GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

back seat burned up

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 04:44 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Share some details?

Hi AirForcegx, I beleive we all want to help you here in the forum. Could you share how it happened?

We have questions like:

When did it occur, during driving or parked and vehicle totally off (engine, lights, etc. are all off)?

Who discovered the burn/burning seat?

What do you think you did with the vehicle before it happened?

Why do you think it happened, was trhere anything in the back seat that was powered and turned on, such as a cell phone or anything that generates a lot of heat?

If you think it is a Lexus GX460 vehicle issue, I would be happy to sign a petition for Lexus to get it fixed before somebody seriously gets hurt without warning - if you did nothing wrong and operated the GX as it should be, I don't see why Lexus will not fix it if it is a defect. Thank you for your input, we are looking forward to read it.
Old 03-25-16, 07:04 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForcegx
All equipment is as I got it. No aftermarket. I have attached the vin from my insurance card...my 2006 infinity q56 had rear seater heaters, so don't know why that was such a shock. again, not a troller, just looking for advice to elevate my concern...
I believe you, but the single most important information we want to know is why Lexus said they would not cover it and what involvement the dealer has had dealing with this. Unless there is something you are not telling us there is no way Lexus could deny it if you are under warranty.
Old 03-26-16, 09:34 AM
AirForcegx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep replying but I don't see it show up??? I guess it has to go thru a process because I am so new???...
1. it was in the driveway parked, off,
2. friend found it when she got in, she noticed a HORRID SMELL and had to investigate
3. I did have a 30lb bag of dog food hill science diet on the seat
4. The dog food bag was unscathed
5. I did call 1800 lexus, they reexamined my claim that was denied and still denied it but wouldn't let me speak to claims manager!!...I don't understand the food chain obviously at lexus....and i have owned many lexus vehicles with no problems..this is however my FIRST NEW ONE..and it is a lease..
Old 03-26-16, 10:12 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 209 Likes on 138 Posts

I keep replying but I don't see it show up??? I guess it has to go thru a process because I am so new???...
2. friend found it when she got in, she noticed a HORRID SMELL and had to investigate
5. I did call 1800 lexus, they reexamined my claim that was denied and still denied it but wouldn't let me speak to claims manager!!...I don't understand the food chain obviously at lexus....and i have owned many lexus vehicles with no problems..this is however my FIRST NEW ONE..and it is a lease..
You start at your dealership with a service advisor. If you don't get anywhere there, speak with a manager then escalate to corporate if you aren't getting proper service for a fire (life/safety) hazard. If you can, post the service report that was given to you so that people here aren't doubting you, if that matters to you. I have a 2015 GX and would be very concerned by spontateous fire source in my vehicle.
Old 03-26-16, 11:00 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

From AitForcegx:

"I keep writing responses, but they don't get posted, so I am writing you specifically since you had the questions and maybe you can forward on to the others...
1. The car was in the driveway parked, off,
2. Friend noticed it when she got in because of he HORRID smell!! and had to investigate!!!
3. there was a 30lb bag of dog food on the seat, hills science diet, which was unscathed!!!... in perfect condition..
4. I called 1800 lexus and a cs manager called me back and said that she spoke with the claims manager and that i was going to be getting a letter..she was very tight lipped...I asked her what the letter would say and she wouldn't tell me, just that they wouldn't cover it. I asked her if I could speak to the claims manager or hers how to escalate my concern and she wouldn't let me speak to the claims manager.
she said there will be a POC on the letter..and i can try to call them..I asked her if she could give me that and she said no. I asked her if she could email the letter so I could get it faster and she said no.
I said I understand if you are just the messenger and don't have the authority to take this on, but i need to elevate this concern. She said she DID have the authority and she was sticking to their decision.

My USAA claims guy couldn't believe it either, he said they covered the damage to the leather on the door panels from this one lady who had a 5 year old lexus, that her dogs had licked the leather to the point that it had melted..and they replaced it all...

I am just trying to go up the food chain and need help. I am scared of this car and what might happen, I would like my car fixed, but I am also scared for what might happen to someone else since we usually all put our children in the backseat.

thanks for listening."

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
Hi AirForcegx, I beleive we all want to help you here in the forum. Could you share how it happened?

We have questions like:

When did it occur, during driving or parked and vehicle totally off (engine, lights, etc. are all off)?

Who discovered the burn/burning seat?

What do you think you did with the vehicle before it happened?

Why do you think it happened, was trhere anything in the back seat that was powered and turned on, such as a cell phone or anything that generates a lot of heat?

