GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 08:00 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

My personal experience has been that tire/alignment places seem to half *** the job. It's really dependent on who has the shift that day, even if they have quality equipment. I've had to take a car back numerous times because the alignment was so off. A lot of those places don't hire real career-type technicians.

It's happened enough that I almost exclusively go to a dealer now because they at least seem to do it right the first time. Its not worth my time or frustration to have to go back.

Maybe also just call a few Toyota dealers as well and compare their prices.

Also, my theory on alignments is don't fix it if it's not broken. Unless the car is badly pulling to one side, you have wear on your tires that indicates the alignment is off or just did something like change your tie rods, I'd leave it alone.
Old 02-15-18, 09:49 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

For the guys buying lifetime alignments, are you getting print outs? Sometimes these only include toe adjustments and they charge extra for the caster/camber.
Old 02-15-18, 12:02 PM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
For the guys buying lifetime alignments, are you getting print outs? Sometimes these only include toe adjustments and they charge extra for the caster/camber.
I was given a print out and it included camber, toe and the more difficult caster adjustments. Definitely do some research to find a highly recommended shop. The first shop I took the truck, where i've been going for 20+ years told me that caster was not adjustable...DOH!

Last edited by spd33; 02-15-18 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 03:53 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
My personal experience has been that tire/alignment places seem to half *** the job. It's really dependent on who has the shift that day, even if they have quality equipment. I've had to take a car back numerous times because the alignment was so off. A lot of those places don't hire real career-type technicians.

It's happened enough that I almost exclusively go to a dealer now because they at least seem to do it right the first time. Its not worth my time or frustration to have to go back.

Maybe also just call a few Toyota dealers as well and compare their prices.

Also, my theory on alignments is don't fix it if it's not broken. Unless the car is badly pulling to one side, you have wear on your tires that indicates the alignment is off or just did something like change your tie rods, I'd leave it alone.
You're right about inconsistency result from those alignment shops. Nothing's wrong with the GX at the moment and the tires are wearing good. I just have a habit of getting an alignment done every 2 years or so on most of my car. I probably just hold off until I get new tires then.
Old 02-15-18, 04:35 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
You're right about inconsistency result from those alignment shops. Nothing's wrong with the GX at the moment and the tires are wearing good. I just have a habit of getting an alignment done every 2 years or so on most of my car. I probably just hold off until I get new tires then.
I usually do every couple years myself... GX is tracking straight down the road, no pull either way and tires wearing nicely so I will wait.

I have a BF Goodrich shop I usually goto. They seem to have one of these machines described above as lots of laser's, mirrors and detailed vehicle specific print-outs about everything front and rear on the alignment before and after. I've never had to take a car back so I can't complain.
Old 02-15-18, 04:45 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

I have put 70+k miles on my GX and only had 2 alignments done. One with my new wheels and 2nd was needed with bad tread wear.
Old 02-15-18, 04:53 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by bbqsoup
I would personally hold off, just don't think alignments need to be done that often but the roads in my area aren't bad. I've gone really long stretches without getting alignments and haven't had a problem.

I'm all for preventative maintenance, but I honestly think its far more likely for a shop to get it wrong than when it came in than just leaving it as is if everything seems fine.

You would think with modern equipment an alignment would be pretty idiot proof, but I've brought a car in several different times and it came out far worse.

Last edited by BradTank; 02-15-18 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 05:24 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 862 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I would personally hold off, just don't think alignments need to be done that often but the roads in my area aren't bad. I've gone really long stretches without getting alignments and haven't had a problem.

I'm all for preventative maintenance, but I honestly think its far more likely for a shop to get it wrong than when it came in than just leaving it as is if everything seems fine.

You would think with modern equipment an alignment would be pretty idiot proof, but I've brought a car in several different times and it came out far worse.
I have experienced this with my frustration with wheel balance. I went in to a shop for an oil change and rotation recently and was asked if I wanted a balance. I informed them that no one can seem to get it right and was told they would focus on this problem. I left the shop and regret letting them balance the wheels .... Worse than when I brought it in now.
Old 02-16-18, 09:44 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cicio
+1 Firestone lifetime alignment
Same here. I take all my vehicles for alignment check on every second rotation. That is 10k miles. I am putting 22 k /year on my GX and 35k/ yr on my LS. Firestone lifetime alignment is awesome . I would be buying the same package for my LX once it crosses 20k
Old 08-14-18, 06:59 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I’m experiencing same problem. Does anyone know if this is covered by warranty? Is this something that should be done by Lexus or any equipped shop should be able to do it?
Thanks.

Last edited by 1111GS; 08-14-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 07:28 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I’m experiencing same problem. Does anyone know if this is covered by warranty? Is this something that should be done by Lexus or any equipped shop should be able to do it?
Thanks.
If you are still under factory warranty or CPO warranty then yes. I had something similar when new and it was due to the 'rotation of the tires'. They needed to be rotated back to front. After another 5k miles another front to back. After that normal rotation was utilized and it is just fine. Personally I think the tires sucked, but YMMV
Old 08-14-18, 11:49 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

FYI, the GX460 is a solid rear axle. You can't align a solid rear axle. Only the front can be aligned. If you have a printout, it should tell you the optimal spec and the current spec.
Originally Posted by BigRick82
That's not true. You still have to make sure the axle is straight itself... You wouldn't want to be driving down the road sideways.. I hate seeing the side of a car from the back going down the road lol. Either the rear is not straight or frame damage. I hate this on 18 wheeler trailers too!
I'm not trying to argue with a world record holder, just trying to learn so that when I put my GX on the rack to do an alignment, I know where the rear axle points are. Thanks for your help BigRick82
Originally Posted by BigRick82
On the Solid Rear Axle you cannot adjust anything other than making sure the rear end is square and centered. If it is not then offset bushings would have to be used.
@BigRick82 Do you have a part number for these bushings? For anyone else reading this, the rear does not have any adjustment points (on factory suspension).
Old 08-14-18, 07:42 PM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't own a GX yet, but I test drove a 2012 one today (my first time behind the wheel of a GX). I also noticed it was pulling to the right on its own. I did another test by braking with my hands off the steering wheel and it still veered to the right (doesn't brake straight). I thought it was my imagination, but now I am reading this thread I think my observations were correct.
Old 08-14-18, 08:52 PM
HedgeFund
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I've test drove 6 GX460s in the last month and almost all had same issue. The one I finally got also had similar issue, but obviously dealer blamed it on uneven roads.
The following users liked this post:
cancruiser (08-14-18)
Old 08-14-18, 09:20 PM
cancruiser
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HedgeFund
I've test drove 6 GX460s in the last month and almost all had same issue. The one I finally got also had similar issue, but obviously dealer blamed it on uneven roads.
Thanks for the reply.
Must have been the same dealer I went to today. He blamed it on an uneven roads too.
Makes me wonder, why didn't he just admit it's a problem with the vehicle, or just stay quiet if he doesn't know the cause.
What a bunch of low-life liars!! They just want to sell cars!!

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns