GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-20, 01:26 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

I always remember reading similar issues on the 4runner forums. This has always stuck with me since both the 4r and the GX have similar issues. Apparently you can solve it by going with maximum caster, but you need aftermarket control arms. None of mine are lifted with aftermarket CA's so I can't try it out.

Post for reference.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/818058-post26.html
Old 09-11-20, 08:26 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Lexus TSB - L-SB-0023-20 - Vehicle Pull, Steering Wheel Off Center, and Alignment Best Practices

The following 4 users liked this post by Acrad:
bbqsoup (12-15-20), pacnwatx (06-05-23), robert1408 (07-13-22), skeener (11-27-23)
Old 09-11-20, 09:18 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 129 Likes on 98 Posts

soo what does mean? because mine pulls to the right.
Old 09-12-20, 04:19 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
soo what does mean? because mine pulls to the right.
Additional discussion about pulling right here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10888074
Old 09-15-20, 04:47 PM
abudiman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Update from my last post.
I skipped all alignment because it a waste of money.
Here is the following remedy for GX460. And the car will drive like a glass surface road.

1. Steering pulled to right again after a few months and tires were eaten on the outside.
Remedy: Bought a Spacer from an Australian Company with a branch in Florida
https://www.dobinsonsdirect.com/
2. Replace Both Rear Strut OEM
3. Replace Passenger Rear Spring (So much stress Lean on Passenger made this spring weaker) OEM
4. Replace Passenger Front Spring (So much stress Lean on Passenger made this spring weaker) OEM
5. Replace Lower Control Arm especially after 50K miles (removes side to side fibration over 70mph) OEM
6. Replace Upper Control Arm with this IRONMAN (This Eliminate the vibration from highway curve aver 60 mph)
https://ironman4x4america.com/toyota...-control-arms/
7. Replace CV Joint if necessary (accelerate drone noise over 60 mph) OEM
8 Replace Front Sway Bar Bushing total 4 pcs (tighter corner) OEM
9. Replace Inner and Outer Tie Rod (accelerate drone noise over 60 mph) OEM

Finally Wheel Alignment
I hope this help
Old 10-20-20, 02:00 PM
BUZY3215
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All that to correct the alignment issue...ugh...well I saw that maybe caster adjustment might work. I'm gonna see if I can "tweak" that before having to replace all that. My '18 only has 17K miles so it's still pretty much brand new.
Old 12-15-20, 11:17 AM
DT89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UAE off road spec

Bought a new GX 460 in the UAE with a dealer fitted off road package (lifted + BFGoodrich Baja wheels). The car starting pulling hard to the right within the first month or so. Given it was brand new, drove it carefully with no off roading. Took it to the dealership, they managed to fix most of the pull but not all of it - still drifts to the right. Given my truck had 3,000 kms on the dial when I took it to the dealership to get fixed, I am not sure I should accept it as a norm. It is quite clear reading the thread that it is a common issue. My biggest concern is whether the alignment they have performed now (albeit not perfect) will fix the issue or whether it will be recurring every couple months.
Old 10-29-21, 09:46 PM
nekoni
10th Gear

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

My 2022 black line has exact pull right problem since the 1st day I picked it.
I have to all the way set the steering wheel at 11:45ish to keep it going straight.
Will let dealer aligns it on first service.
Old 12-19-21, 04:07 AM
Zayn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I ended up fixing this issue on my 18 gx. First, I had to get an alignment done at a 3rd party. The real reason it pulls is that the tires that are installed have radial pull defects. Same tires on any other car this won't appear. The gx will magnify the slightest radial pull defect on tires. I had all 4 tires replaced with quality ones that are not OEM. Even then it was pulling. I told the tire shop which new tire I think is causing it. He did not believe me. I showed him and we determined the unaerodynamic shape of gx will magnify the radial pull. Once we swapped that tire it was driving with no pulling, the first time since taking off the lot with zeros miles it would drive straight. I believe that alot of tires have very minor defects that are not an issue unless the car is not good with wind anyways like the gx.
Old 12-20-21, 07:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I fixed my issue by driving on the flattest part of the road.
Old 07-09-22, 07:55 PM
Jmrc2019
2nd gear

Default Lexus GX460 2022

Originally Posted by nekoni
My 2022 black line has exact pull right problem since the 1st day I picked it.
I have to all the way set the steering wheel at 11:45ish to keep it going straight.
Will let dealer aligns it on first service.

hi! I just bought my 2022 GX 460 and it also pulls to the right. I am wondering if you Still have that issue or was the dealer able to fix it? Also did they mention why a brand new car would have that issue ? Any feedback will help. Very frustrated about this pulling to the right
Old 07-09-22, 11:09 PM
nekoni
10th Gear

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmrc2019
hi! I just bought my 2022 GX 460 and it also pulls to the right. I am wondering if you Still have that issue or was the dealer able to fix it? Also did they mention why a brand new car would have that issue ? Any feedback will help. Very frustrated about this pulling to the right
Went to dealer had them done the alignment and the rotation, but the pull right issue is still exist. I was told everything is on perfectly specs and there’s nothing else they can do. They did mentioned it’s a very common issue on GX. So I had to convinced myself that our car’s hydraulic power steering is a bit sensitive for tires and road surfaces. My car came with the Bridgestone tires. Hopefully a good set of Michelin will solve the problem.
Old 07-09-22, 11:29 PM
Jmrc2019
2nd gear

Originally Posted by nekoni
Went to dealer had them done the alignment and the rotation, but the pull right issue is still exist. I was told everything is on perfectly specs and there’s nothing else they can do. They did mentioned it’s a very common issue on GX. So I had to convinced myself that our car’s hydraulic power steering is a bit sensitive for tires and road surfaces. My car came with the Bridgestone tires. Hopefully a good set of Michelin will solve the problem.

thank you so much for responding back! I am also going to take the car to the dealer and see what they say at my dealer. But I think it could be a common issue maybe a lot of people don’t notice because you got to let go of the steering wheel to really notice and most people don’t do that lol . I think your comment on the hydraulic power steering could be the issue. At the end of the day it could just be the road crown on the streets or highways. My brother has the Range Rover and he mentioned it also happens on his car after driving 50-100 feet. But once you change your tires let me know if that fixes it and I will do the same. Again I appreciate you responding to me
Old 07-10-22, 06:46 AM
tntcandy
Intermediate

Received 230 Likes on 139 Posts

Funny, or not funny, I'm dealing with same issue, the cross swapped the 2 front tires at last visit, but still pulls to the right, I was also told that it is normal, but I have hard time believing that.

The GX got teh Dunlop Grandtrek so it by reading this it sound like it is not tire specific but rather design issue

Just emailed that it is still pulling so lets see if they will check the alignment or not
Old 07-10-22, 07:03 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Michelin Defenders track extremely well. Beyond that why did Lexus square off the GX460 steering wheel horn cover (versus the more rounded GX470) ...it excentuates this problem visually !#!.

Last edited by ASE; 07-10-22 at 07:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns