GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 12:48 PM
Veliksam
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Romanova
Your transmission does not need anything other than WS, certainly not at your mileage.
Well it's too late now, they've already violated my GX. Next time i will not allow them to do all that un-necessary stuff.
At least it still shifts super smooth 😎
Old 07-10-20, 02:39 PM
ASE
Pole Position

Received 1,067 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Veliksam
Maybe this will answer your question?

I just love the language used by dealerships these days. It used to be "Problem" and Service Performed". Now it's "Customer States" and "Charge for Concern" ... language designed by attorneys to dance around any potential liability. At $130+ per hour one would think that would also include accountability.

Last edited by ASE; 07-10-20 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nuclearn8 (07-11-20)
Old 07-10-20, 03:36 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I notice they did use the golden fluid as PN matches but only lists 1 quart. I can't remember at the moment how much I pumped in but owner's manual states 1.5 quarts and had some left on my second quart can when I did mine..

Old 07-10-20, 04:10 PM
nuclearn8
Instructor

Received 616 Likes on 371 Posts

Transfer case takes 1.5 qts of fluid, just did it. Perhaps they had .5qt leftover and open from a previous TC service and used it without charging him... this would be best case scenario.
Acrad (07-10-20)
Old 08-23-20, 05:53 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Hello everyone, I have a 2014 GX460 that was purchased brand new roughly 6 (almost 7) years ago. It has 134,000 miles on it. It has been serviced at a Lexus dealership its entire life every 5,000 miles and has followed the maintenance guide. It has never had a transmission fluid flush or change because of their "lifetime fluid" claim. I recently stumbled on this thread and I am conflicted about whether it is too late to get the fluid changed or if I am still within that window. My goal is obviously to maximize the lifespan of the vehicle. Additionally, I am not keen on taking the risk doing it myself so I would probably get it done at the dealership. Basically I am wondering if it is too late to get the fluid changed and if it isn't will a full drain and replace be good for the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-23-20, 06:55 PM
LexusGXFan
Pole Position

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

It's so easy to do and when you do it yourself, you know it's done correctly !!!

You're going to get all types of responses of what to put back in, but it's cheap insurance for your transmission.

You are past the LIFETIME with your mileage.

Old 08-23-20, 07:00 PM
Romanova
Racer

Received 756 Likes on 535 Posts

Originally Posted by Ab175
Hello everyone, I have a 2014 GX460 that was purchased brand new roughly 6 (almost 7) years ago. It has 134,000 miles on it. It has been serviced at a Lexus dealership its entire life every 5,000 miles and has followed the maintenance guide. It has never had a transmission fluid flush or change because of their "lifetime fluid" claim. I recently stumbled on this thread and I am conflicted about whether it is too late to get the fluid changed or if I am still within that window. My goal is obviously to maximize the lifespan of the vehicle. Additionally, I am not keen on taking the risk doing it myself so I would probably get it done at the dealership. Basically I am wondering if it is too late to get the fluid changed and if it isn't will a full drain and replace be good for the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Do it yourself because it will be expensive to do it at the dealer. A case of fluid, a fluid pump, and an OBD2 reader isn't that expensive. Do 3 D&Fs, then drop the pan and change the filter and gasket. I did mine at 120k-ish, no issues.

Seriously, EVERYTHING you need is in this thread to do it yourself. If ****I**** can do it, you can do it.
Acrad (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 07:18 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LexusGXFan
It's so easy to do and when you do it yourself, you know it's done correctly !!!

You're going to get all types of responses of what to put back in, but it's cheap insurance for your transmission.

You are past the LIFETIME with your mileage.
Thanks for the quick answers, the only thing I am worried about is the fact that I am passed the "lifetime" of my fluid. I am worried that changing it now will cause slippage and the transmission to not function properly. Can anyone comment on how GXs around 130k or higher mileage responded to this fluid change?

Additionally, if I choose to do this myself, it will be my first experience working on any car (besides extremely minor things, such as AC filter) and I am nervous to do it on such an expensive vehicle. To be completely honest, I am still kind of feeling like I should not fix what is not broken, however, I am shooting for 200k miles and I want to do everything to help me get there lol.

Thanks.

Last edited by Ab175; 08-23-20 at 07:25 PM. Reason: fixed confusing wording
Old 08-23-20, 07:25 PM
Romanova
Racer

Flushing is what higher mileage trannys don't like (depending on who you ask). To just drain and fill, that goes with the notion that the solution to pollution is dilution. You're going to dilute the old fluid with new fluid and after several drain and fills, you'll primarily have new fluid in there.

It's easy to do, but if you're not mechanically handy or inclined, look for a good indy mechanic to do it. Where in TX are you? Just educate yourself on the process as outlined in this thread and make sure it is followed and that they only use Toyota WS fluid, as well as an OEM filter/strainer and whatever gasket you want. A Lexus dealer is going to cost probably close to $600+ to do it the right way, factoring in the time, parts, and fluid...
Acrad (08-23-20)
Old 08-23-20, 07:36 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,671 Likes on 2,401 Posts

I wouldn't have any concerns changing fluid at 130k miles. Unless there was already some pre-existing condition these transmissions seem to do fine with high mileage fluid changes. I personally can't recall a story of someone saying "I changed AT fluid on my 460 and it failed shortly afterward".
Old 08-23-20, 07:40 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

I'm in the Houston area, I was planning on calling a shop called J&T automotive tomorrow to consult them on this. I know my father has used their shop a couple times and they do good work. Plus their reviews are fantastic. To be honest as long as it gets done right I think around the 500$ mark is ok with me. If you have any recommendations please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-23-20, 07:52 PM
Romanova
Racer

Originally Posted by Ab175
I'm in the Houston area, I was planning on calling a shop called J&T automotive tomorrow to consult them on this. I know my father has used their shop a couple times and they do good work. Plus their reviews are fantastic. To be honest as long as it gets done right I think around the 500$ mark is ok with me. If you have any recommendations please let me know. Thanks
I'm in Houston as well, though my schedule doesn't have any free time for the next few months or else I'd be happy to help you with it. Check out Duggy's Garage, they do a lot of Lexus and Toyota work. Clearchoice Lexus (indy) also does good work, but they are a bit expensive (not as expensive as the dealer).
Old 08-23-20, 07:54 PM
Jacket
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

As others have said, there's definitely no panic situation here. But it's good that you are aware of the options and want to take care of your GX for the long haul. Draining and filling AT has been standard practice for some time, but the complexities with the GX is the lack of a fill tube and that the accurate fill level process is a bit of a pain. Some Lexus dealers claim ignorance to the process, and others may not do it to the level of precision described by the FSM. If you trust J&T and they work on Toyota/Japanese platforms then maybe that's a good option. Hell - just have them look at Faye's Youtube video and that should provide plenty of clarity about what you want.

You could also check out Duggie's Garage or Javiers in the Houston area. If they can't help you they can probably provide some leads.
Old 08-23-20, 08:11 PM
Ab175
Intermediate

I will contact Duggys tomorrow when they open. You guys have been really helpful, much appreciated.
Old 08-23-20, 08:59 PM
tonyjh63
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drain and Fill

So what is the quickest, easiest way to do a simple drain and fill on a 2012 GX? I figure to do a drain and fill, drive for ten minutes, then repeat twice. Thanks!
Tony

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change