GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

OEM Fog Install in GX460 Base?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-18, 06:48 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Divad
I already got the new light switch and fog lights just need some directions on how to install it.
Not sure if the light harnesses are there for OEM fog lights if the GX is the base model. Basically, you will have to remove the entire front grill in order to install the fog light assembly. pretty involved. Best suggestion is to get a two days Toyota TIS subscription for $15, you should be able to get all the necessary information.
Old 07-29-18, 05:30 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Fog lights for GX460 base

Hi,
I have 2017 base model GX460 that didn't come with fog lights. I checked online and found two part numbers 81220-60110 and 81210-60190.
Does anyone know what else do I need to purchase and how would I connect it to interior switch of some sort, which I don't have right now?
Thank you in advance.
Old 07-29-18, 08:41 PM
JDMUSCLE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Those part numbers seem like they are just for the light assembly. You’ll need the bezel that accommodates the fog light on the bumper. Light switch (maybe buy a turn signal stalk that’s used in a premium?).
The following users liked this post:
PapaLeo (07-29-18)
Old 07-29-18, 08:52 PM
PapaLeo
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 2017 base GX without fog lights and was wondering if there is there anyone who was able to replicate MyGX460 approach and installed fog lights on their GX?
Do you have a list of part numbers that I would need to purchase?
Old 07-30-18, 07:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

There is a light control ECU may need to be changed as well.
Old 12-19-18, 08:15 PM
bagom
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fog lights

Thanks to everyone helping me on past questions. I ended up getting a 2018 base. It had almost everything I wanted (nav, front and back parking sensors, hitch and upgraded rims) except for fog lights. I have read some old posts about adding fog lights. I would rather add OEM fog lights. Is it as simple as installing the lights and a new stalk for the fog lights control?

Last edited by bagom; 12-19-18 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-18, 05:53 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,646 Likes on 2,388 Posts

You probably saw this thread for aftermarket.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...og-lights.html

The OEM setup is pretty costly... looks like "each" lamp alone is $630 and then another $40 or so for surrounding trim. I though these LEDs fogs on '14+ might be auto leveling as well...but I could be wrong.

https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts-...html?PNC=81220
Old 12-20-18, 05:57 AM
John00
Racer

Received 373 Likes on 284 Posts

I would skip the stalk, either wire to the headlights, to IGN, or to an RF remote depending on when you want them on and off. Then no firewall passing or ripping into the wheel, and you can get them to work as you like if its different than OEM. I have mine on an RF remote and no probs, default is on. I only needed to turn off for a certain specific application which no longer exists, so now same as to IGN used with my DRLs.
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (12-20-18)
Old 06-10-19, 03:42 PM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts
Default aftermarket fog light setup

my GX did not come with the factory fog lights which I am fine with, so I am in the market for some after market ones. I wanted to get an idea from others who have them what their set up is like and what they learned.
I want amber for a few reasons. its near impossible to match the factory headlights, plus amber is best for snow/rain conditions that I drive in. I was looking at these
baja baja
designs and tuck them behind the front grill. I saw that there is a metal support beam and was thinking I could mount here. for those who have done that, did you have to remove the front bumper? does the grill block the light beam? do they get too hot sitting there?
wiring them up is the easy part and I have multiple blank spaces for a switch. for now all I have planned is the front fogs but in the future I will add some reverse lights.
Old 06-10-19, 07:11 PM
John00
Racer

depends on what you want out of the light. ive done a few different versions. i wouldnt get amber just for snow/rain. its not really better. but if you like the look then sure. you can match the stock 4300 hid or even halogen if you want.
a lot of people like the morimotos which are pretty good, then you can add the yellow filter.
could also get some OEMs and add yellow leds.

if you want more light on the road, then projector types, specifically hid bi xenon 3" are great. this is good for highways and dark country roads
if you want more light all over, then OEM with a 4 side bulb works awesome. cars will hurry to get out of the way. high signs also look super bright
if you want to see the sides, ditches, road edge for high speed, then oem with a high power led is good
if you want to use in real fog, for going slow and watching the road edge to not get off track, then oem with a low power bulb is good. in this case you might even want to wire them to be on without the headlights
Old 06-11-19, 11:23 AM
leftyguns
Intermediate

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

thanks! this is what I am mostly looking for. dark roads
these
Morimoto's Morimoto's
say GX 10-14, I could not find any for the 15' (my model)
directly on their site it just says generic Lexus and plug n play. since I do not have the factory fogs I will still need to wire them up.
I wont be able to use the factory location without lots of modifying or additional parts so I am not too worried about the factory look. just something I can use sparingly when I get in dark conditions and headlights aren't cutting it

Originally Posted by John00

if you want more light on the road, then projector types, specifically hid bi xenon 3" are great. this is good for highways and dark country roads
Old 06-11-19, 05:52 PM
John00
Racer

heres an example of the 3" bixenons.
i still plan to add more info, just haven been adding info as i work in it
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10474697

about here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10376419
theres some shots of different bulbs in eom type fog housings.
Old 08-19-19, 05:43 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Can anyone tell me how you turn the fog lights on in a GX460 that has OEM fog lights? In my old 2002 Nissan Altima, all you had to do to add fog lights was remove the factory light stalk switch and install one with a fog light switch from a higher model. All the wiring was there and it was just plug and play, I am curious if the GX is similar?
Bump... Can anyone else comment on this? Just picked up a Base and would like to add some foglights to my 2016.
Old 08-19-19, 06:45 AM
John00
Racer

if the gx has oem fogs, then the light switch the controls the lights also controls the fogs. there's a position on the **** to set it to. you will need the regular lights on for the fogs to work. if you want the fogs on without the regular lights you need to install a jumper.
Old 08-19-19, 07:20 AM
Chasin
Pit Crew

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by John00
if the gx has oem fogs, then the light switch the controls the lights also controls the fogs. there's a position on the **** to set it to. you will need the regular lights on for the fogs to work. if you want the fogs on without the regular lights you need to install a jumper.
Appreciate the response. Do you know if the base models without the fogs come with the wiring and harness pre-installed?

Quick Reply: OEM Fog Install in GX460 Base?