as I've heard? I know the Toyota 4 runners are built tough and are rarely known for any issues. If I won't run into many issues with a GX460 then I'd prefer that used over a 4runner.

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I only recently purchased my used GX460, so others' opinions might be a little more helpful, but I've definitely been overthinking this for the past few months. I've driven both a 2015 and my current 2011.

I have not driven a 5th gen limited 4runner, but I have shopped them pretty hard and done my research. IMO it's difficult to find good value on a preowned 4runner. As opposed to the GX, which still holds its value well, but still depreciates more like a luxury good, so you can get more value buying used. It's also fairly difficult shopping new Toyotas, although that's another topic altogether.

You can get a lot of the same options on the Limited 4Runner, but you're still not getting as much truck overall. The GX is about 700-800 more pounds of vehicle. A lot of that is in the V8 over the lighter V6, but a lot of it is also in the heavier, more robust and luxurious build quality vs the Toyota.

Options wise the GX will have everything the limited has and more. Every GX has full-time 4WD, whereas you have to add 4WD to the 4Runner. You also have to add a 3rd row to the 4Runner if you want it. Every GX has KDSS, which is an optional extra on the 4Runner, and I don't believe it's available on the limited. You get the side-hinged rear door instead of the traditional hatch, which I think is cool, but some don't like it. As far as comfort, the Limited has 20" rims which are going to be more harsh vs the 18" on the GX and 17" on the non-limited 4Runner. And then the only way to get a 4Runner with a V8 is to buy a GX.

And finally, as far as vanity goes, the GX has a much better presence, looks bigger (although it's about the same dimensions), and looks like you spent a lot more money. Even though you can spend $45k+ on a limited 4Runner, it still looks like any other 4Runner to most people, whereas the GX is a big Lexus SUV with a unique appearance. And I think the GX just looks better in general. That said, the 4Runner is a bit more youthful.

You should definitely drive a GX, test drive new/used or a friend's truck, etc. before you make your decision. Both are great vehicles.

Here's a good video I came across recently comparing the two: What's Different? 2015 Lexus GX vs Toyota 4Runner Limited - YouTube
Old 03-09-16, 07:07 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by alir1983
Thanks for the feedback.

Is the GX 460 known for allot of issues like the air suspension as I've heard? I know the Toyota 4 runners are built tough and are rarely known for any issues. If I won't run into many issues with a GX460 then I'd prefer that used over a 4runner.
The 470 is prone to a lot more issues like that, the 460 owners report very few issues. Although a lot of the 460s aren't old enough to be getting problems yet, and the 470s have been around awhile.

One of the few common problems I came across was the emissions air injection pump, which will suck its filter through the system and throw a code. This was a recall item on the Toyota 4.6, but not the Lexus.

Other than that, some second hand buyers avoid air suspension like you mentioned, but I didn't find it concerning.

Others would be able to tell you more than me
Old 03-09-16, 08:14 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally had the debate between a used 2014 GX and a 2016 4R Limited. I ultimately went with the 4R.

The GX is becoming a very dated design, and the 4R Limited has gained many of the options given to the Lexus. There are a few differences however, the KDSS with the air ride in the GX "can" be much more useful than the X-REAS on the Limited. However, that entirely depends on how you wish to utilize the vehicle.

In regards to usable storage space, the 4R has more. This was very important to me as I was dumping an NX for a bigger car.

The V8 in the GX is a joke. A 4.6L may be a tried and true engine, but its undersized, underpowered, and is often found lacking. If the 5.7L from the Tundra/LC was in it, then it might have been a different story. I found the 4.0L V6 in the 4R to be more than enough given the size and get better gas mileage without much loss of power. The exception to this is if you plan on towing. The 4.0 will come up short if you're towing more than 4500lbs (limit is 4800), the GX will be able to tow more.

Interior wise, while the GX is more luxurious, I didn't see the huge upgrade from the Limited. I felt being the type of truck that it is, the more utilitarian setup of the 4R was more advantageous to being like "I'm going to beat on this thing, take my dogs places all weekend, clean it up, and look sharp on Monday morning." I just didn't get the same feeling from the GX.

This is entirely my opinion of course, others may differ.

Last edited by Swacer; 03-09-16 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 10:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
I personally had the debate between a used 2014 GX and a 2016 4R Limited. I ultimately went with the 4R.

The GX is becoming a very dated design, and the 4R Limited has gained many of the options given to the Lexus. There are a few differences however, the KDSS with the air ride in the GX "can" be much more useful than the X-REAS on the Limited. However, that entirely depends on how you wish to utilize the vehicle.

In regards to usable storage space, the 4R has more. This was very important to me as I was dumping an NX for a bigger car.

The V8 in the GX is a joke. A 4.6L may be a tried and true engine, but its undersized, underpowered, and is often found lacking. If the 5.7L from the Tundra/LC was in it, then it might have been a different story. I found the 4.0L V6 in the 4R to be more than enough given the size and get better gas mileage without much loss of power. The exception to this is if you plan on towing. The 4.0 will come up short if you're towing more than 4500lbs (limit is 4800), the GX will be able to tow more.

Interior wise, while the GX is more luxurious, I didn't see the huge upgrade from the Limited. I felt being the type of truck that it is, the more utilitarian setup of the 4R was more advantageous to being like "I'm going to beat on this thing, take my dogs places all weekend, clean it up, and look sharp on Monday morning." I just didn't get the same feeling from the GX.

Excellent comments.

