GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

back seat burned up

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 10:57 AM
AirForcegx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation back seat burned up

My 2015 Lexus GX460, backseat burned up where the seater heaters were. The car was off at the time sitting in my driveway. I have contacted Lexus who sent an inspector and said they wouldn't fix it, or replace my car. the back seat is a pile of tar pit melted goo, and they won't do a thing. I am having to go thru my insurance to get it fixed which I will pay for. Any suggestions to get this problem to the upper management, CEO's,etc...If my kid had been sitting there he could have been badly hurt, this could be the start of a recall...etc....just for safety sake you would think they would be interested in fixing it!!...

Last edited by AirForcegx; 03-18-16 at 07:34 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 03-18-16, 11:33 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

post pics or your post is nothing but trolling
Old 03-18-16, 11:43 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Need more details on this, Mileage, Aftermarket equipment etc.
Old 03-18-16, 01:15 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I find that VERY hard to believe Lexus will not do anything--

Need pictures

Last edited by Booyah; 03-18-16 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 07:35 PM
AirForcegx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't even know what trolling is..and what my motivation would be for making something like this up...i came to this site for help...might have been wrong...no after market anything...5000 miles..
Old 03-19-16, 04:26 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

First of all, please explain what it means that Lexus sent an inspector. Was it in the shop, and what did the dealer say. I agree that I'm very surprised that Lexus would not take this seriously. Why did they say they are not covering it?
Old 03-19-16, 06:01 AM
Eppieguy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If it only has 5k on it there should be no reason why they wouldn't fix it. I'd be calling Lexus directly or going to another dealer. I'd ask for written documentation as to why they are declining your claim.
Old 03-19-16, 12:41 PM
angelslex
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

AirforceGX is the GX Luxury or Base? Just wondering of the dealer did the heated seat at the dealer and not from factory.
Old 03-19-16, 04:14 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Call 1 (800) 255-3987 number for lexus customer care--they will get a case started and they will take care of you properly--you should not have to pay a penny. I can imagine the stink in that GX too that will probably never go away---Im thinking Buyback and get you another GX--Im guessing everything is factory in your GX as well, if so there is NO way lexus will not cover you 100%
Old 03-19-16, 05:26 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 206 Likes on 137 Posts

This is crazy. I'm now curious how Lexus handled this. Are you the original owner and what dealership did you go thru or did you go straight to corporate? My GX is a 2015 Premium with 9k miles and something as spontaneous as this is alarming.
Old 03-21-16, 06:00 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

OP very sorry to see this, and if this happened for no reason it is very concerning. Someone could have been seriously injured.

I am not saying this happened but is it possible something spilled on the back seat that you are unaware of? It would still be troubling if this was the case since any of us with kids know that on occasion they will spill something.

Can you please tell us why the Lexus inspector determined that Lexus wouldn't repair this for you? Lexus corp had to tell you the reason as to why they refused to repair it??
Old 03-21-16, 06:50 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

i dont know, from the pattern, looks like something was spilled on it. IF it was a heater issue, the whole seat would of been burned up symmetrically, but it looks like quarter rear of seat melted around seat belt. The seat foam still looks intact. Just looks like the faux leather is melted. What did you put on reat seat because its also on your hat.
From the looks of the picture not entirely sure its a vehicle issue.
take a pic of whole seat and back and not just a little part here like you provided.

Last edited by T4Fun; 03-21-16 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-21-16, 08:20 AM
Bluto
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint with NHTSA:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Provide the complaint number to Lexus.
Old 03-21-16, 06:54 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Hopefully he'll come back with more answers for us.
Old 03-21-16, 08:50 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chemical Spill or Cigar burn?

I don't see part of the heater pad underneath the outer skin (doesn't look like real leather), unless the heater pad is under the foam. I believe the burn started on the surface, like something very hot was on top of the seat. Depending on the build/options you have with the GX, a good start could be to point out the seat may not be real leather, but when a dry leather is burned, it usually leave a dry char also. When there is plastic or liquid chemical involved, the charring would be consistent with what was photographed - shiny black tar.
If Lexus used a leather like material when it is supposed to be real animal skin, they might be in line for "product substitution" or "false claim" complaints.

There is a AC110 volt plug in the trunk and it is easy to think you could use that plug for electric blankets which anyone should never even think of doing. As for the aftermarket seat heaters out there, I would not recommend installing them at all in any vehicle. I understand everybody has their own budgets for vehicles but investing on safety and comfort features when they are not standard load would give the owner higher level of enjoyment of the vehicle purchased. I remember when I was settling with other brands of vehicles because of budget constraints and eventually came to realize I spent more in the end simply because the vehicles were not made by Toyota/Lexus.

Finally, I am very curious as to why Lexus declined to fix the damage.

Last edited by LXGXSAM1; 03-21-16 at 09:10 PM.

Quick Reply: back seat burned up