GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Alignment questions & concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-17, 05:51 AM
Jreask
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We signed a lease two months ago on a 2017 GX460. It also veers to the right with the steering wheel slightly off center to the left. It is actually going in for service for this problem today. Also found a 2" diameter circle of oil or some type fluid on the garage floor under the car. Don't know what it is, but I had a 2005 GX470 that had 250K miles on it and never had a single fluid leak.
Old 10-18-17, 06:27 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

We too seem to have the alignment problem. New tires, no accidents, etc. I believe the members of this forum when they state "it's seems to be normal for this vehicle".

However, before knowing all this I persisted with my local alignment shop (a national chain with a good reputation). On the third alignment attempt, they adjusted the caster on the passenger side front wheel. It made a big difference. They stated that there isn't a "factory" way to adjust this, so apparently they loosened bolts and "tweaked" things. I don't know for certain what they did, but the issue has been minimized. I appreciate GOHUSKERS comments and agree with them completely. Just a couple of days ago it was very windy around here and we made a 30-mile road trip. Often times I felt I was battling the wind. What also seemed odd is that on the way to our destination (the wind was blowing from the left) I had the steering wheel pointed at the "11 o'clock" position to keep the vehicle going straight. On the way home (wind now blowing from the right), I could keep the steering wheel almost at the 12 o'clock position with just small corrections to stay straight.

A few hours later (but still as windy) we made the same trip in my 2015 GS350. I purposely chose to take it because driving the wife's GX (in the strong wind) was not fun! With my GS, the steering wheel stayed straight with just a few corrections each way.

Last edited by DallasDave; 01-20-18 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-18-17, 07:50 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
We too seem to have the alignment problem. New tires, no accidents, etc. I believe the members of this forum when they state "it's seems to be normal for this vehicle".

However, before knowing all this I persisted with my local alignment shop (a national chain with a good reputation). On the third alignment attempt, they adjusted the castor on the passenger side front wheel. It made a big difference. They stated that there isn't a "factory" way to adjust this, so apparently they loosened bolts and "tweaked" things. I don't know for certain what they did, but the issue has been minimized. I appreciate GOHUSKERS comments and agree with them completely. Just a couple of days ago it was very windy around here and we made a 30-mile road trip. Often times I felt I was battling the wind. What also seemed odd is that on the way to our destination (the wind was blowing from the left) I had the steering wheel pointed at the "11 o'clock" position to keep the vehicle going straight. On the way home (wind now blowing from the right), I could keep the steering wheel almost at the 12 o'clock position with just small corrections to stay straight.

A few hours later (but still as windy) we made the same trip in my 2015 GS350. I purposely chose to take it because driving the wife's GX (in the strong wind) was not fun! With my GS, the steering wheel stayed straight with just a few corrections each way.
Yeah...Some days I HATE driving the GX, other days it is perfectly fine. My wife didn't seem to care much about that issue. On the SAME road, my lifted Taco, Tundra, and now my NX FSport track straight but GX would pull to right.

I had done alignment TWICE, helped little but back to the same issues.
Old 10-18-17, 08:33 AM
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How odd. My father in law has a gx470 07 and that thing is straight as an arrow and rock solid. It was one of the reasons why I decided to get my wife in to a gx460 for or family. I understand that gx sales accounts for a very small part of Toyota/Lexus sales. But I would think if it’s like some suspension issue or reinforcement issue, they would offer a recall to address this problem for gx owners. Sounds to me that lots of people are having this issue... this may deter future gx buyers from even considering the truck let alone the brand. Oh well life goes on ��
Old 10-18-17, 08:34 AM
Black16
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

"A skilled wheel alignment technician offsets the vehicle alignment very slightly. This allows for a road crown. With a properly set wheel alignment the vehicle drives straight, on most roads."

I wonder how many techs are skilled enough to do this or whether they just align it dead straight. This might also help to correct the right side pull.
Old 10-18-17, 08:43 AM
Driver School Candidate

Hehe I would still trust Toyota’s specs for safety than tweeking it just to calm my ocd. It’s annoying for sure but if it is just a characteristic of the truck and does not affec safely, I think I’ll just accept the fact. What if someone made adjustments but at like higher speeds it isn’t stable or something. I’m not too mechanically knowledgeable so I would just want it how Toyota wants it. In case something were to happen caused by this, it would be on Toyota and not on the owner who took it out of spec..
Old 10-18-17, 07:30 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

Have a '16 and it exhibits the same exact issues you are describing. I took it in twice and they say it's normal... There is another thread that talks about this with people saying it's "fixed", but no one has a clear cut answer on how the dealer or tire shop fixed it.
Old 10-18-17, 09:21 PM
Driver School Candidate

I was curious and looked up the Landcruiser Prado, the cousin, and google searched “Prado veering” and it talks about same issue for the prado as well but veering left. I think they are right hand drive over seas. Anyway I thought that it was interesting and worth mentioning. As funny as it may sound, maybe it was a weird safety feature lol. Obviously if you are gonna ever off the road you’d want to veer off away from on coming traffic... Just an idea. The crown is a crown. I’ve owned / drove a good hand full of cars and it’s odd that just now on this vehicle only I am experiencing it. Just drove the wife’s car today, and I must say it is a sweet ride. I kinda like the rugged feel like body on frame truck feel. Def feels more like a truck than a regular suv or crossover. I’m glad I found this forum, glad that this issue isn’t a new topic because that gives me some peace of mind since it’s mainly used by my wife to haul our kids too. Overall we’ve had it for about a month now (bought used) and she a bit more than I but we are both happy with the purchase.
Old 10-19-17, 11:59 AM
GB2011GX
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

No one is mentioning another obvious possibility, drag. Jack it up (blocked and in neutral) and spin the wheels BY HAND (passenger side front and rear) to make sure you don't have a brake caliper locking up or at least improperly receding.
My brother had a Fiat 2-seater with a bad habit of locking calipers. In his case, it was something to do with the emergency brake not releasing. Also check for a bad bearing.

It could be aligned straight as an arrow, but something else is causing drag on one side.
Old 01-19-18, 01:05 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

Is there a website where I can look up the original OEM alignment spec for 2015 GX460? My last alignment (done at local Lexus dealership) shows positive toe (front) and negative toe/angle (rear).
Old 01-19-18, 05:58 PM
TheHighLow
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Digging up an old thread. My 18 has yet to exhibit this. Is this pretty much an issue for every truck or do some folks have straight running trucks?
Old 02-14-18, 06:20 PM
bbqsoup
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 425 Posts
Default Alignment done at dealer?

My local dealer is advertising 4 wheel alignment for $160. Is it worth it?
I usually had it done at Wheelworks and never really satisfied with it. Is Lexus any better or I’m better of getting lifetime one from Firestone?
Old 02-14-18, 11:46 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

it really depends on the alignment machine. If they are using the new Hunter alignment machines, those are top notch and do a real good job of being accurate. I prefer the dealer to do the alignments since they are familiar with the car and my local dealer uses Hunter. In general setting things like the toe will be the same on any car, but adjusting the camber and caster can be a bit trickier. The better machines will have a printout of a before and after with all specs listed so you know how your suspension is sitting.
Old 02-15-18, 05:57 AM
spd33
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Personally I found a Firestone that came recommended on the local Taco/T4R/FJ forums as being very good w/ Toyota 4x4s and went with their lifetime alignment. These trucks seem to have recurring alignment issues and I'd hate to be out $160 every time.
Old 02-15-18, 06:48 AM
cicio
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 Firestone lifetime alignment

Quick Reply: Alignment questions & concerns