GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Looking into purchasing a used one

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16 | 08:43 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by thequickad
you guys are drinking the GX Kool-Aid. Just because you want the GX460 to be reliable, it does not mean it is. Yes some forum member came out with an ingenious fix for the 2ndary air pump filter issue. But Lexus still missed the boat. Just read the topics on the GX460 forum and you see many issues posted by the other members.

So GX is more reliable than Range Rover, o.k. so what, when you buy a Lexus you expect legendary Toyota reliability. It is supposed to be more reliable than Range Rover, why is that even a yardstick? If you buy a used GX460, better make sure you get it CPO so you have some warranty coverage. It is just not as reliable as it should be for a 4runner upgrade. Not fun when the 2ndary air pump problem occurred while I was driving on the 5 FWY. I am glad I sold mine.
The complaint history doesn't back up your claims so...agree to disagree. We're drinking the kool-aid and you're a bitter former owner who in all likelihood sold his GX right before it was poised to give you many worry free years of service.
Old 04-13-16 | 01:46 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Thanks to him, everybody (will) save lots of repair costs that is really a minor issue if you think about it. The secondary air pump issue could be prevented by avoiding those engine cleaning routines. The water pump leaks, signs of repeated excessive idling such as Getting stuck in LA traffic. You could prevent that by changing coolant more often in my experience/s.
Old 04-13-16 | 06:15 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GXGSAm
Thanks to him, everybody (will) save lots of repair costs that is really a minor issue if you think about it. The secondary air pump issue could be prevented by avoiding those engine cleaning routines. The water pump leaks, signs of repeated excessive idling such as Getting stuck in LA traffic. You could prevent that by changing coolant more often in my experience/s.
Engine cleaning is not the resulting problem. It is covered up by the plastic shield and probably more vulnerable to rain and car washes through the grille. Does changing the coolant really extend the life of the water pump?

Last edited by tecman; 04-13-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-13-16 | 07:14 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

[QUOTE=tecman;9447146]Engine cleaning is not the resulting problem. It is covered up by the plastic shield and probably more vulnerable to rain and car washes through the grille. Does changing the coolant really extend the life

Cleaning the engine with degreaser then flushed with water could introduce wetness to the foam inside the device, causing it to become soggy, and will eventually get sucked into the tubes and fan.

As for the coolant, don't take my word for it. If you do a lot of idling, off-roading, or towing, replacing critical engine fluids such as coolants, differential oils, transmission oil, etc. will prevent premature wear and leaks due to heat and corrosion. At 50k miles interval, I replace all my fluids and all of my previous Lexus and Toyota trucks were good as new at 150k+ miles.
Old 04-13-16 | 07:49 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

I will give you possible, but not probable with engine wash

The original filter cap does not allow water to be taken in.

Old 04-14-16 | 06:25 AM
GXGSAm
Driver

Why do you even wash the "engine" without removing the covers. Hmm. Each time I or somebody else wash my engine compartment, the process of rinsing the degreaser sprayed on with water hose, is with the engine on - to make sure the engine dry fast and
If I am not careful with the water spray, I could get water sucked in to that foam filter. JMHO.

Last edited by GXGSAm; 04-14-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-14-16 | 02:04 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tecman
I will give you possible, but not probable with engine wash

The original filter cap does not allow water to be taken in.

While it isn't likely, this person did appear to have a significant amount of moisture inside their pump: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html

How the pump got that way I can't tell you....
Old 04-14-16 | 11:29 PM
midwest2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bd5400
The complaint history doesn't back up your claims so...agree to disagree. We're drinking the kool-aid and you're a bitter former owner who in all likelihood sold his GX right before it was poised to give you many worry free years of service.

I was HIGHLY disappointed with my GX when the secondary air valves malfunctioned. I fixed them myself and now have a good understanding of how the system works and how to quickly repair it if it ever goes bad again. After one year of ownership, I completely love my GX. I also like that there is not one on every corner--it's usually the only one of its kind in the lot.
Old 04-28-16 | 08:02 AM
Aulakh1
Driver School Candidate

I actually have a 2011 GX460 and bought it brand new in 2011. I had all service done by Lexus and never went to anybody else for any work. I'm sitting at 80k and have not had any problems. This was my 4th Lexus and also have a fifth. The good thing with Lexus is according to my experience is that i've never had any major problems and i've went up to 120k-150k without many repairs needed to be done.
Old 04-28-16 | 08:19 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by midwest2
I was HIGHLY disappointed with my GX when the secondary air valves malfunctioned. I fixed them myself and now have a good understanding of how the system works and how to quickly repair it if it ever goes bad again. After one year of ownership, I completely love my GX. I also like that there is not one on every corner--it's usually the only one of its kind in the lot.
I was disappointed to see that it's even an issue. And my truck had it before I bought it. But that seems to be the only big issue these trucks have.

However, I see a ton of these everywhere, usually driven by well-to-do thin middle aged women Probably because I live in the burbs... but they are everywhere. Hell, I even saw a Prado last week on a trip to Florence.
Old 04-28-16 | 06:10 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Default Thank you for pointing out an example

Originally Posted by bd5400
While it isn't likely, this person did appear to have a significant amount of moisture inside their pump: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...-pictures.html

How the pump got that way I can't tell you....
Trace it back to where fluid/water would get sucked-in and voila!