GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 04:48 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 585 Posts

I'm not sure what is going on with this problem. Maybe it is the newer model? I have never had my truck aligned and the steering wheel is straight with no pull. Over 40,000 miles driven by me and I have hit some hard bumps.
Old 07-26-16, 02:59 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

My 2016 tracks straight on. Do you guys with constant issues have any print outs of your alignment? Have you tried a tire rotation (side to side or front to back)? Has the suspension been checked to make sure it is not loose or have any parts worn out?
Old 07-28-16, 12:09 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TXS3
... They re-aligned, better, but not completely straight.
Yes, they fixed to make it "Better" but it will be off again....
Old 08-01-16, 09:51 PM
FASTEDDY
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ive been thinking about this too, been told by many that its not worth it. especially since i'm rolling in 2003 GS. if someone told me about firestone when i bought my car then i think it would have been worth the extra cost. now, its probably better to replace my shocks/struts then get one alignment.
Old 08-02-16, 04:49 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

How much is lifetime alignment? If you are only driving on the road I can't see any reason it would need it that often. I literally can't remember the last time I had to have an alignment done. Maybe 30 yrpears ago...or more!
Old 08-02-16, 08:04 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by clickart
Thinking about getting a lifetime alignment at Firestone on the gx460 since my is pulling to the right. From what I read, we need an alignment every 10k or so on the GX in order to maintain a center steering wheel.
Depends on how good the firestone staff are about it and how long they last there. The way it works is that if your GX changes tires the lifetime part is gone. Plus if the staff get changed at the firestone they hassle you on the lifetime bit.I I`d say skip the lifetime alignment,unless you drive on **** poor roads everydays your not going to need an alignment until you get a new set of tires. Even then, by the time the GX needs a new set of tires most people just dont give a crap, since its seen some use, ehh.

TLR: If you plan on getting the lifetime service at any shop, you want to ask people you know how theyre experiences were thus far. For the most part, get one alignment every time you change tires.

Old 08-02-16, 09:42 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

I'd find out what kind of "alignment" it is. Some places will put in small print that the alignment is only being checked and adjustments are additional cost OR they will say toe only adjustment, camber/caster are extra.
Old 08-04-16, 06:20 PM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got this issue fixed over the weekend.

A Lexus master tech drove and tuned the alignment 3 times!! Put a total of 56 miles on my SUV. First time adjusted toe. Drove it and confirmed complaint, not going straight. Adjust toe and castors. Drove it and not going straight Cross rotated tires. Drove it, now it's good.
Old 08-15-16, 09:45 AM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

That's good to know. Ours seems to wander a bit on open, straight roads. It's always difficult to measure the impacts of wind and road grooves, but I've long suspected the alignment could be better.
Old 11-09-16, 01:21 PM
budman1
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is good to know. Our new 2017 GX tracks to the right a bit and going to have the dealer check the alignment. Hopefully, they can get it squared away pretty quickly.
Old 11-11-16, 06:44 AM
BigRick82
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned a few GX's; a '10,'13 and currently a '15 fully loaded that was decked out for the daughter of Ex-Gov of Tx (Rick Perry) who ended up not taking delivery, not one of them has ever had great alignment. After owning an 09 IS I also had alignment issues and steering wheels that were never straight. After a visit to a reputable frame shop they were able to get more alignment corrected by moving the subframe, something Lexus does not do. Night and day difference on how the cars drive.
Old 11-14-16, 11:02 AM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BigRick82
I've owned a few GX's; a '10,'13 and currently a '15 fully loaded that was decked out for the daughter of Ex-Gov of Tx (Rick Perry) who ended up not taking delivery, not one of them has ever had great alignment. After owning an 09 IS I also had alignment issues and steering wheels that were never straight. After a visit to a reputable frame shop they were able to get more alignment corrected by moving the subframe, something Lexus does not do. Night and day difference on how the cars drive.
Wow, loosening the sub frame seems extremely excessive. Especially considering there isn't that much play in it. I've removed the sub frame on the front of my G35 a few times and never had issues with getting the car aligned afterwards, even with a lot of suspension mods. This seems a bit unlikely unless you saw them actually loosening it and hammering it (the engine sits on it, it doesn't just move that easily).

I'm curious what types of air pressure the guys that are having alignment issues run? I run about 38PSI at all 4 corners and have no alignment issues. I've had my GX nearly a foot in the air once, bottomed out several times off roading and even bumped rocks with the wheels. When I drive on the freeway, it has no noticeable pull and even tire wear at the 12k mark.

Do the people with excessive pulling have air suspension? I use to do alignments and found air suspension was always much more difficult to get to track straight vs spring suspension.
Old 12-03-16, 09:44 AM
sblanker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to this Forum. Own a 2012 GX 460, bought in 2013. Does anyone know, or know where I can find, the recommended wheel alignment specs? Had 4 new tires put on yesterday at a local branch of a large New England tire chain. The price included front wheel alignment and I paid for them to also do the rear wheels. They gave me a print-out of the alignment work -- there was absolutely no change on the rear wheels. My husband is convinced they didn't do them. Also, I'm reading with interest the previous comments on this thread about issues with the GX pulling. I've notice a little of this since buying the car, but didn't think too much about it. BUT, about a year ago when I brought the car in for regular service, the dealer reported the tires were wearing unevenly. This could be caused by poor alignment, right?

Thanks for any insights.
Old 12-03-16, 01:42 PM
Todd6571
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Uneven tire wear can be caused by poor alignment, which can be exacerbated by worn out suspension components.

My 2011 GX 460 premium (135000 miles) tracks straight, and the steering wheel is right at top dead center. No pulling. I'm sure everyone is aware that a road with a high crown, crosswind, and uneven tire inflation will make any car feel like it's pulling.
Old 12-05-16, 12:08 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sblanker
New to this Forum. Own a 2012 GX 460, bought in 2013. Does anyone know, or know where I can find, the recommended wheel alignment specs? Had 4 new tires put on yesterday at a local branch of a large New England tire chain. The price included front wheel alignment and I paid for them to also do the rear wheels. They gave me a print-out of the alignment work -- there was absolutely no change on the rear wheels. My husband is convinced they didn't do them. Also, I'm reading with interest the previous comments on this thread about issues with the GX pulling. I've notice a little of this since buying the car, but didn't think too much about it. BUT, about a year ago when I brought the car in for regular service, the dealer reported the tires were wearing unevenly. This could be caused by poor alignment, right?

Thanks for any insights.
FYI, the GX460 is a solid rear axle. You can't align a solid rear axle. Only the front can be aligned. If you have a printout, it should tell you the optimal spec and the current spec.

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns