GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-19, 04:00 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by leftyguns
just got mine back today from the recall. i dropped it off on Saturday at Kuni Lexus in greenwood village, they provided me a loaner car and kept it all weekend. did my oil change too while they had it. the loaner was a 2019 NX300, that sure was fun to drive around for a weekend. a lot peppier than the GX.

it is only the passenger airbag on the recall, i had read on other forums they were removing the whole dash to replace it. Lexus only unbolted the dash, lifted it up, then removed airbag through the glovebox some how. i was worried since i wired up some extra USB plugs in the glovebox but it didnt seem to present a problem. i haven't noticed any weird noises or rattling from the replacement so far.
During my recall, dealer had removed entire center console and glovebox as they had explained to me besides the passenger side airbag component, there is one control unit was also replaced (behind center stack).
Old 03-18-19, 06:24 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hzhao
During my recall, dealer had removed entire center console and glovebox as they had explained to me besides the passenger side airbag component, there is one control unit was also replaced (behind center stack).
i was suspicious they removed the center console area too, my gear shifter felt off and my wireless charging station was moved. i also have some hidden wires under there for rear USB charging, glad all of that was non issue for them
Old 03-19-19, 04:22 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Full center console here too when they did mine last week.
I confirmed when I noticed the wood trim on the gearshift was facing forward....

I will say - They did a clean job and no rattles or annoyances so far!
Old 03-20-19, 04:37 AM
CanadaGX
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Recall notices have moved to Canada. I did mine yesterday. No complaints about the service. They were quick and clean. Had a 2019 RX to drive, pretty underwhelming. It has the same features as my GX in a bit nicer packaging. I was expecting more...
Old 03-24-19, 07:50 AM
Moonlite
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is a gap between the dash panel and speaker after airbag recall.

Left side top speaker
Originally Posted by 11GX460
That looks bad, but are you noticing any creaking sounds coming from that area???
I have to take it back to fix it. Not happy at this moment to replaced my battery for like $245 and lost all my settings.
Old 03-24-19, 09:05 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonlite

Left side top speaker

I have to take it back to fix it. Not happy at this moment to replaced my battery for like $245 and lost all my settings.
Not sure why dealer had to remove the top dash panels for this recall. Most I have known the recall involve of removing glove box and center console where Nav/Radio/AC control units (and associated panels at the shift area). As for the battery replacement, there seems a procedure that technician should have followed to retain all the memories, there is a waiting period after ignition off to save the memory before disconnecting the battery.
Old 03-24-19, 11:52 AM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Just recently got mine done, the leather trim on drive side center console was a bit off, which I've pushed through and it got into place. Besides this, didn't notice any other issues. Got a full tank of gas as a courtesy.
Old 03-24-19, 11:55 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by HedgeFund
Just recently got mine done, the leather trim on drive side center console was a bit off, which I've pushed through and it got into place. Besides this, didn't notice any other issues. Got a full tank of gas as a courtesy.
Which dealer did you take it too?
Old 03-24-19, 12:11 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751

Which dealer did you take it too?
I took it to Lexus of Bellevue
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-24-19)
Old 03-24-19, 03:06 PM
Moonlite
Rookie

Originally Posted by hzhao
Not sure why dealer had to remove the top dash panels for this recall. Most I have known the recall involve of removing glove box and center console where Nav/Radio/AC control units (and associated panels at the shift area). As for the battery replacement, there seems a procedure that technician should have followed to retain all the memories, there is a waiting period after ignition off to save the memory before disconnecting the battery.
Dealer can save all the settings that’s why they changed 80 dollars labor for 10 minutes job. However they didn’t do their job right. I can do it without any problems but I’m afraid to lose my settings. I have been replaced 10 batteries car in my life without a single problem.
Old 03-25-19, 03:32 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts
Default airbag recall performed on 2014 GX460

for 2014 GX460.
Received recall letter 3/18/2019, called Lexus dealer 3/19, and replaced the passenger side airbag 3/22. Noticed that dealer filled up the gas tank in addition to car wash.
Old 03-25-19, 02:11 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Left side top speaker

i noticed a gap on my drivers side too with the dash and speaker. i don't know if it has always been like this or not, the gap on the passenger side does look much smaller.i don't know if its worth my time though to take it back in
Old 03-25-19, 07:49 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Will have mine 2015 done tomorrow but I checked the gaps and they're there. I have never opened the dash. See pics

The following users liked this post:
leftyguns (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 09:48 PM
Moonlite
Rookie

Originally Posted by leftyguns
i noticed a gap on my drivers side too with the dash and speaker. i don't know if it has always been like this or not, the gap on the passenger side does look much smaller.i don't know if its worth my time though to take it back in
Yes, they’re not even after they put them back. It kind of irritated when it’s in Front of my eyes all the time. Dealer is just 15’ away from me.
Old 03-27-19, 12:42 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes, they’re not even after they put them back. It kind of irritated when it’s in Front of my eyes all the time. Dealer is just 15’ away from me.
DAMN IT. Just got mine done and the gap is 3 times larger than original gap (see above).

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall