GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 07:21 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bd5400
Lexus does not manufacture airbags. Their ability to replace our airbags has absolutely nothing to do with their priorities. Lexus isn't the only brand dealing with this either and many others are waiting as well, including BMW.
I believe it does. Every new Lexus on the lot has new airbags in it. Lexus buys airbags like anybody else. Why can't they buy us some damned airbags?

Frankly I don't care about what troubles BMW is having.

I understand that there are millions of airbags around the world that need to be replaced, but manufacturing airbags is no new thing. And the takata recall is no new thing either, other marques have been refitting cars since 2013. A few months wait, maybe four or five, I get it. But 6+months with no end in sight? At some point their vehicles no longer become fit for their intended purpose beyond a simple repair.
The following users liked this post:
kbyer (03-02-17)
Old 02-01-17, 08:56 AM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
I believe it does. Every new Lexus on the lot has new airbags in it. Lexus buys airbags like anybody else. Why can't they buy us some damned airbags?

Frankly I don't care about what troubles BMW is having.

I understand that there are millions of airbags around the world that need to be replaced, but manufacturing airbags is no new thing. And the takata recall is no new thing either, other marques have been refitting cars since 2013. A few months wait, maybe four or five, I get it. But 6+months with no end in sight? At some point their vehicles no longer become fit for their intended purpose beyond a simple repair.
I can't say I understand your misplaced outrage.
Old 02-06-17, 05:32 AM
GXdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone received an update from Lexus? My local dealership doesn't have any information on this.

Thanks
Old 02-06-17, 09:22 AM
daman7676
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GXdriver
Has anyone received an update from Lexus? My local dealership doesn't have any information on this.

Thanks
I called the main Lexus customer service line and was told "Q1 of this year" but ultimately gave no promises. It sounds like Lexus has no clue to be honest.
Craigyyy (02-06-17)
Old 02-06-17, 11:49 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by daman7676
I called the main Lexus customer service line and was told "Q1 of this year" but ultimately gave no promises. It sounds like Lexus has no clue to be honest.
At least that's something. If I had an airbag by March 31 I'd be very happy. But given that we're almost halfway through Q1, perhaps that is some false hope.

Very, very early I heard that this process would take a few months. Almost immediately after hearing that it switched to year end, but they couldn't make any guarantees.

Ultimately though I get the same impression as you though, that Lexus has zero clue.
Old 02-13-17, 05:08 AM
lexstone
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are on our third rental vehicle from Enterprise as they have sold the first two rentals.
Old 02-13-17, 09:38 AM
daman7676
Driver

Originally Posted by lexstone
We are on our third rental vehicle from Enterprise as they have sold the first two rentals.
Do they keep giving you the same vehicle brand/model/type or do they change it up each time?
Old 02-13-17, 09:41 AM
daman7676
Driver

By the way, if no one is sitting in the passenger seat, should the passenger airbag be on or should it be off? I know the light switches to off when the vehicle senses that there is a light load in the seat.

If it's supposed to still be on, passengers in the rear (and driver I'm guessing) are still susceptible to being hit be debris, right? Shouldn't it be off?
Old 02-13-17, 04:02 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

The front passenger air bag is not active while unoccupied.

The following 3 users liked this post by tecman:
Acrad (04-02-19), Craigyyy (02-15-17), daman7676 (02-14-17)
Old 02-14-17, 11:07 AM
daman7676
Driver

You are the man tecman! I guess I never noticed the "ON" indicator light. Thanks for confirming that. I do feel better about it now.
Old 02-15-17, 07:13 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

A couple weeks ago an official memo apparently came down from Lexus/Toyota re the airbag situation. I got to see it at my last dealer visit to renew my loaner paperwork but I was unfortunately not allowed to make a copy or take a picture. Next time anybody makes a dealer visit I highly encourage pestering them to see the memo and try to get us a copy!

For us, we are looking at June 30, 2017 for airbag recalls to start on 2010 GX and September 30, 2017 for 2011 GX. Also on the memo was 2006-2009 models which should start on March 31, 2017. They also had a replacement schedule for later model years with dates going through 2020, so for those with newer trucks it might be a very long time, though recall notices for the later models won't go out for some time as well.

Within each category there was a completion goal of x% in the first quarter, x% in second quarter, etc. So even if replacements begin on June 30, 2017 for your 2010, you might not get a call for a couple few months.

This would put us at over a year from notice to completion, best case scenario. For 2011s it could easily be a year and a half in total. But at least there is a scheduled plan in place, and at the end of March, early April we will hopefully see some IS, ES, SC owners getting replacement airbags.
daman7676 (02-15-17)
Old 02-15-17, 08:20 AM
Twelve1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 2013 Toyota 4Runner that i traded in for a new GX recently and just got a letter from toyota to change out my airbag for the T4R
Old 03-02-17, 01:30 PM
kbyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigyyy
A couple weeks ago an official memo apparently came down from Lexus/Toyota re the airbag situation. I got to see it at my last dealer visit to renew my loaner paperwork but I was unfortunately not allowed to make a copy or take a picture. Next time anybody makes a dealer visit I highly encourage pestering them to see the memo and try to get us a copy!

For us, we are looking at June 30, 2017 for airbag recalls to start on 2010 GX and September 30, 2017 for 2011 GX. Also on the memo was 2006-2009 models which should start on March 31, 2017. They also had a replacement schedule for later model years with dates going through 2020, so for those with newer trucks it might be a very long time, though recall notices for the later models won't go out for some time as well.

Within each category there was a completion goal of x% in the first quarter, x% in second quarter, etc. So even if replacements begin on June 30, 2017 for your 2010, you might not get a call for a couple few months.

This would put us at over a year from notice to completion, best case scenario. For 2011s it could easily be a year and a half in total. But at least there is a scheduled plan in place, and at the end of March, early April we will hopefully see some IS, ES, SC owners getting replacement airbags.
I saw the information that you are talking about. You can find it on the NHTSB site. It is what they are telling the car manufacturers that they have to comply with. You can also find the completion rates for each car manufacturer updated every day. I have 2008 ES and live in SC. The give a date of 3/31/17 for the car manufacturers to "have a remedy and sufficient supply" for Priority Group 4 of which I am a part of. They list the required percentages per quarter. I am not feeling confident that Lexus will have a fix for my car by the end of March!
Craigyyy (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 01:43 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Originally Posted by kbyer
I saw the information that you are talking about. You can find it on the NHTSB site. It is what they are telling the car manufacturers that they have to comply with. You can also find the completion rates for each car manufacturer updated every day. I have 2008 ES and live in SC. The give a date of 3/31/17 for the car manufacturers to "have a remedy and sufficient supply" for Priority Group 4 of which I am a part of. They list the required percentages per quarter. I am not feeling confident that Lexus will have a fix for my car by the end of March!
Can you post a link if possible? I am on NHTSB site and I keep getting "access denied." Thanks!!
Old 03-03-17, 08:14 AM
Craigyyy
Advanced

I found NHTSB materials.

The document I saw at Toyota appeared to be Lexus-specific, prepared by Toyota/Lexus but it contained all of the same dates for the vehicles in each priority group.

Whether or not Lexus can meet those dates is another story. :P
kbyer (03-03-17)

Quick Reply: 2010-2017 GX Regional Airbag Recall