GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Water Pump Leaks or failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-19, 03:45 PM
supperfly1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tigmd99

My 2008 Sienna blew its connecting rod at 90k miles. $4500 repair bill. Want to compare that to water pump?
im coming from a 2jz-ge that i had for 10 yrs. Only did the timing belt as preventative. Had 176k miles. Also have a 2gr for 5 years and 101k miles and nothing yet but oil changes.
Old 04-18-19, 09:51 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default water pump failing at 79K miles - any brands better than Aisin?

OK, so the Aisin is the same as factory Toyota/Lexus.... but here is my problem: If the stock water pump only lasted 79K miles, how long is the exact same replacement part going to last?

Has Aisin come up with a Generation 2 or an improved version of this pump?

Thoughts?

I plan on replacing this myself pretty soon. I just don't want to have to do it again at 160K miles.

That isn't much to complain about every 80K miles, but still..... I am spoiled from my 100 series Landcruiser and the awesome 4.7 engine's reliability and longevity without issue.
Old 04-18-19, 11:18 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

At least your lasted twice as long as mine which leaked at 42k miles. I replaced with Toyota OEM water pump.
Old 04-19-19, 12:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Mine started to go at around 38k miles.
Old 04-19-19, 05:13 AM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

There are a couple other brands available with different pricing on rock auto

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ater+pump,2208

I suspect the price difference is to cover the additional warranty. The BERCK water pump has a 3 yr/ 50k mile warranty.
Old 04-19-19, 08:57 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

What are the symptoms you guys are seeing? Weeping/leaking coolant at the pump?

On the one hand, many engines have the water pump as a "routine" service when the timing belt is done at around 90k, which indicates that this part just doesn't last in general. On the other hand, my 96 Land Cruiser is still on the original water pump after 20+ years and 200k miles. So I guess the data is mixed, but certainly problems with less than 50k miles are unacceptable.

Aisin makes a ton of mechanical parts for Toyota (the carb on my 76 Land Cruiser is Aisin, as is the BMC), has for a very long time, and they are typically of the highest quality available. While I get the point about this part being a weak spot for the GX, I'm not sure I'd another brand unless it was 1/4-1/2 the cost, and I was prepared to service it again in 50k miles.
Old 04-19-19, 10:00 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Mine was leaking out pretty obviously on front of motor and pink on the skids below. It came on quite quickly.
Old 04-19-19, 10:09 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Yeah, I am with you that I know the Aisin parts are usually top notch, but these water pumps sure seem to be a weak design.

I don't know if I would trust any other brand.

The Lexus dealership had our car in for the airbag recall and noted the water pump issue. I haven't personally seen the leaking pump yet. I plan on possibly changing the oil and oil filter housing this weekend, and I will be checking for the pink cotton candy signs of the leak.
Old 04-21-19, 07:46 PM
Gxxr
Driver

Well, Easter weekend was nice and productive, but not when it comes to getting to change the oil and work on the GX460, nothing happened.

I didn't have a jack that would even lift my rigs anymore, as I have been depending on some car ramps up until now.

I did find an awesome old USA made Walker model 884 4 ton Long jack that lifts as high as 24inches, and was very, very, very affordable.

My dad and I got to put a bunch of elbow grease into servicing the jack, cleaning and lubricating everything (It has grease zerks on the main lift hinge and the front wheels). It was a little low on hydraulic fluid, so we filled it up and it works awesome. Lifts my 100 series Land Cruiser with very little effort, and keeps on going really high up. Speaking of heavy duty, it is 4 foot long with the handle up, and about 8 foot long with the handle down, and about 180lbs of American iron and precision steel.

Maybe, just maybe, I will get to look at the GX460 this week or next weekend.
Old 05-12-19, 04:06 PM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Well... just got around to working on it, I removed the water inlet housing (adapter the goes from the water pump to the thermostat) and guess what? My water pump is not leaking and it's the coolant valley leak

Reading from the other threads looks like I've to remove the intake manifold and reseal it. I may take it to shop or just keep an eye on my overflow tank. So far it has only been leaking about an inch below the full line every 500 miles.

Anybody have more info regarding the repair? I see the recommended sealant on the ih8mud tundra forums, but any other helpful info would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-19, 04:29 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Here are intake manifold removal instructions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Intake Manifold Removal.pdf (372.9 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-28-19, 08:12 AM
xplorr
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I get to join the coolant leak club as well. What would you recommend as far as determining what is leaking? I really can't see much of anything up there that gives me a clue. 2011 with 145k miles.

Old 05-28-19, 08:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Are you seeing any pink from the top? My water pump was visible from here but the pink showed up on the skids below too

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9900907

Old 05-28-19, 08:39 AM
Ramacher
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by xplorr
Well, I get to join the coolant leak club as well. What would you recommend as far as determining what is leaking? I really can't see much of anything up there that gives me a clue. 2011 with 145k miles.

If it's leaking that much, I'm fairly certain it's your water pump. After I noticed my leak my coolant tank was going down about an inch every week. Since swapping out the water pump I haven't noticed it go down.

Theweep hole for the water pump is behind the pulley at around the 4 o'clock position and really hard to see without removing the pulley. I noticed the coolant in the valley after I removing my air intake box, tube and throttle body.

Now I'm not 100% certain if the coolant in the valley is from the coolant valley leak or coolant coming from the water pump weep hole and being blown up and into the valley by the fan. I'm keeping an eye on my overflow tank but when I checked it last week it was still at the full mark.
Old 05-28-19, 08:45 AM
xplorr
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Are you seeing any pink from the top? My water pump was visible from here but the pink showed up on the skids below too
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...ml#post9900907
Good question, no, I could not see any pink from the top... actually there was a very small amount of pink on the top of the reservoir cap. I don't think it was enough to correspond to what I am seeing down below though, also that is located farther forward.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Leaks or failure