My mother has a 15' 4Runner a I find it to be a nicer vehicle than the GX. The limited leather is similar to the leather found in my fathers ES350. There are also plenty of nice luxury touches inside and the overall design (rear hatch) is so much more effective than the GX. It seams the 4Runner was designed for the North American market whereas the GX was made for non USA customers.
Old 03-09-16, 11:50 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

OP, these two guys above are just nuts.
Old 03-09-16, 12:39 PM
alir1983
Driver

Great feedback!

My SUV will be mainly used for city and hwy driving with no use of towing of any sort. My biggest concern is how much more comfortable is the GX than the 4R?

Originally Posted by Swacer

Old 03-09-16, 12:52 PM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
OP, these two guys above are just nuts.
LOL

4Runner is a good truck. However, GX460 is just better in everyway except the price.

Just enjoy yours!
Old 03-09-16, 01:50 PM
scriptkitt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 4Runner is a way sexier vehicle. I wanted one but I was replacing a totaled CX9 and couldn't find a 4Runner limited with the 3rd row in my area. After two of my friends talked up their GXs to me I decided to check them out and found it was exactly what I needed with the added bonus of better highway handling, fulltime 4wd and std 3rd row.

I'm still envious of the sporty 4Runner body but in the end I am happy and feel that I got the better vehicle
Old 03-11-16, 04:37 PM
mikeps2006
Driver School Candidate

before purchasing my 2016 GX i was thinking about the 4runner limited as well but chose the GX because i couldn't stand the little media screen in the 4runner....its tiny. 4runners have a lot more options when it comes to modding (if you're into that) but i think the 2016 is the better looking vehicle as well as comfort wise. i also like how the GX is higher...its one of the higher cars on the road. materials are better in the GX as well because its a lexus. honestly being built on the same platform, the rides are similar. all comes down to choice. theres a lot of videos on youtube comparing the 4runner limited and gx that also helped with my decision.
Old 03-12-16, 11:10 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikeps2006
before purchasing my 2016 GX i was thinking about the 4runner limited as well but chose the GX because i couldn't stand the little media screen in the 4runner....its tiny. 4runners have a lot more options when it comes to modding (if you're into that) but i think the 2016 is the better looking vehicle as well as comfort wise. i also like how the GX is higher...its one of the higher cars on the road. materials are better in the GX as well because its a lexus. honestly being built on the same platform, the rides are similar. all comes down to choice. theres a lot of videos on youtube comparing the 4runner limited and gx that also helped with my decision.
Me too, the GX seems taller and bigger than the 4runner, despite the official specifications. The 4runner looks like a smaller vehicle.

Still can't go wrong with either one.
Old 03-12-16, 04:41 PM
jhd331
Driver School Candidate

Default GX460 Suspension

Originally Posted by alir1983
Thanks for the feedback.

Let me give my two cents on the suspension issue as well as my experience in regards to the subject matter...

My previous car was a 2013 Range Rover Sport i purchased brand new. Put 67K miles on it, started to break, cost of ownership went through the roof, and then of course the dreaded suspension compressor went out at 65K miles and cost me like 2K to get replaced because a distribution block went out as well.

I traded that in for my current 2016 GX460 Premium, which does not have the suspension adjustment for the back of the vehicle. I made it a point this time around to put my foot down and get rid of the "moving parts" just so i can have a vehicle that i can throw miles on and not worry about parts breaking with the suspension. After my experience in 2015 with the Range Rover, i simply wanted to get away from adjustable suspensions.

Now, having owned the GX460 since December, i am quite happy and it has a very nice ride without the air ride suspension like my Range Rover had... It is quite surprising to be honest. However, i am sure a large portion has to do with the balloon like tires the dealership installed on the vehicle. But, it really is nice.

As far as the look of the vehicle goes... I like it. However the wheels suck a bunch. 18's on a vehicle this large? C'mob Lexus grow a pair of *****. My Rover was smaller dimensions wise and had 22's. with that being said i will be upgrading my wheels and tires to something like the Type F's to stay true to the brand and adding larger tires. The dealership puts on very small tires and they can actually be comfortably upgraded to 275 65 18 which actually fill up the wheel wells and make it look like a SUV.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-16, 08:32 AM
managerx
Driver School Candidate

Like many people here I also cross shopped the 4Runner and GX. While they are both amazing cars in their own right - they really are totally different classes of cars.

The 4Runner looks amazing. Even though it is almost 6 years old - it still looks fresh and athletic. However, the ride is much harsher and the interior, even in limited trim is pretty basic. It feels like you are driving a Toyota (duh!). If you are coming from a luxury car - this will be a very noticeable step down in feel. But if you want a cool truck - there is nothing "cooler".

The GX is just more refined in every way. If someone says the GX is underpowered but is OK with the power in the 4Runner - I want to come along for that test ride. The GX's V8 is silky smooth; while it may not be an AMG Mercedes, it just pulls without effort. Interior noise is next to non-existent and the quality of the fit and finish is standard Lexus. The downside, design is getting a bit dated - both interior and exterior. Not bad - but stacked up against a new XC90 or X5 is looks a little old...

With respect to space - I may be at odds with people, but I found the GX to have more space than the 4runner - and I know the specs would suggest otherwise. I brought a car seat with me and it fit much better than in the 4runner...truck space with the seats up was pretty similar too. However, the GX back seat was roomier.

In Canada a 4Runner tops out at $48K and a GX at $77K; so while they are both "trucks" and have similar heritage - they are aimed at different segments.

All this being said - if you are coming from an ES - what not get a RX? Do you need the off road capability and bad gas mileage??