GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 02:16 PM
paperhunter2000
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Purchased a new 2023 GX460 early July. Not sure whats going on at the Tahara plant in Japan but they let this one get away. Since day one it drifted to the right especially at highway speeds. Took it to the dealer at ~350m and they realigned. Vehicle tracks straight now. See alignment output before/after..

The following users liked this post:
pacnwatx (08-01-23)
Old 07-31-23, 04:34 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
Angry

okay so, the vibrations and off center steering got worse ( again ) .. so took it in for a road force and alignment ( getting really tired of throwing money at this now.. this is the 2nd time I've had to do this within ~7K miles / 8 month period )

3 days and ~50 miles later, the vibration ( 55-70 mph ) is back again.. and the alignment seems off .. again!.. Going back tomorrow..

Results below..

Pre and Post alignment print out July 2023
Old 07-31-23, 05:38 PM
Bergy24
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

We bought a 23 GX about a month ago and have about 600 miles on it. From the beginning the steering wheel has been turned to to left slightly when going straight. It may have pulled to the right slightly too, but due to crappy Pa. Roads it is hard to tell sometimes. We made an appointment with our dealer and I let them know up front that I don’t just want the measurements in the green, I want them as perfect as possible as well as a straight steering wheel. I also asked for the most experienced alignment tech which happened to be the shop foreman. I asked for him to review the “before” alignment measurements with me and give me his goal to meet. Based on other answers on here, I had a good idea what those numbers should be. Below is my before and after. The GX was definitely out from day one. The new measurements look pretty good to me and it does not pull to either side. The shop foreman and I took a ride and I noticed the steering wheel slightly to the left still. He took it back in and made a slight adjustment. I only test drove it for a few miles but it seemed centered and didn’t pull. My wife drove it about 45 minutes home and said everything is good now. We leave for a 400+ mile trip this week, so I’ll get to test it out more then.

How do the new numbers look to everyone?

2023 Spec

after final adjustments

Last edited by Bergy24; 07-31-23 at 05:52 PM.
pacnwatx (08-01-23)
Old 07-31-23, 11:31 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

how do the new numbers look to everyone
Caster and camber numbers look good, only difference between first and second set of numbers is a steering wheel centering adjustment.
Bergy24 (08-01-23)
Old 07-31-23, 11:35 PM
mike202
Pit Crew

A few comments:

1. Misalignment will not cause a vibration.
2. New alignment numbers are not good, caster should be reversed left/right. Current results indicate vehicle will pull right. Also total toe is excessive.
m5rahul (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 02:59 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by mike202
A few comments:

2. New alignment numbers are not good, caster should be reversed left/right. Current results indicate vehicle will pull right. Also total toe is excessive.
who’s post are you referring to?
Old 08-01-23, 05:17 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Bergy24
who’s post are you referring to?
I was referring to post number 227
m5rahul (08-01-23)
Old 08-01-23, 07:59 AM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike202
A few comments:

The vibration is probably due to bad balancing ( tires, wheels, brakes, suspension all good.. checked ) and I agree on the alignment assessment.. the car is pulling to the right and I have to compensate by tilting the steering excessively to the left..

Going back to the dealer today, and have requested a test drive with their most experienced wheel alignment tech..
Old 08-01-23, 08:32 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by m5rahul
The vibration is probably due to bad balancing ( tires, wheels, brakes, suspension all good.. checked ) and I agree on the alignment assessment.. the car is pulling to the right and I have to compensate by tilting the steering excessively to the left..

Going back to the dealer today, and have requested a test drive with their most experienced wheel alignment tech..
Refer to my post with the specs and have them make the right caster a little higher than the left to compensate for the crown.
Old 08-01-23, 03:27 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

okay back from the dealership, and well.. lol.. I think they've hired a bunch of no or very little experience techs!

Firstly, I had requested to be set up with their most experienced wheel alignment tech ( requested this twice. once over the phone and then followed by a text to my assigned service rep ) and still ended up getting the same tech who had worked on the GX earlier!

Anywho, went on a test drive and he acknowledged the alignment was off but didn't really feel the vibration ( I literally could see the damn steering vibrate!!! ) and he was like ' oh this is normal '.. No it ain't!!
He agreed to look in to the balancing and would re-do the alignment. @Bergy24 I asked him to refer to your print out and looks like he did, and it has helped. Thanks! As for the balancing, he said he put the two high value (road balance.. I believe one was 21 and the other 25 ) tires at the back and that should help..

As for the vibration, he mentioned the front rotors are warped ( funny though, last week they were, and I quote, 'like new' stated by the same tech! ) .. Been wanting do do the Power Stop Z36 ( front and rear ) anyway.. and hoping the vibration will be addressed with new brakes.

What an ordeal..
Old 08-01-23, 04:29 PM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by m5rahul
okay back from the dealership, and well.. lol.. I think they've hired a bunch of no or very little experience techs!

Firstly, I had requested to be set up with their most experienced wheel alignment tech ( requested this twice. once over the phone and then followed by a text to my assigned service rep ) and still ended up getting the same tech who had worked on the GX earlier!

Anywho, went on a test drive and he acknowledged the alignment was off but didn't really feel the vibration ( I literally could see the damn steering vibrate!!! ) and he was like ' oh this is normal '.. No it ain't!!
He agreed to look in to the balancing and would re-do the alignment. @Bergy24 I asked him to refer to your print out and looks like he did, and it has helped. Thanks! As for the balancing, he said he put the two high value (road balance.. I believe one was 21 and the other 25 ) tires at the back and that should help..

As for the vibration, he mentioned the front rotors are warped ( funny though, last week they were, and I quote, 'like new' stated by the same tech! ) .. Been wanting do do the Power Stop Z36 ( front and rear ) anyway.. and hoping the vibration will be addressed with new brakes.

What an ordeal..
I know how frustrating this is because I went through it with my 21 Tundra when they replaced the steering rack when it was only a couple months old. Not due to failure, but due to a recall. It took numerous times for them to get the alignment and steering wheel satisfactory. Don’t let up on this. Take it to another dealer if need be. Glad the info helped.
Old 12-25-23, 09:12 AM
joeker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Bergy24 did this resolve your issues? My 2023 Luxury had the same issues at 50 miles on the odo. The dealership redid the alignment and did say it was off spec. It was good for about a week and a half and its drifting right and I have to hold the steering wheel at 1130 to get it straight again. Trying to see if this was the fix or if I have to jump through hoops??

Originally Posted by Bergy24
We bought a 23 GX about a month ago and have about 600 miles on it. From the beginning the steering wheel has been turned to to left slightly when going straight. It may have pulled to the right slightly too, but due to crappy Pa. Roads it is hard to tell sometimes. We made an appointment with our dealer and I let them know up front that I don’t just want the measurements in the green, I want them as perfect as possible as well as a straight steering wheel. I also asked for the most experienced alignment tech which happened to be the shop foreman. I asked for him to review the “before” alignment measurements with me and give me his goal to meet. Based on other answers on here, I had a good idea what those numbers should be. Below is my before and after. The GX was definitely out from day one. The new measurements look pretty good to me and it does not pull to either side. The shop foreman and I took a ride and I noticed the steering wheel slightly to the left still. He took it back in and made a slight adjustment. I only test drove it for a few miles but it seemed centered and didn’t pull. My wife drove it about 45 minutes home and said everything is good now. We leave for a 400+ mile trip this week, so I’ll get to test it out more then.

How do the new numbers look to everyone?

2023 Spec

after final adjustments

Old 12-25-23, 09:16 AM
mike202
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by joeker
@Bergy24 did this resolve your issues? My 2023 Luxury had the same issues at 50 miles on the odo. The dealership redid the alignment and did say it was off spec. It was good for about a week and a half and its drifting right and I have to hold the steering wheel at 1130 to get it straight again. Trying to see if this was the fix or if I have to jump through hoops??
Post your alignment numbers if you have them

Old 12-25-23, 09:24 AM
Bergy24
Driver

Originally Posted by joeker
So far, it has worked well. The GX is definitely sensitive to alignment and from what I’ve read, adjusting the tie rods to center the wheel is a must.
Old 01-12-24, 05:55 PM
TN57
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Bought 2023 GX 460 and got alignment at 2100 miles

How does this first alignment look? Seems to drive a bit better than from the dealer but I would be interested in comments from those with technical experience. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns