GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Water Pump Leaks or failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 11:56 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Are you absolutely sure it really is the water pump? Just a lot of other things it could potentially be that are way easier to fix. Might want to put some UV dye in there and double check.

I've had service writers try all sorts of things. Definitely not a common repair for this vehicle to have a leaking water pump at 91k miles.
Old 08-06-21, 12:30 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

I had my water pump start to leak at 38k miles on my '12.

Noticeable drop in recovery tank pink stains all the way down to skids.

It was repaired under Lexus powertrain warranty though.
Old 08-21-21, 09:42 AM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red fluid leaking under engine

Hi all. I was changing my engine oil and while I was down there, I realized there’s a hole eaten through the front factory skid plate along the center line of the car (I just bought the GX used….☹️). When I took it off, I saw clear red fluid dripping from the engine. Help me identify it. Is this transmission fluid? Or is the the transfer case people talk about?

thanks in advance.

Old 08-21-21, 09:53 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,830 Likes on 2,392 Posts

Looks like coolant to me, maybe? What does it feel like.
Old 08-21-21, 10:18 AM
NewB2Lexus
Intermediate

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

It looks coolant to me too but you need to identify if it is coolant or oil of some kind.

1. You can put some UV dye into the coolant in your radiator (I have dye in the coolant in all of our vehicles), then you can check for leaks with a cheap UV light.
2. Clean up the area with degreaser then apply baby powder with a brush. Check the next day to see where the liquid is coming from.

Possibly you have the coolant valley leak or one of the hoses might be cracked. Make sure you check your fluid levels frequently before it is fixed.
Old 08-21-21, 10:39 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Since that is on the front looks similar to when my water pump leaked.
Old 08-21-21, 03:47 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 592 Likes on 359 Posts

99% sure that's coolant, check your expansion tank level (is it lowering or empty?)
Old 08-22-21, 08:07 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 520 Posts

Looks like there is an oil leak also somewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
Acrad (08-22-21), tystaco (08-23-21)
Old 08-22-21, 08:59 AM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Looks like coolant to me, maybe? What does it feel like.
Im not sure what it feels like unfortunately but I recall it’s pretty thin fluid.

I think the coolant theory is right tho. I was worried it was transmission fluid but I think the location is more consistent with coolant.
Old 08-22-21, 09:00 AM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Looks like there is an oil leak also somewhere.
I thought the same thing. I’m wrestling with the idea that it’s been ongoing for such a while that the skid plate is eaten away at where it’s dropped onto it. So perhaps the dark is just dirt that the coolant has mixed with. Either way it needs to be looked at.
Old 08-22-21, 10:25 AM
Romanova
Racer

Time to get a really bright light and look at the top and bottom of the motor. I suspect that you're leaking coolant and it should be pretty easy to determine the source. For the oil, if it isn't dripping on the ground, it probably isn't too bad. I would suggest spraying down the underside of the motor and skid plate and get it really clean and then keep an eye on it. Sometimes an old oil leak can be tough to trace when the oil gets everywhere and then dirt clings to it.

How many miles on the GX and what year is it? As far as coolant leaks, it happens on these cars. Quite a few of us have either had to do the water pump or the radiator, though usually with those you get the pink crusties and not liquid-state coolant. For that, start with the obvious points like your hoses, clamps, and the expansion tank...
Old 08-22-21, 10:40 AM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Romanova
Time to get a really bright light and look at the top and bottom of the motor. I suspect that you're leaking coolant and it should be pretty easy to determine the source. For the oil, if it isn't dripping on the ground, it probably isn't too bad. I would suggest spraying down the underside of the motor and skid plate and get it really clean and then keep an eye on it. Sometimes an old oil leak can be tough to trace when the oil gets everywhere and then dirt clings to it.

How many miles on the GX and what year is it? As far as coolant leaks, it happens on these cars. Quite a few of us have either had to do the water pump or the radiator, though usually with those you get the pink crusties and not liquid-state coolant. For that, start with the obvious points like your hoses, clamps, and the expansion tank...
thanks for that.

it’s a 2014 with 93k. Sadly a completely unknown service history, which I regret, though this crazy market dictated that unfortunately.

I don’t see the classic red crusties like you and many other posts reference, which was why I was initially confused. I agree a deep cleaning and observe is in order.
Old 08-23-21, 05:22 AM
tystaco
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Like others have stated, that's coolant. Shine around and find the highest wet spot...check your clamps, sometimes its as easy as just spinning the clamp 90 degrees around the hose. I could see that being spillage from a recent fill, if somebody recently filled it. You might get lucky...at least it isn't the valley plate leak that I just did.
Old 08-25-21, 06:34 PM
left123
Driver School Candidate

Took it in and Toyota dealership said it was the water pump. It’s not horrible apparently but they quoted me to replace just the pump itself. Anyone have strong thoughts on this? I was thinking the thermostat and belt at least.

thanks in advance.
Old 08-25-21, 09:45 PM
Romanova
Racer

At that mileage and while they are in there, have them do the thermostat housing and the serp belt. For all that, hopefully you around $1000 or so at Toyota parts/labor.
The following 3 users liked this post by Romanova:
Acrad (08-26-21), NewB2Lexus (08-26-21), nuclearn8 (08-26-21)

Quick Reply: Water Pump Leaks or failure