If you think it is a Lexus GX460 vehicle issue, I would be happy to sign a petition for Lexus to get it fixed before somebody seriously gets hurt without warning - if you did nothing wrong and operated the GX as it should be, I don't see why Lexus will not fix it if it is a defect. Thank you for your input, we are looking forward to read it.
Old 03-26-16, 11:04 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

I have a 2014 GX, essentially similar built to the latest... therefore, I am very concerned also. Lexus Corporate should at least investigate, not make sudden decision - specially this case of burnt seat!! What do we have to do to get the bottom of this?
Old 03-26-16, 04:04 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 881 Likes on 611 Posts

The question is WHY was it denied???

Old 03-27-16, 08:41 AM
jjscsix
Racer

I hate to sound negative because the OP sounds like an okay guy. But I'm a huge car nut and have bought I think 62 new vehicles in the past 42 years. I have never heard of a "claim" being filed with an auto company to cover a malfunction of any sort. As someone above said, the process is to take the vehicle to the dealer and go from there.

While it makes no sense, what it sounds like is that the OP went to his insurance company to cover it then sent the insurance "claim" to Lexus asking them to cover it.

Airforce guy, could you please be more descriptive about your process for having the damage assessed and being denied by the dealer and Lexus why they would not fix the damage under warranty. Certainly they had to have told you something about why they would not fix it under warranty. Or did you even take it to the dealer and go through that process?

Trust me when I say that I think we all want to support you on this and believe it's a real issue.
Old 03-27-16, 10:15 AM
AirForcegx
Driver School Candidate

1. backseat burned up
2. took it to dealer in mobile which is 2 hour away from me, had to hire a driver to take me there, medical problems.etc..
3. they said I had to open a claim with lexus that they couldn't do it, couldn't fix it or open the claim..
4. I called lexus and they said they would get back with me
5. Lexus of mobile calls and tells me to have car back in mobile at 7am for an inspection...I tell them I can't drive but they can come pick it up and they tell me they will have to charge me!!!...jeez...this is 2 days before they demand i have car back at 7 am 2 hours away...
6. they come pick it up, i have no choice, take it to dealer, inspector looks at it...and lexus of mobile calls me back days later saying they aren't covering the claim
7. They say lexus will send me the infamous letter
8. frustrated, but also dealing with serious medical issues..i take it to local toyota place and contact my insurance usaa to fix it...
9. after hearing options of several people looking at it with no "bias"...decided to try appeal lexus decision...and thats when the lady wouldn't let me talk to claims and sent out the Letter again...saying why they would't cover the claim...
i had to go back thru email to recall the chain of events due to some ongoing medical issues.
that's what brought me here, to see if there was any intel from seasoned lexus owners that may help me get somewhere.
thanks for your time
Old 03-28-16, 04:12 AM
jjscsix
Racer

"AirForce" has sent me a PM with more details. This forum apparently does not let new members posts to go through without approval for some period of time. From what he said in his PM to me he has gone through all the proper channels with his dealer and he has owned several Lexus. It's a mystery as to why Lexus is not covering this and why they will not communicate their reasons.
Old 03-28-16, 09:11 AM
ccj4
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Perhaps time to file complaint with NHTSA

USAA's insurance operation is largely contracted out now. Do not look to them to pursue any of the potential safety issues. If one does an internet search on how to report car defects, the first result is the on-line link to file a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You'll also see this is not a unique incident, but a problem that has not gotten much action. Air Force, you may prevent other future occurrences like yours by filing a complaint now. I moved up from the GX to an LX 4 years ago, have never turned on the rear seat heater, and am not likely to do so now. Best of luck Air Force.
Old 03-29-16, 05:24 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ccj4
USAA's insurance operation is largely contracted out now. Do not look to them to pursue any of the potential safety issues. If one does an internet search on how to report car defects, the first result is the on-line link to file a report with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. You'll also see this is not a unique incident, but a problem that has not gotten much action. Air Force, you may prevent other future occurrences like yours by filing a complaint now. I moved up from the GX to an LX 4 years ago, have never turned on the rear seat heater, and am not likely to do so now. Best of luck Air Force.
^ I agree, OP please file a complaint with the NHTSA.. Also, once you receive the letter from Lexus please post their explanation as to why they denied your claim.

Last edited by JT4; 03-29-16 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 10:57 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

So, still no other pictures? Good grief.
Old 03-30-16, 02:08 PM
mikeps2006
Driver School Candidate

thats crazy!!! i wonder why Lexus isn't taking responsibility.
Old 03-30-16, 02:42 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Something is very wrong with this picture, Im not saying anything negative about the OP--but I cannot believe that Lexus will not Pay to fix this, from what has been said its cut and dry, seat burnt up--Lexus is very forgiving on issues with their cars and do most anything to help a customer out.. Im tempted to call CS myself and ask about this burnt up seat and see what they say!!

1. My 08 GX470 with 65xxx (no warranty left) on it had a brake booster go out $2200 to fix thru dealership, I called CS and explained issue and the next day it was in the shop Fixed for free!!

Quick Reply: back seat burned up