GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Question for current owners.... Should I do it??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 06:01 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by landdmom
So, first of all let me admit that I am not looking at the GX for the towing at all. I am, as I think many others are, just a mom who runs around town with my kids... I have driven a ton of CUV's...Volvo XC90, Pilot, GMC Acadia and Yukon, Dodge Durango and an MDX. Nothing has overly impressed me and I keep coming back to the GX. I love the height and drive and comfort. I only have 2 kids, so while I don't need the 3rd row, and will most always keep it down, it is nice when the kids have a friend or we want to haul the grandparents. The biggest thing that concerns me is the back door, how annoying is it really?? I currently drive an Odyssey, and realize I will be giving up tons of cargo space, but that power liftgate is really nice. Do you find that the manual side swinging door is superobnoxious or is it livable?? I really love most everything else about this car, and have driven it twice. Each time I left the dealership after staring at that door. Opinions????
Before we bought our RX F-Sport two years ago we seriously considered the GX.. Even though IMO it felt a little underpowered, overall I liked it and still wanted to buy it. My wife also liked it until it came to the cargo door, she just couldn't get past the rear cargo door opening sideways. She came up with every scenario where she felt the cargo door would be an issue. I didn't think it was a big deal but since the GX would have been her primary vehicle I left the final decision up to her.

However, even though we have no complaints with the RX and she's happy with it, exactly a year from now when we are getting ready to replace the RX, she wants to look at the GX again. I think she's trying to convince herself that she can live with the rear door.

BTW, have you decided on a vehicle yet?
Old 08-07-16, 06:30 PM
WHITE93GT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a seriously hijacked thread. No manners. Lol
Old 08-07-16, 07:00 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by WHITE93GT
This is a seriously hijacked thread. No manners. Lol
Sorry, but mostly replies regarding the rear gate here and the OP has not chimed in to steer this thread . "No manners"
Old 08-07-16, 07:42 PM
mikeps2006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the back door doesn't bother me a bit..
Old 08-23-16, 01:05 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

It does bother me, not to the point of being a deal breaker, but just can't really understand why they can't have a tail gate like the Sequioa where the whole thing lifts up from struts.

If I want to get something out of the tailgate area, I have to open my garage door because it swings out so wide. If you're picking someone up like say from the airport, the door opens into the person loading luggage. If you're on an incline, you have to lock the gate because it wants to shut itself, etc.

Its an awkward system that could easily be replaced by something better. You get used to it, but when you use an SUV with a hinge on top, it really does point out how strange the GX rear door is.
Old 08-23-16, 03:03 PM
Nickk6
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
It does bother me, not to the point of being a deal breaker, but just can't really understand why they can't have a tail gate like the Sequioa where the whole thing lifts up from struts.

If I want to get something out of the tailgate area, I have to open my garage door because it swings out so wide. If you're picking someone up like say from the airport, the door opens into the person loading luggage. If you're on an incline, you have to lock the gate because it wants to shut itself, etc.

Its an awkward system that could easily be replaced by something better. You get used to it, but when you use an SUV with a hinge on top, it really does point out how strange the GX rear door is.
Now that I've had plenty of time with the GX, I prefer the swing arm to the hatch. Opening and closing the GX is easier than the RX, its also quicker since since there is no strut. I went to the airport to pickup my girl friend, it was not inconvenient at all. I can understand if I lived in San Francisco and parked on crazy inclines that this wouldn't work, but honestly after 9 months, the only time I think about the door is when I visit CL or actually open my damn trunk. The real annoyance with the GX is the lousy infotainment system.
Old 08-23-16, 04:05 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 871 Likes on 604 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Now that I've had plenty of time with the GX, I prefer the swing arm to the hatch. Opening and closing the GX is easier than the RX, its also quicker since since there is no strut. I went to the airport to pickup my girl friend, it was not inconvenient at all. I can understand if I lived in San Francisco and parked on crazy inclines that this wouldn't work, but honestly after 9 months, the only time I think about the door is when I visit CL or actually open my damn trunk. The real annoyance with the GX is the lousy infotainment system.
I do deal with crazy inclines in my customers driveways and it works fine (if fully opened). There is an option to lock the strut to keep it open, but I haven't needed it. Please no rain though
Old 08-24-16, 01:08 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickk6

So it's not an issue for you because you rarely "open your damn trunk"? Not surprising then its not really an issue for you.

The only other SUVs that have a door like that are tiny 'utes like the RAV4, and no truck bed swings open that way. It's clearly not a feature that's in demand by the public and the rear door is one of the biggest complaints about the vehicle. Just about every car magazine will bring up how awkward it is.

It's a real joy to use when its raining or snowing and you're loading up the rear and your rear storage gets soaking wet. Or if you have mud on the bumper and you get to open it up through the mud and bring it back into the vehicle. It is an off-road vehicle after all. Or if you have to park on the street or sidewalk, good luck loading your gear, you have to take it to the middle of the road, and have PLENTY of room for the door to open from other cars.

Lexus is crazy to keep this design.
Old 08-24-16, 07:53 PM
bd5400
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Coulter

Lexus is crazy to keep this design.
I've read that it's designed that way because the Prado has a tailgate mounted spare. It allows for the spare to sit on the rear door where it would be too heavy for a lift gate. So long as the design is kept for the Prado, Lexus will keep it for the GX. They aren't going to cut into profits redesigning the rear of the car.

I, for whatever reason, like it. I find it much easier to use than a lift gate since I'm often backed against walls in both my garage at home and at work. It's far easier to open it a little to reach inside than having to deal with struts shoving the door into the wall as it tries to open upward.

Having a roll down window is a higher priority for me.
Old 08-25-16, 04:45 AM
paui4m
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Having had the GX for 3 months now, and also having a 4R, I have to say I think I like the GX tailgate better.
It's easier/quicker to get in and out of, and the flip up glass avoids having to open the whole gate for something simple.
I'm sure this depends in part on what you use your vehicle for, but I can see this being an advantage in upcoming hunting and fishing trips as well. (aside maybe from when it's raining as others have stated)

The rear roll down window is really nice in the 4R.
That said, I rarely use it. The sheer volume of crap that collects all over the inside after even a few minutes of driving with that open is remarkable.....
The 4R is a purpose driven vehicle, but it doesn't mean I want it covered in crud all the time.....