GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-20, 07:08 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

can anyone recommend a shop that could do this is MA?
I asked the dealer, but they said no, because 'its sealed!'
Old 05-18-20, 07:18 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Yelp is a good way to find local shops with good reviews. Many Toyota dealers also service Lexus vehicles and charge about 1/2 for the same work.
​​​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-19-20 at 08:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WRD4chano (05-18-20)
Old 05-19-20, 09:05 AM
skrypj
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by WRD4chano
can anyone recommend a shop that could do this is MA?
I asked the dealer, but they said no, because 'its sealed!'
I had a transmission shop do mine when I first bought it at 73k miles. That was the first time it was done.

One thing I would watch for is how the shop does it. They should be just doing a drain and fill, not a power flush. The guy I brought it too said that a power flush is the worst thing you can do because it stirs up sediment that had settled into the cracks and crevices of the transmission and once that stuff flows to the valve bodies, it's all over.
Old 05-19-20, 09:43 AM
Romanova
Racer

Received 756 Likes on 535 Posts

Love every time this thread pops up, so many people getting this job done on their own. Speaking of which, need to order a few more bottles of fluid and do this one more time on mine before the weather gets too much hotter here in Houston.
The following 2 users liked this post by Romanova:
Acrad (05-19-20), nuclearn8 (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 06:49 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by skrypj
I had a transmission shop do mine when I first bought it at 73k miles. That was the first time it was done.

One thing I would watch for is how the shop does it. They should be just doing a drain and fill, not a power flush. The guy I brought it too said that a power flush is the worst thing you can do because it stirs up sediment that had settled into the cracks and crevices of the transmission and once that stuff flows to the valve bodies, it's all over.
appreciate the response, that thing about using a machine, the guy in the video above even mentioned to avoid that.

Ive reached out to some friends who work on trucks and theyve recommend a transmission shop thats fairly close to me, so ill reach out to them and ask if they know how to work on these trucks.
Old 06-29-20, 12:48 PM
chris01919
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission fluid change

I'm changing the front and rear diff fluids as well as the transfer case as recommended in the service manual. It also recommends changing the transmission fluid around 60,000 miles if you tow so I called the dealer and asked about this and they said "NO, it's a SEALED unit...we don't touch those." Why does it recommend replacing in the manual? This makes NO sense why there's conflicting information.

Old 06-29-20, 01:20 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

How many miles on your GX ?
Old 06-29-20, 01:29 PM
dwh13
Pit Crew

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

More than you could ever care to read about the topic has been discussed here - it's a great resource if you want to DIY or just spend hours and hours reading about fluid theories
Acrad (06-29-20)
Old 06-30-20, 12:14 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

The manufacturer of the transmission recommends a drain and refill every 30k miles. Lifetime fluid is a marketing ploy by Lexus of North America to keep maintenance cost lower.
The following 4 users liked this post by Lavrishevo:
AlexDev (07-01-23), ASE (07-02-20), nuclearn8 (06-30-20), RedRacer (06-30-20)
Old 07-02-20, 06:23 AM
chris01919
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
How many miles on your GX ?
80,000 with some towing miles. I can understand if they want to keep costs lower or whatever but the manual states to change the fluid yet the dealer won't do it. How does that make sense? They don't seem to care about keeping costs lower when they recommend changing diff fluids at 15,000 miles.
Old 07-02-20, 09:33 AM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,067 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
The manufacturer of the transmission recommends a drain and refill every 30k miles. Lifetime fluid is a marketing ploy by Lexus of North America to keep maintenance cost lower.
... and 10,000 mile oil change intervals ... both a result of "Marketing Wars" between manufacturers as to who can offer the least maintenance vehicle to their customers ... and consumers fall for this absolute BS marketing strategy.

So why do the manufacturers do this ? ... because they know that no issues will result during the warranty period, so they have no liability. For them, this is all about the marketing spin of doing a "one-up" on the competition by being "lower(er) maintenance". The manufacturers also know that the average new car owner flips their new vehicle every 6-years ... so will not experience any resulting issues ... that will fall on subsequent owner(s).

One can filter through the endless ego driven forum arguments on recommended fluids and fluid change intervals ... or can get to the bottom line by cutting through the personal opinion, marketing spin and US regulations that compromise using the best fluid specifications in the interest of fuel economy ... and extended change intervals in the interest of the environment and improved sales.

So for me ... who owns my vehicles forever ... I research the non-US recommendations (for the Toyota Prado) ... Japan, Australia, etc ... for fluid specifications and change intervals. At least for now, they have not been completely corrupted by special interest(s).

Last edited by ASE; 07-02-20 at 02:20 PM.
nuclearn8 (07-02-20)
Old 07-02-20, 01:23 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,067 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by chris01919
I'm changing the front and rear diff fluids as well as the transfer case as recommended in the service manual. It also recommends changing the transmission fluid around 60,000 miles if you tow so I called the dealer and asked about this and they said "NO, it's a SEALED unit...we don't touch those." Why does it recommend replacing in the manual? This makes NO sense why there's conflicting information.
It might seem like a saving grace to find a shop that has the necessary (expensive) equipment to properly change-out 100% of the transmission fluid ... but this equipment does impose potential risks. If not properly set up or maintained, your vehicle can "inherit" contamination from previous vehicles that were connected to this machine ... so may defeat the purpose, or even make the situation worse. That's why many argue for the multiple dump-and-refill method to refresh the transmission fluid closer to 100% new ... no need for the expensive change-out equipment while eliminating the associated potential risks.

Last edited by ASE; 07-02-20 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 01:48 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't think it's necessary to change the fluid like this. The 100% method. Aisin recommends a drain and refill this is perfectly fine. You are not gaining anything by changing out all the fluid at the same time. IMO, consistently adding new fluid at the 30k interval is ideal. This is how guys in the LS forums are getting very high mileage out of their transmissions. It is better to consistently add new fluid more often vs waiting until high mileage and doing it all at once. It's all about maintaining that level of those additives that prevent clutch pack wear. If I'm using the right terminology.

​​​​

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-02-20 at 01:58 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lavrishevo:
Acrad (07-02-20), ASE (07-02-20), nuclearn8 (07-02-20)
Old 07-03-20, 08:36 PM
tonyjh63
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While on the subject of simply doing a drain-n-fill, I have a question: when doing just a single drain-n-fill, should use only the Toyota factory fluid, or can you add a compatible synthetic? In other words, can you mix OEM and an aftermarket synthetic? Thanks!
Old 07-03-20, 09:14 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyjh63
While on the subject of simply doing a drain-n-fill, I have a question: when doing just a single drain-n-fill, should use only the Toyota factory fluid, or can you add a compatible synthetic? In other words, can you mix OEM and an aftermarket synthetic? Thanks!
Unless the formulas are spec wise different...you shouldnt have a problem. Anyways a drain and fill your not able to change the majority of fluid anyways so until you are able to work a couple of these in, you will still be using factory fluid for the most part

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change