GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX-460 Door Actuator Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 09:25 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

For those that are still unsure what we are talking about goto around 17:33 in the video

The following 2 users liked this post by Acrad:
GB2011GX (07-27-20), TXGSF (09-17-20)
Old 07-25-20, 07:17 AM
KRG3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyH
Thanks for the write up. I have a 2011 gx460 and the rear door actuator is working just fine. I got the front passenger side door actuator replaced last week and it’s not too bad of the job. However, my rear door latch was kinda stuck. When you open it up you have to push it back to the position. It still opens the rear door just fine bur it annoys me sometimes since I have to push it back everytime I open the rear door. Anybody run into the similar issues and know how to fix this? Note that my rear door actuator is still working fine though

Did you ever find a solution to this?
Old 09-17-20, 12:38 PM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2014 with 100K miles on it. Both from actuators have failed. I haven't replaced them because I don't want to spend the cash at the dealership. I'm hoping to do it myself soon. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 09-17-20, 01:06 PM
TXGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the video. Very helpful.
The following users liked this post:
GB2011GX (09-17-20)
Old 09-17-20, 01:38 PM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Did you go to Actuators Plus to order your part? Best service, price, reliable parts & shipping.
hzhao (09-17-20)
Old 12-10-20, 06:57 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Received 195 Likes on 113 Posts

I appreciate all the good info on this thread, I will be using it as reference when replacing my failed actuators. Question for the group, what trim removal tools do you use? Is there a specific kit or do you just get some plastic putty knives of various sizes?

Thx
Old 12-10-20, 07:03 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 982 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by xychromo
I appreciate all the good info on this thread, I will be using it as reference when replacing my failed actuators. Question for the group, what trim removal tools do you use? Is there a specific kit or do you just get some plastic putty knives of various sizes?

Thx
This is similar to what I am using:
Amazon Amazon
Old 12-10-20, 07:53 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Great thanks hzhao
Old 12-16-20, 04:18 PM
xychromo
Intermediate

Thanks to the info in this thread, along with the mentioned youtube videos, I was able to replace both door actuators (using reconditioned actuators from actuatorplus on ebay) and save a whopping $1180 as my Lexus dealer quoted me $1280 to do the job.

The only issue I have is that for the passenger side door, the door handle doesn't completely engage the door release. The interior door handle opens the door fine, however when using the exterior door handle, the door opens but catches on the latch, and you need to pull again on the door handle to open the door, essentially an annoying 2 step process. So there is something about the exterior door handle not completely disengaging the door latch. Any ideas what this could be due to? It didn't happen with the old actuator, so I'll assuming it something with the new actuator or about my install. I'll contact actuatorplus if I can't figure it out.

Last edited by xychromo; 12-17-20 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-17-20, 05:40 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to the info in this thread, along with the mentioned youtube videos, I was able to replace both door actuators (using reconditioned actuators from actuatorplus on ebay) and save a whopping $1180 as my Lexus dealer quoted me $11280 to do the job.

The only issue I have is that for the passenger side door, the door handle doesn't completely engage the door release. The interior door handle opens the door fine, however when using the exterior door handle, the door opens but catches on the latch, and you need to pull again on the door handle to open the door, essentially an annoying 2 step process. So there is something about the exterior door handle not completely disengaging the door latch. Any ideas what this could be due to? It didn't happen with the old actuator, so I'll assuming it something with the new actuator or about my install. I'll contact actuatorplus if I can't figure it out.
sounds like the cable is not seated properly on the inside. Take the door panel back off and make sure it’s ‘clicked’ in position... just a thought.
Old 12-17-20, 05:48 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by emg2919
sounds like the cable is not seated properly on the inside. Take the door panel back off and make sure it’s ‘clicked’ in position... just a thought.
Yeah, I did that, all cables seated appropriately. Those cables only control the interior handle and electric lock mechanism, from what I can tell. The exterior handle is a separate mechanism and connects to that metal rod that goes through the bottom hole of the actuator, I made sure that was seated correctly as well, like I did on the drivers side door. It seems to me that there may be an issue with that part of the replacement actuator itself?
Old 12-17-20, 05:56 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm, ok. So you seated that metal piece of the exterior handle into the actuator? Something going on with the child lock? Could be an issue with the actuator itself like you mentioned. I'm not sure the required power voltage to test it, but that could be an option.
Old 12-24-20, 07:12 AM
xychromo
Intermediate

Yeah, I did that, all cables seated appropriately. Those cables only control the interior handle and electric lock mechanism, from what I can tell. The exterior handle is a separate mechanism and connects to that metal rod that goes through the bottom hole of the actuator, I made sure that was seated correctly as well, like I did on the drivers side door. It seems to me that there may be an issue with that part of the replacement actuator itself?
Update: Lenny from actuatorplus sent me a replacement actuator which ended up working perfectly. So it looks like the issue was the original actuator they sent me, the lower arm that engages the metal rod connected to the exterior door handle was not working properly, you could hear a clicking when engaged, unlike the replacement unit, so must be a slipped gear or something not engaging in that lower arm. So both door locks are now working and I am still basking in the glow of saving over $1000 by avoiding a dealership fix!

Big thumbs up for the great customer service from Actuatorplus on Ebay. Lenny responded quickly to my messages and sent me out a replacement unit via 2 day delivery.
Acrad (12-24-20)
Old 01-14-21, 07:18 AM
jsidesjr
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am the original owner of a 2013 GX450. It has never been exposed to water immersion other than normal car wash and rain (I live in Arizona).

I replaced driver door actuator actuator at 28,000 miles covered by warranty, passenger door at 37000 miles my expense, both back passenger doors at approximately 90,000 miles, driver door again at 105,000 miles and rear hatch door at 112,000 miles. My independent repairman told me he has replaced numerous actuators on the GX as well as 4Runners.
Old 01-22-21, 03:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Quick Reply: GX-460 Door Actuator Failure